Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Eddie Albert (Green Acres) was awarded the Bronze Star w/ Combat V for saving the lives of 47 Marines at Tarawa, 1943.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Eddie Albert (Green Acres) was awarded the Bronze Star w/ Combat V for saving the lives of 47 Marines at Tarawa, 1943.

I was just getting ready to post this

http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/niminoa.htm

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
This one is well known but I'll post it just in case.....

Jimi Hendrix served as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne in the early to mid 1960's.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mr. Rogers was a Navy SEAL in 'Nam!   He wore long sleeves to hide his tats.

I just wikied this to get the details since its a total mind blower and it said that its a urban legend and he never served?
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just wikied this to get the details since its a total mind blower and it said that its a urban legend and he never served?
It's a V-E-R-Y old joke......

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
John Banner AKA Master Sergeant Hans Georg Schultz Hogan's Heroes
A veteran of World War I

John Banner was 8 when WW1 ended. Sgt. Schultz was a veteran of WW1.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.palletmastersworkshop.com/flipside.html
Jason
Robards, Jr.,  
Born July 22, 1922, in Chicago, Robards Jr. was a
military man before he became an actor (joining at 17). He served in the
U.S. Navy, as a Radioman on the U.S.S. Northampton, home ported in
Pearl Harbor, by chance his ship was at sea during the December 7, 1941
attack on Pearl Harbor.  Jason served in 14 major battles in the
Pacific, including Guadalcanal, Tassafaronga, Rabaul, Rendova-New
Georgia, Doolittle's Raid, Kula Gulf, Leyte, Bougainville, Saipan, Guam,
Marianas, Vila.  Jason received the Navy Cross for his "Extraordinary
Heroism" during the battle of Tassafaronga,
American Campaign Medal;
National Defense Medal; Philippines Liberation Medal (w/four battle
stars); China Service Medal; Asiatic Pacific Theater Medal (w/ten battle
stars and Overseas Service Bar.  He spent 7 years in the Navy before he
was Honorably Discharged in 1947.

Harold
Russell
joined the U.S. Army on Dec. 8, 1941, the day after the attack
on Pearl Harbor; as an Instructor in the Parachute Corps.  Sgt. Russell
was working as an explosives expert in 1944 when a defective fuse
exploded a charge of TNT he was holding as he instructed a demolition
squad at Camp Mackall, N.C. Both hands were amputated. For his
performance in "Best Years of our Lives" (1946), Russell won both the
Academy Award as the year's Best Supporting Actor and a second, honorary
Oscar "For bringing hope and courage to his fellow veterans." He is the
only actor ever to win two Oscars for the same role. He became an avid
advocate for the disabled for the rest of his life and served three
terms as the Commander of AMVETS.

Neville
Brand
served in the U. S. Army during WWII.  While convalescing from
his wounds at the 21st General Hospital he was awarded the Silver Star
for Gallantry in Combat. His other Awards and Decorations are the Purple
Heart, the Good Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Ribbon, the
European/African/Middle Eastern Theater Ribbon with three Battle Stars,
one Overseas Service Bar, one Service Stripe, and the Combat
Infantryman's Badge.

Lee
Powell,
the silver screen's first Lone Ranger (1938).  He enlisted in
the Marines in the Summer of 1942, and saw action at Tarawa and Saipan.
On July 30, 1944, Sgt. Lee Powell, serial number 442926, 18th Regiment,
2nd Marine Division, was killed in action on Tinian (Marianas Islands).
 He was buried in Tinian Cemetery, but in March, 1949, his remains were
transferred to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, Honolulu,
Hawaii (AKA 'The Punchbowl'). On March 14, 1949 he was laid to rest in
Section F, Gravesite Number 1246.

John
Russell:
In 1942, he enlisted in the Marine Corps, and it was during
the battle for Guadacanal where he received a Battlefield Commission and
was wounded and highly decorated for valor, his Medals and Decorations
include The Navy/Marine Cross,
American Campaign Medal; National Defense
Medal; Philippines Liberation Medal (w/battle star); Asiatic Pacific
Theater Medal (w/battle star and Overseas Service Bar.

Rod
Serling:
After graduation Serling enlisted in the United States Army.
Beginning in May 1944 he served with the 511th Parachute Infantry
Regiment of the 11th Airborne Division in New Guinea and during the
invasion of the Philippines. He was awarded the Purple Heart for a
severe shrapnel wound to his knee, American Campaign Medal; National
Defense Medal; Philippines Liberation Medal (w/battle star); Asiatic
Pacific Theater Medal (w/battle star and Overseas Service Bar.

David Niven was a Sandhurst Graduate and Lt. Colonel of the British Commandos in Normandy.

Donald
Pleasance
(The Great Escape) really was an R. A. F. Fighter Pilot who
was shot down, held prisoner and tortured by the Germans

James
Arness
served in the U.S. Army and was wounded at Anzio. He received
both the Purple Heart and a Bronze Star Medal for Valor, the Good
Conduct Medal, the American Defense Service Ribbon, the European Theater
Ribbon with four Battle Stars, one Overseas Service Bar.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The guy who runs Red Jacket served in the Marine Corps.  The day he took the oath of enlistment was a game changer.

The Old Man from Pawn Stars served in the Navy.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#9]
This one surprised me when I found out about him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Riggle
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Kris Kristofferson was a Captain in the Army.

Captain Kangaroo was a Marine (enlisten in WW2, war ended before he was deployed).
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Mr. T.
Very interesting story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drew Carey is a former US Marine.

You are never a "former" Marine.

What the hell, we can't call them former Marines any longer?

I was never a Marine, but I have always been told that saying "Former Marine" was proper for a person no longer serving.

That's what I was saying, not too long ago I remember on this website no less someone saying so-and-so was an ex-Marine, and damn near every post after that was "FORMER MARINE, there are no ex-Marines!. For YEARS it's been that way... guess this is the rule now.

Quoted:

BUT, there has been an actual determination by the Commandant, the official term is "Veteran Marine".

Well there you go, "so it is written, so shall it be done"

The commandant of the Marine Corps is not the boss of me.  I'll say ex or if I think about it, former.

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:23:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a V-E-R-Y old joke......

Weird Al explains it all

Link Posted: 8/23/2011 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Growing up,, all the Men,, the Fathers in my neighborhood were veterans of WWII or the Korean War.

As Actors go,,back in the day,,,, Many of them were the real deal, and it showed in the movies they were in,,

Doesn't say much for many,,,, the crop of left wing, coward nut jobs, that play action hero's in today's movies,,

Charlie Sheen comes to mind,

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Growing up one of our neighbors was Charles Durning , I went to school with his daughter and son. I never knew until recently that he landed on Omaha beach on D-day.

Durning served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Drafted at age 21, he was first assigned as a rifleman with the 398th Infantry Regiment, and later served overseas with the 3rd Army Support troops and the 386th Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) Battalion. For his valor and the wounds he received during the war, Durning was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Heart medals.[citation needed]
Durning participated in the Normandy Invasion of France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and was among the first troops to land at Omaha Beach. Some sources state that he was with the 1st Infantry Division at the time, but it is unclear if he served as a rifleman or as a member of one of the division's artillery battalions.[citation needed]
Durning was wounded by a German “S” Mine on June 15, 1944, at Les Mare des Mares, France. He was transported by the 499th Medical Collection Company to the 24th Evacuation Hospital. By June 17 he was back in England at the 217th General Hospital. Although severely wounded by shrapnel in the left and right thighs, the right hand, the frontal region of the head, and the anterior left chest wall, Durning recovered quickly and was determined to be fit for duty on December 6, 1944. He arrived back at the front in time to take part in the Battle of the Bulge, the German counter-offensive through the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg in December 1944.[2][3]
After being wounded again, this time in the chest, Durning was repatriated to the United States. He remained in Army hospitals to receive treatment for wounds until being discharged with the rank of Private First Class on January 30, 1946.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lee Marvin was a US Marine Sniper in WWII

seen here in THE BIG RED ONE

http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/8/88/TBRO_18.jpg

Yeah.. got a copy of the Dirty Dozen on Blu-Ray not too long ago, and among the special features is the last bit of film that Lee Marvin acted in before he died, a leadership training film for the Marines... pretty damn cool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never would have thought that !

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sl0RuUrHaO4/TXmKIA8NRsI/AAAAAAAAEro/QeOi4IBliEY/s1600/Drew_Carey-Marines.jpg

damn look at that shitbag haircut
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Paul Newman, US Navy
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have ever been a professional soldier of one kind or another, you will understand what I mean when I say that you can take the uniform off and put it in the closet, and you can return to civilian life and work in the private sector, but the warrior ethic - who you once were - you can't "take that off", because it is a part of you forever.

The Marines have a saying that sums that up: "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

You can say someone "served as a Marine" or "was a Marine" to indicate past-tense, sure, but to me, saying "former Marine" kind of misses that whole concept I outlined above.

YMMV.

Good explanation, that really hit the nail on the head. I've always called myself and others who were discharged from our beloved Corps "former" Marines (definitely not "Ex-Marine")...but I think that will stop today.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Steve McQueen: USMC 1947-1950

Military service

In 1947, McQueen joined the United States Marine Corps and was quickly promoted to Private First Class and assigned to an armored unit. Initially, he reverted to his prior rebelliousness, and as a result was demoted to private seven times. He went UA (unauthorized absence) by failing to return after a weekend pass had expired. He instead stayed away with a girlfriend for two weeks, until the shore patrol caught him. He resisted arrest and as a result spent 41 days in the brig.

After this, McQueen resolved to focus his energies on self-improvement and embraced the Marines' discipline. He saved the lives of five other Marines during an Arctic exercise, pulling them from a tank before it broke through ice into the sea. He was also assigned to an honor guard responsible for guarding then-U.S. President Harry Truman's yacht. McQueen served until 1950 when he was honorably discharged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were both pilots in WW II. Clark Gable, I believe, had to literally "run away" from his studio "handlers" to enlist.

There were also a couple of actresses who died in the Pacific on USO tours. Plane crashes, I think.

Frank Sinatra, on the other hand was "deferred" (exempted) because he "couldn't hear". One of the many reasons I've always thought he was a scumbag.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Clark Gable and Jimmy Stewart were both pilots in WW II. Clark Gable, I believe, had to literally "run away" from his studio "handlers" to enlist.

There were also a couple of actresses who died in the Pacific on USO tours. Plane crashes, I think.

Frank Sinatra, on the other hand was "deferred" (exempted) because he "couldn't hear". One of the many reasons I've always thought he was a scumbag.  

Not long ago I was reading something about Sinatra.  It said he was not allowed to serve because he had mental/emotional issues.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was coming in her to post just that. The "BAM!" guy from Step Brother is a Lt Col in the Marine Corps.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:21:29 AM EDT
[#25]
While just about everybody knows that Jimmy Stewart served with disctinstion in WWII, most don't realize that he enlisted nine months before Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

He saw that war was coming and signed up.  On December 7, 1941, he was a private on guard duty at Moffett Field, CA.

Also, having led from the front as a squadron operations officeer and group commander, earning many awards and decorations along the way, when he returned to Hollywood he had a clause added to his studio contract that his war record could not be used to promote his movies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Not to be a dork or anything, but up until the mid 1970's this country had a draft, so all able bodied males were supposed to serve. The draft ended just before I enlisted in the AF in '79.
So yes, the odds are that folks who made a name for themselves later in life were former servicemen.

I know, I know, STFU!  

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:44:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A veteran of World War I

John Banner was 8 when WW1 ended. Sgt. Schultz was a veteran of WW1.

Banner never served. He was a however Jew who fled Austria.

The character Sgt. Schultz was a WW1 vet it was part of his back story.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were to call me a former Marine, I'd be fine with it, because I would be able to understand your meaning.

BUT, there has been an actual determination by the Commandant, the official term is "Veteran Marine".

I did not know that.  I like it.      Semper Fi.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never would have guessed that one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Buddy Ebsen, Sid Caesar, Alan Hale Jr., Caesar Romero, Victor Mature and Jack Dempsey were all Coasties.

No shit.  I knew Jack Dempsey was, but not the rest
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:50:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

A veteran of World War I

Nope, but Werner Klemper (Oberst Klink) did enlist in the US Army during WWII after his family left Germany in the mid-1930s. He was also a concert pianist and violinist.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#32]
In our history, lies salvation.
Inspirational thread.

Imagine if military service was no longer remarkable, rather expected?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Mel Brooks––Combat Engineer corporal during the Battle of the Bulge.
Julia Child––OSS in China and Ceylon
Chuck Norris––USAF security forces in Osan.  ETA:  Yes, THE Chuck Norris chose the USAF over all the other services.
Sinbad (comedian)––USAF for three weeks.  Administrative discharge from boot camp for "inability to adapt to the military environment."  

As for the Marine label, ex-Marines are dishonored and disowned.  Former/veteran Marines served with distinction.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was never a Marine, but I have always been told that saying "Former Marine" was proper for a person no longer serving.

Either way the whole "there are no ex-marines, just former marines" and now this crap about "no former marines" is just splitting hairs and extremely annoying to people who were on other services.

The marines are not special little snowflakes who deserve their own special lexicon, I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:55:37 AM EDT
[#35]
This dude is funny as shit...  Rob Riggle
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The King...Elvis Presley...could have spent his 2 year draft service stint touring with the USO, but refused saying he wanted to serve his 2 years as a regular soldier donating his pay to charity, buying TV sets for the whole base in Germany and buying extra fatigues for those in his platoon.

spent most of his time at Wildflecken.. Top of the Rock!

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not long ago I was reading something about Sinatra.  It said he was not allowed to serve because he had mental/emotional issues.

Lots of returned GIs weren't much of a fan of Sinatra's.  They had to fight and the skinny kid with big ears was all their girls talked about in their letters.  There's a reason he went for a lot of 'war hero' roles when he started acting.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was coming in her to post just that. The "BAM!" guy from Step Brother is a Lt Col in the Marine Corps.

What's he saying? "Pow?" "Pah?" What is that?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not to be a dork or anything, but up until the mid 1970's this country had a draft, so all able bodied males were supposed to serve. The draft ended just before I enlisted in the AF in '79.
So yes, the odds are that folks who made a name for themselves later in life were former servicemen.

I know, I know, STFU!  

I know where you're coming from, but many (not all) of these people not only served, they served with distinction.  I thiink that makes a difference during the draft years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#40]
According to Wiki, John Glenn flew combat missions with baseball star Ted Williams
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Steve McQueen: USMC 1947-1950

Military service

In 1947, McQueen joined the United States Marine Corps and was quickly promoted to Private First Class and assigned to an armored unit. Initially, he reverted to his prior rebelliousness, and as a result was demoted to private seven times. He went UA (unauthorized absence) by failing to return after a weekend pass had expired. He instead stayed away with a girlfriend for two weeks, until the shore patrol caught him. He resisted arrest and as a result spent 41 days in the brig.

After this, McQueen resolved to focus his energies on self-improvement and embraced the Marines' discipline. He saved the lives of five other Marines during an Arctic exercise, pulling them from a tank before it broke through ice into the sea. He was also assigned to an honor guard responsible for guarding then-U.S. President Harry Truman's yacht. McQueen served until 1950 when he was honorably discharged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McQueen

Wow, it looks like he did get his ass squared away and shitting tiffany cufflinks!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#42]
James Garner. Army

Paul Newman Navy

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Growing up,, all the Men,, the Fathers in my neighborhood were veterans of WWII or the Korean War.

As Actors go,,back in the day,,,, Many of them were the real deal, and it showed in the movies they were in,,

Doesn't say much for many,,,, the crop of left wing, coward nut jobs, that play action hero's in today's movies,,
Charlie Sheen comes to mind,

Exactly
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Spearhead tribute to the King
Quoted:
Quoted:
The King...Elvis Presley...could have spent his 2 year draft service stint touring with the USO, but refused saying he wanted to serve his 2 years as a regular soldier donating his pay to charity, buying TV sets for the whole base in Germany and buying extra fatigues for those in his platoon.

spent most of his time at Wildflecken.. Top of the Rock!

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ah beat to it.

Not.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is harder to keep up with USMC PC than any other PC.  It changes with the tides.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:32:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
While just about everybody knows that Jimmy Stewart served with disctinstion in WWII, most don't realize that he enlisted nine months before Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

He saw that war was coming and signed up.  On December 7, 1941, he was a private on guard duty at Moffett Field, CA.

Also, having led from the front as a squadron operations officeer and group commander, earning many awards and decorations along the way, when he returned to Hollywood he had a clause added to his studio contract that his war record could not be used to promote his movies.

Did you know he stayed in the AF Reserve, rising to the rank of Brigadier General, and few combat missions in Vietnam in a B-52 as a 1 star?

ETA picture after the mission:

http://www.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009/Vietnam/Aug%202009/jimmy-stewart-with-b52-crew.jpg

The book Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot is a pretty good read.

With the positions he held in bomber outfits in WWII he could pick which missions he flew.

He never chose the milk runs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you know he stayed in the AF Reserve, rising to the rank of Brigadier General, and few combat missions in Vietnam in a B-52 as a 1 star?

ETA picture after the mission:

http://www.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009/Vietnam/Aug%202009/jimmy-stewart-with-b52-crew.jpg

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top