Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 10:11:12 AM EDT
I am from the old C-Rat days and have seen references to "field stripping" MRE's.  Can someone explain and describe this?
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Field Stripping a MRE basically is just removing the contents from the outer plastic.  Discarding what you don't use / want.  It makes the MRE more easy to transport as it takes up less room.

medcop
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#2]
MREs certainly do take up a lot more room when they are in the outer packaging, but if you get rid of the package I have found that the cookies and crackers tend to get all broken up.  [:(]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
. I like the earlier series heaters much better.
View Quote

i'm not familiar with these, please explain.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I'll have to admit I've got one of those bachhelor's stomachs that can handle just about everything (Last year I accidentally ate a partially spoiled roast, no problems. I can't begin to count how many times I've eaten almost all of a sandwich before I noticed that the bread had mold on it. Leftover turkey is supposed to be thrown away after 3 days. I keep mine 2 weeks) and personally, I don't see why people, ESPECIALLY REFUGEES AND STARVING PEOPLE IN WAR ZONES, bitch and moan about MREs. I've tried quite a few, and I think they're pretty decent. Would I rather have an MRE than a steak? Gamesniper is no fool, hell no. But I don't consider MREs one of those things you eat only to prevent starvation. Hell, about 10 years ago I bought some C-rats from a Gov't. surplus store, and they weren't too bad either-even the beans & motherf**kers. Spiced beef was good. Orange pound cake was great. Of course, I'm obviously NOT a picky eater, but I don't think MREs are all that bad. What made me try them was back when we ere giving humanitarian aid to some refugees in, I think, Bosnia or somewhere in that mess over there, and they bitched about them tasting so bad. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. [pistol] And BTW, all the MREs I've tried, I've eaten COLD-not heated up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm with gamesniper, i buy them all the time, just because i LIKE to eat them.
they make great road food, hell, where else can you get a complete well balanced meal that tastes good for about 3.00????
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems to me that field stripping a "Meal Rarely Eaten" would consist of tossing it in the pail. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
gamesniper,
all you are doing is giving your immune system a little exercise.  Keep everything good and strong, it can use the time fighting with a little penicilin (sp) or spoiled roast.  All this latest crap about anti-bacterial soap and germs is just that crap.  Think about it nest time you walk it the a restroom and wash your hands on the way out.....of the two body parts that came in contact which one do you think has more "germs" on it??  you should be washing your hands on the way in not on the way out!!

TRW
I'm not going bald, just getting more head
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OK, I'll have to admit I've got one of those bachhelor's stomachs that can handle just about everything
View Quote

I'm the opposite...I'm a *very* picky eater. I've been told by all the Israeli's in my office (which is about %90 of the people here) that I'm too picky, and should spend some time in the Army [:)]

And I actually *like* most MRE's. [:P]

Admittidly, if you come within 10 meters of me bearing the MRE version of Chicken A La King, you'll get shot for your trouble...looks and smells too much like dog puke for me to even CONSIDER eating.

But, other than that..I have no problems with them. Youngboys, the sliced beef, etc. All good. And where else can you get instant coffee that makes Jolt seem like bad sugar water, purely by caffiene content? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And where else can you get instant coffee that makes Jolt seem like bad sugar water, purely by caffiene content? [:D]
View Quote

Oh you want to try something interesting ?

Pull out your lower lip and pour the coffee packet in there with a little sugar.  Let some saliva squish into the mix.  Keep that mess in there like you were dipping snuff and suck on it now and then.

Used to keep me awake in the field!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK, I'll have to admit I've got one of those bachhelor's stomachs that can handle just about everything (Last year I accidentally ate a partially spoiled roast, no problems. I can't begin to count how many times I've eaten almost all of a sandwich before I noticed that the bread had mold on it. Leftover turkey is supposed to be thrown away after 3 days. I keep mine 2 weeks)!!!!!!![puke]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#13]
OT: Check the label, MREs are loaded sodium & fat, so I wouldn't be eating that stuff unless it is truly an emergency.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What kind of weapon is an MRE?  Sounds like it would be an NFA weapon, but I dunno.
[;D]
View Quote

It most certainly is a weapon. Eat enough of them and you plug up your inner works. I've always advocated dropping MRE's into the enemy camp, wait 3 days for constipation to set in, then Attack!

MRE:
[b]M[/b]eals [b]R[/b]efusing to [b]E[/b]xit
[b]M[/b]eals [b]R[/b]arely [b]E[/b]aten
[b]M[/b]eals [b]R[/b]ejected by [b]E[/b]nemy
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For those of us that have to eat MRE's, have any of you noticed how bass ackwards they really are? To heat the main meal you gotta wait 10 to 15 minutes
View Quote

The new heaters they're coming with will do the job in less than five minutes. They also make awesome MRE bombs...[:)]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#16]
i will glady take all your unwanted MREs!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OT: Check the label, MREs are loaded sodium & fat, so I wouldn't be eating that stuff unless it is truly an emergency.
View Quote

Actually, the label seems to show a balanced amount of fat, protein, and carbs.  What label are you looking at?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top