Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 73
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the most valuable thread on Arf.

I've been dealing with depression for a couple of years now. It's affected my thought processes and my life. Most of it stems from chronic lumbar and neck pain. But it's also some seasonal affective disorder and a few other things. Under a doc's care, I've tried several medications over the past year or two, but none helped. I just ordered a sun lamp thingy a few days ago. Hoping that helps. The wife and I lost our beloved akita of ten years, two weeks ago today. That's been rough as well. I've been forcing myself to get up and go for walks and bike rides lately, even though I don't feel like doing anything. It doesn't "fix" things, but I usually do feel better after I've done something active. I usually try to get the wife to go with me, so we can do things together. I worry that if I let it, depression will poison our relationship. I've seen it happen to couples. I have to do my part to keep the romance alive in our relationship. To lose that while fighting depression would be damned difficult. This thread reminds me to keep getting off my ass and living, and loving. People who don't deal with depression don't understand how that could be unnatural. But when you're struggling in life, it's like being pounded by waves in a heavy surf... just trying to keep your head above water. During the hard days, you grow weary of the struggle.

I'm home from work this afternoon with a brutal headache (I'm having my C6 disk replaced in two weeks). But when my wife gets home from her dentist's appointment, I'll take her hand and go for another walk together. Just focus on putting one foot in front of the other... one day at a time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
This is the most valuable thread on Arf.

I've been dealing with depression for a couple of years now. It's affected my thought processes and my life. Most of it stems from chronic lumbar and neck pain. But it's also some seasonal affective disorder and a few other things. Under a doc's care, I've tried several medications over the past year or two, but none helped. I just ordered a sun lamp thingy a few days ago. Hoping that helps. The wife and I lost our beloved akita of ten years, two weeks ago today. That's been rough as well. I've been forcing myself to get up and go for walks and bike rides lately, even though I don't feel like doing anything. It doesn't "fix" things, but I usually do feel better after I've done something active. I usually try to get the wife to go with me, so we can do things together. I worry that if I let it, depression will poison our relationship. I've seen it happen to couples. I have to do my part to keep the romance alive in our relationship. To lose that while fighting depression would be damned difficult. This thread reminds me to keep getting off my ass and living, and loving. People who don't deal with depression don't understand how that could be unnatural. But when you're struggling in life, it's like being pounded by waves in a heavy surf... just trying to keep your head above water. During the hard days, you grow weary of the struggle.

I'm home from work this afternoon with a brutal headache (I'm having my C6 disk replaced in two weeks). But when my wife gets home from her dentist's appointment, I'll take her hand and go for another walk together. Just focus on putting one foot in front of the other... one day at a time.
View Quote
Have you had blood work done and been checked for Vitamin D3 levels?
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
It turns out some folks lack an amino acid that crosses the blood-brain barrier.
Without this amino acid, certain classes of drugs won't work, like Paxil.

It *MIGHT* be worth asking a doctor about genetic testing, with the idea of learning if this situation is applicable.

Then the doctor can quit prescribing things that don't work and try things that have a better chance of working.

Just something to think about. Because things *can* get better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:

Have you had blood work done and been checked for Vitamin D3 levels?
View Quote
I have. They were okay as of my last test.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
It turns out some folks lack an amino acid that crosses the blood-brain barrier.
Without this amino acid, certain classes of drugs won't work, like Paxil.

It *MIGHT* be worth asking a doctor about genetic testing, with the idea of learning if this situation is applicable.

Then the doctor can quit prescribing things that don't work and try things that have a better chance of working.

Just something to think about. Because things *can* get better.
View Quote
Good info. I will talk with him about that. We tried something from each of the three classes/types of drugs, but by no means did we try everything. What we did try either made me feel "off", or nothing at all. I gave one of them three solid months to see if it would work.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:59:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HTHF] [#6]
The holidays are coming. A wonderful time of year for sure. It can however be a tough time of year for many folks. Allot of people who are struggling can go into a very dark place this time of year. If you know someone who might be at risk, reach out and touch base before they are in crisis. Know someone who has had a hard time in the past? See where they are at if you don't already know. If a crisis can be averted it is a good thing, so look in on those who might be at risk. Wishing everyone the best as we come into what I hope will be a joyful holiday season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:34:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By HTHF:
The holidays are coming. A wonderful time of year for sure. It can however be a tough time of year for many folks. Allot of people who are struggling can go into a very dark place this time of year. If you know someone who might be at risk, reach out and touch base before they are in crisis. Know someone who has had a hard time in the past? See where they are at if you don't already know. If a crisis can be averted it is a good thing, so look in on those who might be at risk. Wishing everyone the best as we come into what I hope will be a joyful holiday season.
View Quote
Thanks Giving hits me pretty hard. A few years ago my family decided to eat early and not tell me, this was soon after a break up that pretty much broke me. I ate at Waffle House alone. Most of my family is dead, so it can be rough. Even eating with a friend’s family can make it worse.

Everyday I just tell my self that I am lucky, there are much less fortunate people, and just drive on.

But, living with depression and anxiety can wear a person down... Lost a lot of friends and interests in things.

I hate Christmas.

The gym worked,  but then I tore up my shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
Thanks Giving hits me pretty hard. A few years ago my family decided to eat early and not tell me, this was soon after a break up that pretty much broke me. I ate at Waffle House alone. Most of my family is dead, so it can be rough. Even eating with a friend’s family can make it worse.

Everyday I just tell my self that I am lucky, there are much less fortunate people, and just drive on.

But, living with depression and anxiety can wear a person down... Lost a lot of friends and interests in things.

I hate Christmas.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I hate Christmas.

Do you have anything planned yet for the holidays this year? I know it can feel good to do something for folks who have less no matter what time of year. Of course it means more to people around the holidays. I am not sure what you might have planned this year, but consider volunteering. It will get you out of yourself. Put you around a bunch of other volunteers that are very likely damn good people as they are volunteering to. You might be surprised at the connections you make! I have only ever had good experiences volunteering, especially during the holidays.

Here if you need someone to chat with, holidays or not.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
"When people lose hope, they lose their ability to dream for the future. Despair replaces joy. Fear replaces faith. Anxiety replaces prayer. Insecurity replaces confidence. Tomorrow’s dreams are replaced by nightmares. It’s a lousy way to live".

Every day that goes by for me, I lose what little hope I had to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hachiko:
"When people lose hope, they lose their ability to dream for the future. Despair replaces joy. Fear replaces faith. Anxiety replaces prayer. Insecurity replaces confidence. Tomorrow’s dreams are replaced by nightmares. It’s a lousy way to live".

View Quote
@Hachiko

Get in here for a group discussion. Post up, brother.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:09:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#11]
It must have taken allot of courage for you to share that with the group. There is help here for you and folks here truly do care. Please reach out to anyone here or someone in your life. I know that you can't imagine it right now, but this will pass and it will get better!
View All Quotes
My story is a long one, but I will summarize it. Married to the love of my life for 15 years. In Sept. 2015, she was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast Cancer. I being an RN, took care of her and did everything for her, as a Husband should. She drastically changed into a completely different person on the inside. All surgeries and Chemo were done, 3 months later we find another lump. 1 day after we find out it was benign, she says she wants a divorce. I was beyond confused. At first I said "okay". Then I thought, & told her "no". 
    That very night I was awakened in bed by 3 Fort Worth Police Officers. The story was my wife said that I threatened her with a firearm, not true. I was arrested & thrown in jail.  1 week later, I was "let go" from the hospital where I worked for 21 unblemished years. Her "word" was all the proof they needed, from the DA's perspective, & the hospital. 
    Hired a Criminal attorney who, as it turned out, threw me under the bus. One day after speaking with her Divorce attorney, he completely changed his tune about fighting for me & my case. I ended up taking 5 years deferred adjudication. 
Spent all my savings for the Criminal attorney & divorce attorney. Between the two, it cost me over $40,000.   
    I lost my Family, my Son, my dogs and my house. The end of the divorce, I had to give her almost $140,000 (home equity and half of her 401-K). I'm still more than likely going to lose my RN license, & no one wants to hire a 51 year old with a record. Before this, I've only had 2 speeding tickets. 

I've been living off my 401-K. I've always had depression, & now I've been diagnosed with PTSD. Several months ago, I went through my Attorneys to contact the DA & the Judge, to see if I could have a third party obtain all my firearms, ammo & accessories to sell to a FFL. I was told by my Attorney “The Judge wants to throw you back in jail, because you’re trying to get your firearms”! No explaining, even in the simplest of terms to get them to understand that I would have no contact with my firearms at any time. So at the end of my divorce, my Ex & her attorney ended up selling them & giving me the proceeds. I received $6,200, for weapons, ammo, magazines, & accessories that should have sold for more than $10-$12,000.

I am very sorry Gentlemen, but I am done! I’ve been lied to, & lied about. I’ve had my Son, my entire life, my Career, & all of my personal possessions stolen from me. I am a quiet, respectful & keep to myself kinda guy. I have prayed more than I ever have in my life, all to no avail. I am cognizant enough to know when I am beaten, & to know that I more than overwhelmed. Overwhelmed physically, emotionally & spiritually. I cannot hold on any longer, & believe it is time for me to go Home!
It must have taken allot of courage for you to share that with the group. There is help here for you and folks here truly do care. Please reach out to anyone here or someone in your life. I know that you can't imagine it right now, but this will pass and it will get better!
I have read most of the comments on page 8. Ditto on that. Gotta hang in their, your son, and your friends are going to need you; especially your son, he won't realize it now because all kids thnk their parents will be around forever, I know I did, till my dad all of sudden died from a cardiac(him and my mom raised my 3 kids).

ETA: I too am about to lose my house that I lived in for >30 years due to pending divorce.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
Yeah me too. To relax my mind, I always think about something in the future, but now I have nothing to dream about, my kids are gone and don't need me. I always dreamed of what my wife(so to be ex-) would do after we retire, now I have to re-think that. Now I just watch NHK-tv until I get so tired I just fall asleep.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't seem to be able to catch my breath, or get up from the mat before I get hit again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:31:04 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote
Me too brother. I have mastered the fake smile its wearing me down.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't seem to be able to catch my breath, or get up from the mat before I get hit again.
View Quote
@Hachiko

Need details please.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
On my never ending hunt for a way back to "normal", I ran across this nugget of hope.

https://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_brachman_could_a_drug_prevent_depression_and_ptsd/transcript?language=en
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 11:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
I lost my wife 3 days before Thanksgiving.  Have kids and g-kids here but they always go to their inlaws now.  Don't even celibrate it now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nutro:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nutro:

@Nutro

I had a blast with you guys last weekend, if you need to get away come on out I'll put you in the stand, we can shoot the shit, go plinking or just sit in the barn.

Before I lived here I couldn't wait to get here & if I had a shitty week sitting in the stand was like therapy, even if I didn't see anything.

Let me know.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HTHF] [#20]
Here is a quote I came across recently which is useful if you are feeling hopeless.

“Hope has two beautiful daughters; their names are Anger and Courage. Anger at the way things are, and Courage to see that they do not remain as they are.”

Augustine of Hippo
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 4:07:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By widowed2012:
I lost my wife 3 days before Thanksgiving.  Have kids and g-kids here but they always go to their inlaws now.  Don't even celebrate it now.
View All Quotes
I lost my wife 3 days before Thanksgiving.  Have kids and g-kids here but they always go to their inlaws now.  Don't even celebrate it now.
You should just tag along with one of the kids, at least it would get you out of the house. Or find something else to do distract your mind.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
For people who are unhappy or fighting depression, or just getting more out of life, you need a sense of purpose in your life. BTW try to stay away from mainstream news media, most of the stories they publish are real "downers," {not a small wonder our society is all messed up.}

Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life Might Just Help You Live a More Fulfilling Life
According to Buettner, the concept of ikigai is not exclusive to Okinawans: “there might not be a word for it but in all four blue zones such as Sardinia and Nicoya Peninsula, the same concept exists among people living long lives.”
Buettner suggests making three lists: your values, things you like to do, and things you are good at. The cross section of the three lists is your ikigai.
View Quote
=============={btw I normally don't quote an entire story, but I  feel this is important enough to warrant an exception} =======
Thomas Oppong - Columnist at Inc. Magazine. Featured at Business Insider, Forbes, Entrepreneur, etc.
Jan 10·4 min read
Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life Might Just Help You Live a More Fulfilling Life
Photo by Tianshu Liu on Unsplash

In Japan, millions of people have ikigai (pronounced Ick-ee-guy)— a reason to jump out of bed each morning.

What’s your reason for getting up in the morning?

The Japanese island of Okinawa, where ikigai has its origins, is said to be home to the largest population of centenarians in the world.

Could the concept of ikigai contribute to longevity?

Dan Buettner, author of Blue Zones: Lessons on Living Longer from the People Who’ve Lived the Longest, believes it does.

According to Buettner, the concept of ikigai is not exclusive to Okinawans: “there might not be a word for it but in all four blue zones such as Sardinia and Nicoya Peninsula, the same concept exists among people living long lives.”
Buettner suggests making three lists: your values, things you like to do, and things you are good at. The cross section of the three lists is your ikigai.

Studies show that losing one’s purpose can have a detrimental effect.
American mythologist and author Joseph Campbell once said, “My general formula for my students is “Follow your bliss.” Find where it is, and don’t be afraid to follow it.”

“Your ikigai is at the intersection of what you are good at and what you love doing,” says Hector Garcia, the co-author of Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. He writes,“Just as humans have lusted after objects and money since the dawn of time, other humans have felt dissatisfaction at the relentless pursuit of money and fame and have instead focused on something bigger than their own material wealth. This has over the years been described using many different words and practices, but always hearkening back to the central core of meaningfulness in life.”
Image: Toronto Star

ikigai is seen as the convergence of four primary elements:
•What you love (your passion)
•What the world needs (your mission)
•What you are good at (your vocation)
•What you can get paid for (your profession)

Discovering your own ikigai is said to bring fulfilment, happiness and make you live longer.
Want to find your Ikigai? Ask yourself the following four questions:
1. What do I love?
2. What am I good at?
3. What can I be paid for now?—?or something that could transform into my future hustle?
4. What does the world need?

In their book Ikigai The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles break down the ten rules that can help anyone find their own ikigai.
1. Stay active and don’t retire
2. Leave urgency behind and adopt a slower pace of life
3. Only eat until you are 80 per cent full
4. Surround yourself with good friends
5. Get in shape through daily, gentle exercise
6. Smile and acknowledge people around you
7. Reconnect with nature
8. Give thanks to anything that brightens our day and makes us feel alive.
9. Live in the moment
10. Follow your ikigai
What you deeply care about can unlock your ikigai

Follow your curiosity.

Philosopher and civil rights leader Howard W Thurman said, “Ask what makes you come alive and go do it.” … “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

The problem for millions of people is that they stop being curious about new experiences as they assume responsiblities and build routines.

Their sense of wonder starts to escape them.

But you can change that, especially if you are still looking for meaning and fulfilment in what you do daily.

Albert Einstein encourages us to pursue our curiosities. He once said:
“Don’t think about why you question, simply don’t stop questioning. Don’t worry about what you can’t answer, and don’t try to explain what you can’t know. Curiosity is its own reason. Aren’t you in awe when you contemplate the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure behind reality? And this is the miracle of the human mind?—?to use its constructions, concepts, and formulas as tools to explain what man sees, feels and touches. Try to comprehend a little more each day. Have holy curiosity.”

A classic example is Steve Jobs’ curiosity for typefaces which led him to attend a seemingly useless class on typography and to develop his design sensibility.

Later, this sensibility became an essential part of Apple computers and Apple’s core differentiator in the market.

We are born curious. Our insatiable drive to learn, invent, explore, and study deserves to have the same status as every other drive in our lives.

Fulfilment is fast becoming the main priority for most of us. Millions of people still struggle to find what they are meant to do. What excites them. What makes them lose the sense of time. What brings out the best in them.
“Our intuition and curiosity are very powerful internal compasses to help us connect with our ikigai,” Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles write.

What is the one simple thing you could do or be today that would be an expression of your ikigai?

Find it and pursue it with all you have, anything less is not worth your limited time on planet earth.
Before you go…
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 6:48:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: widowed2012] [#24]
@warlord

I'm going to this year I think.  I just hope the Vikings aren't playing that day.  The only thing that ever really helped was going to the range but, I've sold off most of my collection and ammo so don't shoot as much as I should now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By warlord:
For people who are unhappy or fighting depression, or just getting more out of life, you need a sense of purpose in your life. BTW try to stay away from mainstream news media, most of the stories they publish are real "downers," {not a small wonder our society is all messed up.}

=============={btw I normally don't quote an entire story, but I  feel this is important enough to warrant an exception} =======
View All Quotes

Thomas Oppong - Columnist at Inc. Magazine. Featured at Business Insider, Forbes, Entrepreneur, etc.
Jan 10·4 min read
Photo by Tianshu Liu on Unsplash

In Japan, millions of people have ikigai (pronounced Ick-ee-guy)— a reason to jump out of bed each morning.

What’s your reason for getting up in the morning?

The Japanese island of Okinawa, where ikigai has its origins, is said to be home to the largest population of centenarians in the world.

Could the concept of ikigai contribute to longevity?

Dan Buettner, author of Blue Zones: Lessons on Living Longer from the People Who’ve Lived the Longest, believes it does.

Studies show that losing one’s purpose can have a detrimental effect.
American mythologist and author Joseph Campbell once said, “My general formula for my students is “Follow your bliss.” Find where it is, and don’t be afraid to follow it.”

“Your ikigai is at the intersection of what you are good at and what you love doing,” says Hector Garcia, the co-author of Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. He writes,“Just as humans have lusted after objects and money since the dawn of time, other humans have felt dissatisfaction at the relentless pursuit of money and fame and have instead focused on something bigger than their own material wealth. This has over the years been described using many different words and practices, but always hearkening back to the central core of meaningfulness in life.”
Image: Toronto Star

ikigai is seen as the convergence of four primary elements:
•What you love (your passion)
•What the world needs (your mission)
•What you are good at (your vocation)
•What you can get paid for (your profession)

Discovering your own ikigai is said to bring fulfilment, happiness and make you live longer.
Want to find your Ikigai? Ask yourself the following four questions:
1. What do I love?
2. What am I good at?
3. What can I be paid for now?—?or something that could transform into my future hustle?
4. What does the world need?

In their book Ikigai The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles break down the ten rules that can help anyone find their own ikigai.
1. Stay active and don’t retire
2. Leave urgency behind and adopt a slower pace of life
3. Only eat until you are 80 per cent full
4. Surround yourself with good friends
5. Get in shape through daily, gentle exercise
6. Smile and acknowledge people around you
7. Reconnect with nature
8. Give thanks to anything that brightens our day and makes us feel alive.
9. Live in the moment
10. Follow your ikigai
What you deeply care about can unlock your ikigai

Follow your curiosity.

Philosopher and civil rights leader Howard W Thurman said, “Ask what makes you come alive and go do it.” … “Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

The problem for millions of people is that they stop being curious about new experiences as they assume responsiblities and build routines.

Their sense of wonder starts to escape them.

But you can change that, especially if you are still looking for meaning and fulfilment in what you do daily.

Albert Einstein encourages us to pursue our curiosities. He once said:
“Don’t think about why you question, simply don’t stop questioning. Don’t worry about what you can’t answer, and don’t try to explain what you can’t know. Curiosity is its own reason. Aren’t you in awe when you contemplate the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure behind reality? And this is the miracle of the human mind?—?to use its constructions, concepts, and formulas as tools to explain what man sees, feels and touches. Try to comprehend a little more each day. Have holy curiosity.”

A classic example is Steve Jobs’ curiosity for typefaces which led him to attend a seemingly useless class on typography and to develop his design sensibility.

Later, this sensibility became an essential part of Apple computers and Apple’s core differentiator in the market.

We are born curious. Our insatiable drive to learn, invent, explore, and study deserves to have the same status as every other drive in our lives.

Fulfilment is fast becoming the main priority for most of us. Millions of people still struggle to find what they are meant to do. What excites them. What makes them lose the sense of time. What brings out the best in them.
“Our intuition and curiosity are very powerful internal compasses to help us connect with our ikigai,” Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles write.

What is the one simple thing you could do or be today that would be an expression of your ikigai?

Find it and pursue it with all you have, anything less is not worth your limited time on planet earth.
Before you go…
Thank you for posting that
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: footdoc1] [#26]
I used to love fall, it was my favorite season.  Something changed in my mid-twenties and now it is a strong get out of bed.  I end up doing stupid shit that affects my life negatively.  Usually, it involves alcohol because I feel so helpless and paralyzed.  I promised my wife that we wouldn’t have an “October surprise,” this year as I’ve grown accustomed to calling my deterioration.  I’ve been trying hard not to mess up, but damn, every fall something seems to trigger me and set off a downward spiral.

ETA:  I implode pretty bad every fall, but if it wasn’t for her and my kids, I probably wouldn’t be around to fuck up anymore.  Each year is a learning experience and I try a bit harder.  Hang tough and fight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:06:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By footdoc1:
Something changed in my mid-twenties and now it is a strong struggle to get out of bed.
View Quote
I'm guessing that there was a typo in there. Not giving you any crap over it, just wanting to make sure I understood what you meant.

My band-aid fix, if I did get that right, is to drink a lot of water before going to bed. I usually have a water bottle on the night stand. If I have to get up in the middle of the night, so be it. Drink some more before going back to bed. I let my body give me a reason to get out of bed, even if my mind won't.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:26:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: footdoc1] [#28]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
I'm guessing that there was a typo in there. Not giving you any crap over it, just wanting to make sure I understood what you meant.

My band-aid fix, if I did get that right, is to drink a lot of water before going to bed. I usually have a water bottle on the night stand. If I have to get up in the middle of the night, so be it. Drink some more before going back to bed. I let my body give me a reason to get out of bed, even if my mind won't.
View All Quotes
Something changed in my mid-twenties and now it is a strong struggle to get out of bed.

No typo.  Something changed around 24-25 and all of a sudden I became balling my eyes out depressed.  I had my younger brother run away from home at the same time, but I’d never felt that way before.  Went on antidepressants and they helped for a little while, but every fall I lose my mind.  To the extent I have to warn my wife that it’s happening.  I don’t know if it’s from the head trauma when I was younger or what, but I never experienced this until my mid twenties.  Every year since, I just try to ride it out and minimize the impact.

I had never suffered from depression or anxiety and then it was like a switch went off.  I was to the ER for panic attacks every couple of months not knowing if I was having a heart attack.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
That's one plus to me being as poor as I am. My mattress is wore out to the point that it's still comfortable enough to pass out on, but I can't stay in bed more than 6-7 hours.

But there's something I've been curious about. From what I've seen, depression and anxiety seem like they go hand in hand. But is there anyone else that doesn't have any kind of problems with anxiety?

And one thing I do have to say, my kids got to get into the school's Fall Fest early because my son is high functioning autistic, and watching them have a blast is the happiest I've felt in a long time . As much as they drive me crazy, to the point that I'm in my late 20s and they're giving me gray hair, they've saved my life.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:09:13 AM EDT
[#30]

No typo.  Something changed around 24-25 and all of a sudden I became balling my eyes out depressed.  I had my younger brother run away from home at the same time, but I'd never felt that way before.  Went on antidepressants and they helped for a little while, but every fall I lose my mind.  To the extent I have to warn my wife that it's happening.  I don't know if it's from the head trauma when I was younger or what, but I never experienced this until my mid twenties.  Every year since, I just try to ride it out and minimize the impact.

I had never suffered from depression or anxiety and then it was like a switch went off.  I was to the ER for panic attacks every couple of months not knowing if I was having a heart attack.
View Quote
The change in light levels from summer to fall/ winter could be giving you issues. You might try some full spectrum light bulbs to see if they help.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:31:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:
The change in light levels from summer to fall/ winter could be giving you issues. You might try some full spectrum light bulbs to see if they help.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

No typo.  Something changed around 24-25 and all of a sudden I became balling my eyes out depressed.  I had my younger brother run away from home at the same time, but I'd never felt that way before.  Went on antidepressants and they helped for a little while, but every fall I lose my mind.  To the extent I have to warn my wife that it's happening.  I don't know if it's from the head trauma when I was younger or what, but I never experienced this until my mid twenties.  Every year since, I just try to ride it out and minimize the impact.

I have changed out lights and it does seem to help.  At the same time, when I get really bad my wife tries to comfort me by touching me like rubbing my back, but it feels like nails on a chalkboard.  I just need to be left alone and have quiet and not be touched at all.  I know it frustrates her but I can’t help it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
If anyone is SE PA needs a place to go for Thanksgiving or Christmas hit me up. We do meals with family so it’s a gathering of at least 15-20. We have six kids. If you need quiet it’s kot
The best environment but if you just wanna be with warm people for a meal you are more then welcome.

We can shoot too or whatever.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#33]

I hate Christmas.

View All Quotes

I hate Christmas.

If you're ever around MI during the holidays or anytime you're more then welcome to have dinner with me and the wife and kids. She's a good cook.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:00:18 AM EDT
[#34]
"Love those who will love you when you have nothing to offer but your company"
{you don't need a Facebook account to see this meme, its privacy setting is "public."}
https://www.facebook.com/BuddhismAndScienceSpirit/photos/a.1429782270593575/2121984228040039/?type=3&theater
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

View Quote
ch3no2(from page 10): You are welcome. You should get  the book mentioned in the story, "Ikigai The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life," by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles. The money will be well spent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#36]
ch3no2(from page 10): You are welcome. You should get  the book mentioned in the story, "Ikigai The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life," by Hector Garcia and Francesc Miralles. The money will be well spent.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ch3no2:

I’m going to do that, thank you once again
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#37]
"Love those who will love you when you have nothing to offer but your company"
View Quote
I wish I’d read that twenty years ago
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:46:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#38]
@warlord

I'm going to this year I think.  I just hope the Vikings aren't playing that day.  The only thing that ever really helped was going to the range but, I've sold off most of my collection and ammo so don't shoot as much as I should now.
View Quote
Yeah, I hear you on that. Personally I haven't gone shooting in a number of years myself, I probably just will them to my sons. Classic symptoms of depression, you loose interest in things that you found pleasurable in the past.

ETA: Actually, I am going to ask my sons to see if they want my hardware, and if they say "no,' then I will probably start selling them off, so that at least someone else can enjoy them, and I can use the extra cash. Selling firearms hardware is not an easy endeavor in Calif every transaction must go through a FFL, but I acquired them before Calif became so blue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SISUltra:
I am having a really hard time guys.  My wife and partner of 16 years, the love of my life just up and separated from me.  One day we were fine and the next day she tells me she no longer loves me and it's over.

I am doing my best to detach because trying to save my marriage is just pushing her further away.  I am literally in a limbo of hell, all by myself, waiting for her to decide if she wants to divorce or reconcile.  I am deeply hurt and absolutely heart broken.

I may need to talk to someone very soon.  I am having a hard time dealing with this rush of sadness.   I have never been this sad in my life.

I have a counselor, but I can't shake this feeling at all.  I feel like I'm drowning.  I am ok when I am busy at work but when the day ends the emptiness rushes back in with full force.  This has literally brought me to my knees.  I cant believe this is happening.
View Quote
I wanted to check in with you and see how you are doing since we posted last week.    Any changes in heart with your wife?

With my crazy work schedule, I can't get on here like I would like, but I am thinking about you and your situation.   Looks like there are quite a few on here that are in similar situations or have been.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 3:28:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#40]
Originally Posted By RisingMoon:
I wanted to check in with you and see how you are doing since we posted last week.    Any changes in heart with your wife?

With my crazy work schedule, I can't get on here like I would like, but I am thinking about you and your situation.   Looks like there are quite a few on here that are in similar situations or have been.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RisingMoon:
Originally Posted By SISUltra:
I am having a really hard time guys.  My wife and partner of 16 years, the love of my life just up and separated from me.  One day we were fine and the next day she tells me she no longer loves me and it's over.

I am doing my best to detach because trying to save my marriage is just pushing her further away.  I am literally in a limbo of hell, all by myself, waiting for her to decide if she wants to divorce or reconcile.  I am deeply hurt and absolutely heart broken.

I may need to talk to someone very soon.  I am having a hard time dealing with this rush of sadness.   I have never been this sad in my life.

I have a counselor, but I can't shake this feeling at all.  I feel like I'm drowning.  I am ok when I am busy at work but when the day ends the emptiness rushes back in with full force.  This has literally brought me to my knees.  I cant believe this is happening.

SISUltra -- Yeah, I am in the same boat. I know your feelings. I am in the middle of divorce proceedings, and it is really terrible. Same here, one day it was fine, and another day it was hell......
======================================
ETA: For many of you guys thinking about getting married, you should think very carefully. ~2/3 of my contemporaries are still married after >20 years, that leaves ~1/3 that are divorced. Personally for all the heartache, pain, and disappointment; I am not sure that it is worth it. It was fun in the beginning, but toward the end it was really, really bad.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Henry II : I could have conquered Europe - all of it - but I had women in my life.

And if he couldn't do - well, then. Cheer up, and conquer your HOA!
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:44:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I hear you on that. Personally I haven't gone shooting in a number of years myself, I probably just will them to my sons. Classic symptoms of depression, you loose interest in things that you found pleasurable in the past.

ETA: Actually, I am going to ask my sons to see if they want my hardware, and if they say "no,' then I will probably start selling them off, so that at least someone else can enjoy them, and I can use the extra cash. Selling firearms hardware is not an easy endeavor in Calif every transaction must go through a FFL, but I acquired them before Calif became so blue.
View Quote
Glad I don't live in CA.  Hope the rest of the country doesn't fall into that BS.

I got worried when I was giving away almost as much as I was selling. During the FBHO period. Made me think about what the hell am I doing.

Still wonder about it every day.

And the anniversary is coming-up soon. I hate Nov.

This shit sucks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#43]
It’s 10:26AM and I just forced myself to get out of bed. Depression has been on and off for three years since my divorce. I met someone new who I am living with but to be honest I’m not happy at all. We have a four month old who I love dearly but it wasn’t planned.

I’m in a commission only job which doesn’t help anything but I’m hoping to change that soon and getting my resume out there today when I head into the office. I just have zero motivation to do anything.

I won’t go into much detail at the moment but let’s just say there is still a lot of love there between my ex wife and I. I haven’t done anything inappropriate while with my gf but it is something the ex and I have talked about. She wants to see changes before anything happens though.

Sometimes I wonder if my gf is cheating on me. If she is, I really don’t care. Just let me know. Unfortunately if something did happen and I moved out. I’d have to move in with my parents for a few which I have zero desire to do. I’d be more miserable there than I am here.

Anyways...need to jump in the shower and just start moving. Just needed to vent. I know I have it better than others but I hate being depressed. Feel like I’m on a hamster wheel.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:55:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#44]
Originally Posted By davidb1982:
It’s 10:26AM and I just forced myself to get out of bed. Depression has been on and off for three years since my divorce. I met someone new who I am living with but to be honest I’m not happy at all. We have a four month old who I love dearly but it wasn’t planned.

I’m in a commission only job which doesn’t help anything but I’m hoping to change that soon and getting my resume out there today when I head into the office. I just have zero motivation to do anything.

I won’t go into much detail at the moment but let’s just say there is still a lot of love there between my ex wife and I. I haven’t done anything inappropriate while with my gf but it is something the ex and I have talked about. She wants to see changes before anything happens though.

Sometimes I wonder if my gf is cheating on me. If she is, I really don’t care. Just let me know. Unfortunately if something did happen and I moved out. I’d have to move in with my parents for a few which I have zero desire to do. I’d be more miserable there than I am here.

Anyways...need to jump in the shower and just start moving. Just needed to vent. I know I have it better than others but I hate being depressed. Feel like I’m on a hamster wheel.
View Quote
I am in the middle of a painful divorce myself. I have the same problem. Force yourself to get out of bed and the little motivation to do anything else, and of course nothing to look forward to; these are sure signs of depression. For me this caused long periods of unemployment.

People can be very cruel, not just women, men do it too. I have the same problem with my wife too, ie I have not changed enough to suit her, but remember you are you. Most women look for the perfect husband, but the problem is, he can't be found because they don't exist. Every man & woman have their faults. Now that I look back, I wish that I paid more attention to the problem signs earlier in our relationship, but unfortunately she was only female relationship, and the sex was fun; I overlooked many of her faults.

Personally, for me I don't do drugs, spend money excessively, gamble, drink excessively, or beat her up. I try to be family man, take the kids out etc, the "Leave It to Beaver" or "Ozzie & Harriet"  kind of thing, ie the ideal TV husband & dad and it was still not enough for her. Her main goal was to have a family, and now that is done, I am now expendable. My advice to you, should you get together with the ex? since she put you into that position to begin with, and really didn't care that she made you depressed you should think carefully.

The problem now is that you have a little kid with your GF that is going to complicate matters. All kids need a male figure in their life, there is a difference between a father and a dad; dads raise the kids, ie take them to parks, shopping, etc. There other day I was walking in my 'hood, and heard a tiny child's voice saying bye mommy..... it kind of made me feel sad for the little girl. I love my kids, contrary to what you read in the media, 99.999% of the men love their children. I wish you well.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#45]
I have been having a somewhat difficult time with anxiety at this point in my life. I eat somewhat healthy, I do watch my weight and I don't drink pop anymore. I also don't drink alcohol enough to mention.

I don't remember anxiety earlier in my life. The way I told the doc at my va was when I deployed, I just never had time to get away from the "job". That lack of down time really I guess might have not helped me much. I just constantly feel this nagging "fear" for better lack of description. My faith in God is very important to me and I also seek out other veterans to talk to from time to time.

I guess I am just venting that it is tough to not understand yourself sometimes. I should not have fear for no reason, and yet its there.

Off to bed, thanks for reading!
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:14:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: leib109] [#46]
I’ve felt somewhat down lately. Recently started my career and while that’s fine, the enormity is the time until I retire is staggering. Until then, it’s the same crap every day—work, home, work, home. My boss is an older woman who is capricious, ignorant, petty. My job is very isolating and I spend almost all of it by myself in a small office. I have no real local friends to speak of since I moved here less than a year ago.

My wife and I are too tired to do much else other than clean our house on the weekends. Sex life is kind of boring too, so I’ve taken to occasionally watching porn, which I don’t tell her about. This causes me an enormous amount of guilt, and impedes my relationship with God and my wife.

Overall, the sense of ennui, if not outright clinical depression (which I experienced before), is pretty overwhelming as of late.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#47]
I am in the middle of a painful divorce myself. I have the same problem. Force yourself to get out of bed and the little motivation to do anything else, and of course nothing to look forward to; these are sure signs of depression. For me this caused long periods of unemployment.

People can be very cruel, not just women, men do it too. I have the same problem with my wife too, ie I have not changed enough to suit her, but remember you are you. Most women look for the perfect husband, but the problem is, he can't be found because they don't exist. Every man & woman have their faults. Now that I look back, I wish that I paid more attention to the problem signs earlier in our relationship, but unfortunately she was only female relationship, and the sex was fun; I overlooked many of her faults.

Personally, for me I don't do drugs, spend money excessively, gamble, drink excessively, or beat her up. I try to be family man, take the kids out etc, the "Leave It to Beaver" or "Ozzie & Harriet"  kind of thing, ie the ideal TV husband & dad and it was still not enough for her. Her main goal was to have a family, and now that is done, I am now expendable. My advice to you, should you get together with the ex? since she put you into that position to begin with, and really didn't care that she made you depressed you should think carefully.

The problem now is that you have a little kid with your GF that is going to complicate matters. All kids need a male figure in their life, there is a difference between a father and a dad; dads raise the kids, ie take them to parks, shopping, etc. There other day I was walking in my 'hood, and heard a tiny child's voice saying bye mommy..... it kind of made me feel sad for the little girl. I love my kids, contrary to what you read in the media, 99.999% of the men love their children. I wish you well.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By davidb1982:

Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear you're going through this as well. I feel a lot better today than I did yesterday. Glad I forced myself to get out of bed because I actually had a pretty good day at work. I left about 3:30PM since i didn't have a ton that I needed to accomplish. My gf wanted to take me out for dinner so we left our son with her parents and went out. Got home around 8PM and I took some melatonin and I was out. Woke up this morning and got a lot done. Even ordered two lowers from PSA.

It'll get better. I know what I have to do. It's just finding the motivation to do it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 7:21:24 PM EDT
[#48]
davidb1982: Good for you. Mentally depression can be very debilitating.

BTW to all you guys, be sure to get plenty of exercise. Exercise contributes mighty to reducing stress and depression. Yeah like I  walk a mile a day, it is not really that much, 4 trips around the local HS football track. If you haven't exercise for awhile, be sure to start slow and build up. When I first starting walking, I walked 1 lap for 2 weeks, then move up to another lap for each of the following weeks. Exercise and building muscle mass can also help reduce the effects of type 2 diabetes.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#49]
threads like this is what makes this place great. i never thought i would post in thought but 2017 and 2018 have taken there toll on me. been on the road and went thru 3 boss in the last 3 years. in 17 girlfriend and best friend for the past 10 years seem to have a break down. we worked it out and all was good everything seem to be going good till about July. i know allot of of it was due to me being away since work has me covering 4 states, but i been here 30 years and the money is the best you can get in the area and we alway Dealt with it. then around April mom started having issue so i i was trying to pay attention more to her. so moved back home to take care of her and the girlfriend was cool with this thought it was something most people would not do and we were ok. then the summer hit. and she took a vacation to see the sister it was ok agin till aug i was gone to WI and have been in Madison till around the 7th of oct. come home and meet the new boy friend at a function. so that rips me apart she said i was what she needed for her and the boys(not mine-divorce hers me never married) but she didn't love me any more. so i tried moving on.end up putting new furnace in the house that same week so dipped into savings to do that, so i now been home less than a month and i woke up Monday into a full code situation on mom, and i lost her. so i am now to the point i want to never have to resuscitate another person i am now at a loss, after me doing cpr that seemed like forever since its a death at home the house becomes a crime seen for like 5 hours. then i find out no life insurance policy so i just payed the funeral expence. then to top it off at the funeral yesterday. the ex shows up with the new guy....

Then today i found out we will be off to probate and the stuff i been taking care of since 96 when dad died will probably not come to the me the only son with out a fight. and was told anything in the house is now not mine. Then the boss called me today and said we have been sold the 3rd of dec and we don't know if we will have jobs.

sorry for the wall of text. i am just at a loss..... now i am even worried about my guns in the house cause i don't want 30 years worth of collection taken by probate even though they are not hers and nothing in the house is hers.hast been for awhile..  i don't know if i put the guns on the trust. i have a nfa trust that doesn't have anything on it at all but i formed it just incase. now i don't even know if that would work...

sorry again guys. just at a loss. rereading this it makes me sound whinny. i mean all day i been trying to figure out what i every did to the women i love for 10 years to make her hate me so much...
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 12:23:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Some positives, and things that worked (at least for me):

1) Stay busy.  Idle hands are the Devil’s playground
2) Manage one task at a time instead of juggling a bunch of crap all at once.  Toggle back & forth if necessary.
3) Friends and family support network.  They will tell you that you DO have value.  Listen to them.
4) Recognize your success and achievement.  That didn’t happen by accident, YOU made it happen
5) Build on those successes and achievements.
6) Work on making today more successful than was yesterday

Depression is a deep hole.  Motivation goes to shit, you lose interest in things that you once lived for.
It takes work and effort, but you CAN start climbing back out of that hole.
Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Don’t be too proud to ask for and receive help.
I regret not doing that far sooner, but I finally swallowed that pride.  I’m a better man because of it.
Focus on what’s ahead of you, and leave all that other shit in the rear view mirror.

Our time here is finite.  Make the most of it, because there’s no getting it back
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top