Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 10:16:16 AM EDT
[URL]http://www.wishtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=286135[/URL]

March 30, 2001
                  Student Shot to Death at Gary High School

(Gary-AP) -- A tenth-grade student has been shot to death in the parking lot of Gary Wallace
                  High School.

Gary School Superintendent Mary Guinn and police Chief John Roby say they think the
                  shooting was not random, but rather the victim was specifically targeted. The suspected
                  shooter was believed to be a student who was expelled from the school for poor attendance.
                  Roby says he has been taken into custody.

The shooting occurred at 8:15 this morning, before school started. The Post-Tribune Newspaper reported that the
                  student was shot in a crowd of other students. No other injuries were reported. The superintendent said that there had
                  not been any discipline problems with the victim. She said the school's more than 1,000 students were working with a
                  district-wide crisis team.

Roby said two security officers assigned to the school were inside the building at the time of the shooting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
While another death at the hands of a student using a gun certainly isn't a good thing, I don't think this case can be categorized with those of Columbine and Santee, CA.  The suspect in this case apparently had targeted a single person (the victim.) As I understand it, the suspect had not intended to wield the weapon(s) throughout the school with the idea of wounding/killing as many as he could.

My grandpa went to this high school, by the way, so he was particulary upset, but he brought up a very good point:  if the media didn't cover these stories with so much gusto perhaps the motivation for some of the shootings would disappear.  Any thoughts on this?  I think there's some truth to it.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I was under the impression that schools have a "gun-free" zone around them.

How can all these shootings occur in "gun-free" zones??????
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#3]
ARLady I've got to agree with you.  We have never seen anything like this happen so often like we have in the past five or so years. These are a bunch of stupid a$$ kids that are looking for attention.  Monkey see...Monkey do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Gary Indiana-real nice safe town-NOT  This should not really be called a school shooting as it was a targeted attack, close range 'execution' outside of the school.  I will bet it is gang/drug related.  As far as the kids who keep doing it-Your worthless ass is going to get bent over and dry-fu*ked for the rest of your life while you rot in prison-now was that shot really worth it?
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nobody ever gets murdered in Gary, Indiana! It's such a NICE town! :-o

Sounds like a slow news night item that some anti-gunner wanted to spread with a TV soundbite!

DaMan
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Jesus.........
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Geez, Gary is the reason I just got my indiana permit, if perchance, hell freezes over and I drive through gary, or the gangsters come east, my apartment will be the safest in the neighborhood.

Gary, a zit on the ass of a nice state [:D]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 2:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
"if the media didn't cover these stories with so much gusto perhaps the motivation for some of the shootings would disappear. Any thoughts on this?"

There is truth in this statement, but there are greater issues at work.  The anti gun liberal media is using these incidents to forward their agenda of "too many guns in American".  They truly don't care about "the kids".  This is just a fine vehicle to push disarmament.  If you examine the stats about childhood death, you will find bicycles and swimming pools are far more deadly to children than guns will ever be.

Excessive coverage of these incidents certainly breeds more of the same.  The first incident in California came right after the Dateline report about "Guns and Kids".  One doofus gets the idea about dishing some payback, and here we go again.

Add in the workplace shootings, and you have an excellent stick to beat on the Pro Gun forces with.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's all go back at the being. If I'm right. I
think what got the whole thing start when the Hollywood movies showing a kids dress up a black Tech coat walk in school and shooting up the class.
Who ever made those movies should be the one getting suit not the Firearm Manufacture.
Fact, They are the one that fuel ideas to kids head.
Does anyone agree? Should we remind the Gov. go chewing up their A$$ not us!
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Back in the thirties a teacher brought dynamite to a school and blew up the principal cant remember what town and in the 60s near my little home town in Wi a high school student took out the principal using his daddys shotgun...school shootings are not a new phenomena...when I was in school (a million years ago) kids routinely brought their rifles to school because often we'd ride the bus home to a friends house and spend the fall afternoons hunting squirrels...we werent allowed to show them off just put them in our lockers until after school...a couple of times guys would show off their new nylon 66s and a teacher would come along look at it remark at how "neat" it was and tell the kid to put it back in the locker...we didnt even have cases back then..and the kids would carry them on the bus...never heard of an accident (had no hunters safety classes dad took care of that) and NO ONE EVER threatend or used their 22s or 30/30s for anything other than their intended purpose..if their was dissention between us (usually over a girl ) we went off school property and their was a brief but decisive fist fight or wrestlling match it ended when the other guy said "I give"...often as not hands were eventually shook and the contenders went back to being friendly if not friends...so why are kids today the way they are obviously to blame a gun is faulty logic and you cant cure the problem with a lying or faulty diagnosis ..so what is the real agenda?....
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Back in the thirties a teacher brought dynamite to a school and blew up the principal cant remember what town and in the 60s near my little home town in Wi a high school student took out the principal using his daddys shotgun...school shootings are not a new phenomena...when I was in school (a million years ago) kids routinely brought their rifles to school because often we'd ride the bus home to a friends house and spend the fall afternoons hunting squirrels...we werent allowed to show them off just put them in our lockers until after school...a couple of times guys would show off their new nylon 66s and a teacher would come along look at it remark at how "neat" it was and tell the kid to put it back in the locker...we didnt even have cases back then..and the kids would carry them on the bus...never heard of an accident (had no hunters safety classes dad took care of that) and NO ONE EVER threatend or used their 22s or 30/30s for anything other than their intended purpose..if their was dissention between us (usually over a girl ) we went off school property and their was a brief but decisive fist fight or wrestlling match it ended when the other guy said "I give"...often as not hands were eventually shook and the contenders went back to being friendly if not friends...so why are kids today the way they are obviously to blame a gun is faulty logic and you cant cure the problem with a lying or faulty diagnosis ..so what is the real agenda?....

I remember that too when I was teenager at the High School. We use bring all the high power rifle in parklots buying and sell. It was the most peace and freedom of all but, Not anymore.
The Damit Hollywoods make the matter worst which aren't like Andy Grif. show.
Fact, we didn't have those Bit*h like Sarah Bandy whom blowjob all bigshot to become Anti-gun.
I have a strong feeling She given alots of head job to all the Gov. while her husband  looking over beating his danling monkey to shooting point blank.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top