Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 7:28:56 PM EDT
I did a quick search & didn't find anything. I guess I've never wondered about this since it doesn't apply to me, but, can a foreigner buy a handgun in the U.S.?

One of my Japanese customers asked me this today while we were looking at their onion seed fields. I know I could look it up, but thought you guys would be much quicker :)

NMSight
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
General Questions

1. Q. May foreign visitors and other nonimmigrant aliens legally in the United States purchase or possess firearms and ammunition while in the United States?

A. Nonimmigrant aliens generally are prohibited from possessing or receiving (purchasing) firearms and ammunition in the United States.

[url]www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/form6updatesfaqs.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That's it ^
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
If the individual is a resident alien, they can legally purchase firearms.  Non immigrant or visiting aliens cannot, except under very limited circumstances.

However, illegal aliens can just purchase them illegally on the street.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
XM777,

Thanks for the link. Too bad, in this case. Turns out this guy is one of the few (very few) people who are allowed to own and keep a handgun in Japan for target shooting.

He doesn't fit into any of the exceptions, and even if he did, he wouldn't be here long enough at a time for the requirement. He wanted to buy a good handgun so he wouldn't have to get the varying quality of rental guns at the ranges when he is over here 2 or 3 times a year.

I'll tell him he will just have to retire here.

Thanks again,

NMSight
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top