Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 7:02:10 PM EDT
Title says it all.    Will it do the work or just stay with the corded one?

thanks,
John
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#1]
They're OK for quick fixes... I have both corded and -less, like them both, but the cordless is great for running into the house, grabbing it, and getting back outside for a quick cut/grind without having to snake out an extension cord. They're not as powerful, just convenient.

Get one of each; they're inexpensive, and you would spend less time on changing heads while working. FWIW...
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cordless one. It is less powerful than the corded ones. It is great for taking with you to touch up that chainsaw blade when you hit a rock or dirt or simply cut too much wood in one day.

When the current battery dies I will use the battery shell and a wall wart transformer so I can run it indoors and plugged in indefinately.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends a bit on what you’re going to do with it.  The best solution, as Arquebus12 says, get one of each.

If you can only afford one, you probably should get one with the cord and a speed control.  The limited power, speed and run time of the rechargeable makes it almost unusable for some involved projects.

Granted, the rechargeable is really handy for quick jobs.  It’s also a little more reassuring to use than a corded one when standing in a puddle of water!

One of each is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO, I would stick with corded tools unless you have a good reason why you need a cordless one, like you plan on using it where it's impossible or inconvinent to run a power line. I tend to do little (or not so little) project at my apartment or in a workshop, so it's just a hassle to run out of battery power and have to switch or wait for a fresh one to charge. Not to mention that rechargable batteries do die for good eventually. I have a battery for my 12v cordless drill that can't be charged higher then 4v anymore.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
They are whimpy. less power.
after a while the Ni-Cad goes south and won't hold a charge for long, like any Ni-Cad.

I never use mine anymore.

My 120 VAC Dremel is wonderfull.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got one of the little versa-pak wizards.  It's great for small jobs, but it EATS batteries.  I think you would be better off with a corded one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top