Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2002 12:44:11 PM EDT
You know, I'm begining to hear some funny rumors, that U.S. Troops in Pakistan are providing targeting data, for a conventional Steath Bomber, JDAM attack meant to take out a large part of the Paki nuclear capability.

Has anybody else heard any rumors to that effect and how do you feel about the idea of America taking away a large number of Pakistans toys in a single conventional bombing raid?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#2]
those rumors are absurd. not that i'd have any problem with such an action, but... the US would never do it, mostly for fear of the intolerable whining from europe that would result.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh Forgive me RAF, your moderatorship, how stupid of me to think, that we might use U.S. Troops in Pakistan to keep track of where the Paki nukes were....OF course we would never, Ever do anything like that.

And of course, we would Neeevvvvver, ever think about taking them out with JDAMS, No all those guys down in the basement of the Pentagon, just sit around and play bridge and checkers all day.

If your that deluded, that you think, the U.S. military has not gamed out such possibilites....maybe your the one thats ready for a tin foil hat RAF.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
No, just quick on the reply...
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I think if Pakistan goes Nuclear, we should obliterate the rest of their nukes, and see to it that they can never use them again.

The bloody savages.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
F&L,
you bet we gamed out a strike against the Pakistan nukes.

However, since Pakistan is one of our new 'best' friends I believe it more likely that we would hit India.

Now actually I don't believe we will need to hit either and I don't believe either will use nukes.  Touchy, touchy situation though.  This one is sitting in the back yard of both China and Russia.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
F&L,

However, since Pakistan is one of our new 'best' friends I believe it more likely that we would hit India.

View Quote

I like your sarcasm.

It's strange how Pakistan is, as you say "one of our new 'best' friends", yet I get the feeling that they're really one of our most dangerous enemies.....
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
F&L,

View Quote

I like your sarcasm.

It's strange how Pakistan is, as you say "one of our new 'best' friends", yet I get the feeling that they're really one of our most dangerous enemies.....
View Quote

I too wonder about Pakistan.  We dumped them some years ago when we no longer needed them to be our paymasters for the Taliban and they must remember that.

However, there are tremendous financial incentives for them to continue friendly to the U.S.  Musharef (sp?) is no Islamic radical.  'If' he can stay in power, Pakistan just might remain in our camp.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I bet Musharef is a pretty stressed-out dude, these days.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#12]
You know....I get a kick out off all the goof balls that are howling about the FALLOUT from Paki and Indian bombs drifting all over the place and Contaminating the WHOLE WORLD.

Get a clue guys, If they are smart enough to build ATOMIC WEAPONS, they are smart enough to build a SIMPLE RADAR ALTIMITER,and AIRBURST THE GREAT MAJORITY OF TARGETS.

Other than a couple of command and weapons bunkers 95% of all targets hit in a nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India, would be airburst targets.

Ground bursts are inefficent and waste a huge amount of energy digging a big crater in the ground. The Earth from this crator is irradiated and comes back down as FALLOUT.

Airbursts use a terrible economy of energy, in that, they are detonated at altitude, spreading the blast and themal effect over more than twice the area of a ground burst. Handy for hunting down mobile missle lauchers, airfields and of course cities. And of course the good part, AIRBURSTS PRODUCE VERY LITTLE FALLOUT because the do not suck up all that earth into the mushroom cloud.

Does anybody really think that the Indians or the Pakis have A-Bombs with a detonator that goes off on impact with the ground, sticking out of the end of the bomb casing like some U.S. Civil war cannon ball.

I dunno, maybe it makes people on this board feel better to just assume that the enemy is so stupid that they would irradiate themselves in the process of doing this awful thing, they are about to do.

I think it makes us feel better, to paint the these countries as mindless primatives with nuclear weapons made of stone knives and bearskins....Like the Flintstones with NUKES.

Actualy the Indians are Writing a huge hunk of the worlds softwear and Silicone valley is full of Indian Engineers.

I think if you actualy took the cover plate off of a Indian Nuke you might be pretty shocked at just how advanced the workmanship inside was.

The Indians and Paki's have been thinking about nuking each other for a long time, They have studied all of our nuke tests and writings on the subject.

Do 'ya think they Don't know about AIRBURSTS!!!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#13]
A little off topic....Does anyone have info on down wind predictions based on India/Paki Nuke scenerios? Is there an open source floating around out there?
Just interested on who else will feel the pain if this goes high ord.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A little off topic....Does anyone have info on down wind predictions based on India/Paki Nuke scenerios? Is there an open source floating around out there?
Just interested on who else will feel the pain if this goes high ord.

View Quote

Saw a graphic on FOX last night but without a mileage scale.  Looked as if parts of Russia and China would be included.
-----------------------------------------------

F&L,
I think you're probably right about the fallout hysteria.  I believe you pointed out our own above-ground tests in an earlier posts and those were apparently without much effect.

My father was in the Navy during WW II and walked in Hiroshima two weeks after the blast.  He's going to be 84 his next birthday and that crap is going to kill him one of these days !!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I know just how that goes Sub5, My dad was at both Hiroshima and Nagasaski just after the war and was based at Sasabo Harbor Japan for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know just how that goes Sub5, My dad was at both Hiroshima and Nagasaski just after the war ....
View Quote

My dad was also at both places.  He was on a Mine sweeper and they had to get in quick to clear the harbors.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:28:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Dad found a mine once....But it was not planned that way.

He to was in the Navy, And ended up on a Harbor Defence Crane Barge at Sasabo.

One day, the brass decided to send them out to try to snag a sonar hydraphone cable up off the bottom of the harbor...

So they go out there and they snag a mud covered cable up off the bottom...'cept there was just one teeny tiny problem

It was'nt a Hydraphone on the end of the cable, IT WAS A JAP BOTTOM SITTING REMOTE CONTROL HARBOR MINE, that somebody missed on that mine clearing earlier, that you were speaking of.

Oops!!!

Now mind you, that this mine was about 8' wide, packed with high explosives and designed to take out a Cruiser...it would have tuned the flat bottomed 60' Crane Barge into Match sticks and a smoking hole in the water.

My father used to relate with glee the look on his old chief petty officers face as he realised what he had caught, and ran screaming down the deck "Stop the damn Crane STOP THE DAMNED CRANE.

Needless to say, they were some very carefull sailors unattaching this thing and letting it float off to a safe distance where they took turns shooting at it with a Garand till it blew up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad your dad and friends got that mine as I've spent many happy days (well mostly nights) in Sasebo.  A mine that size can ruin your entire day !!
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
i think it would be alot easier if we did disable paki's nukes by whatever means,less land mass to find them.
mushie won't make it if they get overrun by india,he gets assasinated,extremist general takes over,launches nukes in the name of allah.
mushie is not in control of anything except his own bowels.
rescue93
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just talking with one of the joint chiefs the other day, and he confirmed these rumors to me.  He said to look for a CNN special on the operation BEFORE it goes down.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just talking with one of the joint chiefs the other day, and he confirmed these rumors to me.  He said to look for a CNN special on the operation BEFORE it goes down.  [rolleyes]
View Quote

Just as long as the Chief didn't have a joint...
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:40:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I would'a thought the special would a been on FOX
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#24]
While Stealth Bombers armed with nukes would in fact offer a far higher chance of taking out the Paki nuclear capability...Somehow I doubt that we are planning a NUCLEAR FIRST STRIKE ON PAKISTAN.

No, the guys down in the basement of the Pentagon are big belivers in this Precision Guided Munitions stuff.

My money says, their more likely plan, would be to attack the Warhead and Command bunkers at the airfield at Saragoda, the deployed mobile Missles that they can find and The FiberOptic Missle Command Nodes spread out in four different parts of Pakistan (American Companies built the Fiber Optic Nodes, So we ought to know where they are.)

We would not have to get them all, just enough of them to make the paki's have doubts about their ability to effectivly fight India.

Pakistan Knows that its mobile launchers are the key to its offensive nuclear capability, if we degrade this force, it places India in such a position of advantage, that for Pakistan War with India is no longer an option.

Bush and Putin may have made an agreement to do just this, last week in Moscow, in the event that the Indo/Paki situation worsened.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Whoever thought up that plan must have a hankering for more terrorism.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Taking out the guidance & command stuff makes sense, but if we blow up the nukes themselves, we'll have a lot of contamination.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh yes, without doubt, there would be some Plutonium contamination of areas on the Paki Airbase at Saragoda where the primary warhead bunkers are, and downrange carried by smoke resulting from fires.

However this would be a negligable Radioactive Release, when compared to allowing the Paki's to launch Nuclear Attacks on the High Population Density Cities in India. killing Millions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top