Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/31/2002 8:48:05 PM EDT
I get a mess of offers for credit cards, and other sensitive junk mail. So I want a machine that will not just turn pages into narrow strips, but chop it up into litle chips or the famous "chads". I want a solidly built one that won't fall apart under a weekly stream of envelopes full of this stuff -- I don't want to have to open all this stuff in order to feed it. U.S. made, if possible. What do you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:50:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:53:25 PM EDT
You want a cross cut shredder, not a ribbon type. For light duty, they run well under $100. Check at an office supply store like Staples or Office Depot. Mind the page limits, ie 7 pages at a time, and the volume guidelines. I let my stuff pile up once and burned out the motor of a light duty unit. Both of the ones I have owned, "Fellowes" brand, I think, could shred staples and paper clips, which saves some time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:57:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:14:34 PM EDT
[shock] you guys are giving me nightmares..... Paper
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:47:41 AM EDT
I've seen cross-cut shredders at the local drug store for $25. We have one of the cheap ones, and as long as you don't feed it more than 5 or 6 pages at a time, it works fine. And it eats credit cards with ease.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:43:13 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:57:08 AM EDT
$19.95 Zippo lighter.Never understood the paper shredder crazy.Oh and a $10 steel bucket.Don't do a "lisa LEFT-eye lopez" and burn your house down,by starting a fire in your plastic bathtub.[}:D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 1:59:19 AM EDT
I have a Royal CX7000. It's a 7 page limit cross cut. That 12 page one would probably be better, but I've had no problems with this one. I think I got this at Costco, but not sure. Overkill is ALWAYS good ;) Get one that exceeds your expectations, and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:24:34 AM EDT
I have a Royal TS9512C crosscut (actually makes confetti), works great. it does credit cards, staples and about 6 pages at a time. In this day and age of Identity Theft, you can't be too safe! [url]http://www.royal.com/ecommerce/category-browse.tcl?category_id=3[/url]
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 5:06:12 PM EDT
Krrrrrrrappp! Just went to the Office Depot and all they have is ribbon shredders and one model which says 'confetti' - it only goes down to 1/4" X 3" strips.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:54:33 PM EDT
I think our Fellowes brand only goes to 1/4" X 2" or so. Works ok, but feeding three pages at once would bog it down too much. Don't remember how much i paid. Office Depot, I think, is where I got it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 8:30:10 PM EDT
Saw one in a supply catalog at work that takes twenty pages at a time with staples or paper clips. It cost a little over a grand. Don't remember the name though. Don't go too cheap on one, or it just jams up and you have to replace them anyhow. I'd reccommend the fireplace thing myself.
Top Top