Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 8:05:11 AM EDT
I'm going to rent a car on vacation.
Is this really nesessaray or is it a way for them to get $20 or so a day extra?
My wife and I always disagree over this.
I rent about 5 or 6 cars a year and never pay the extra money.
I figure at 5 or 6 rentals per year my deductable would darn near be paid.
Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#1]
depending on teh agency you can attach the rental car to your insurance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Call YOUR insurance agent.  Ask if you have rental coverage, I do and I think most do.

If you don't, get it.  It will be much cheaper to get it from your own company, anyway.

When you have it, do not let them try crap like, "We'll demand the money right away even if you have insurance."

Demand all you want, you'll be dealing with my insurance company.

BTW, I had a buddy who worked for Enterprise, it was their biggest moneymaker and he earned a bonus based on how much he sold.    
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Also check with your credit card company.  They may cover you automatically.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I think most insurance cover you for rental cars if you have full coverage.

What they don't cover is "loss of use" clauses.

this is the time between the accident and them getting the car back in rental use.

I rented a car in Cal and in Vegas.

Both companies had thes clauses.

I ended up buying the insurance[:(]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Only get the extra coverage if you're planning on having a wreck [;)]  

Seriously, it is a waste of money if you already have full coverage on your own vehicle.  But to be safe, check your own policy as states laws and policies vary.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Check with your insurance agent, but you should be covered on your own policy.  I'm a practicing insurance defense lawyer and most policies do cover rental cars.  The "extra" insurance the rental car companies sell is a rip-off.  If your own policy covers it, the company the rental agency uses won't pay off because you have other insurance.  But, to be on the safe side, check with your agent just to be sure.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Call your insurance company and ask if they cover "loss of use" clauses guys,I bet they don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top