Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2002 7:31:04 AM EDT
I want to purchase one of the RRA M4's they have advertised. In the past I have read positive and negative things about them.

What is your opinion of their service and pricing before I send them my hard earned money.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with their service.  They always ship what and when they promise.  Prices are easily compared elsewhere on the net.  Like everyone else, they're higher on some parts and lower on others.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:46:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Meat-man,
I have made approx. 5 orders with Gunsmoke/Ed Basile and I have received premium service and quality merchandise.  Pick up the phone and call Gunsmoke, he'll probably be the one that answers the phone.  I've talked to him on a couple occasions and he's always been cordial and helpful.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
No personal experience with him. I go to another dealer, simply because I have done business with him for along time, even tho I live closest to GS. (yah, about 2.5 mi away)

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#4]

I would go here first.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=[/url]

My experience with Pete has been better than my experience with Gunsmoke.  I ordered 3 lowers from them earlier in the year becuase they where like $5 cheaper than Pete but it took twice as long as they said it would to deliver the lowers & their correspondance was poor.
 Everytime I've dealt with Pete though, A+ service.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've dealt with Ed Sr. and Jr. numerous times. Nothing but great service and info. Ed Jr. does the gunshow circuit and has answered all my questions. He even gave me a heavy duty ejector spring when I had a FTE issue.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I received poor service from gunsmoke.
I bought a complete bolt assembly from them and the finish was poor the bolt itself looked like it had a crinkle finish on it. I called gunsmoke, told them about the problem and they refused to accept a return they said it should work fine, well it didn't. I have since fixed the bolt myself and got it to work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have ordered from them a few times.  They were a little slow, but the products and prices were good.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I recently ordered an RRA 9mm upper from them after confirming availability and a price they listed in a for sale post here (as it wasn't listed on their website) in the "Ask Ed" forum on their website.  They reponded in the affirmative.  I placed my order (after a few false starts when their online ordering system failed), but didn't hear anything back for about 10 days, nor was my CC charged.  When I requested status, I was informed they were currently waiting for uppers from RRA.

Now, I thought I was pretty clear in my question when I asked they were in stock, however, I suppose it was possible that they may have missed that.  This just confirms that is always better to actually speak with someone in situations like this (I would not have placed my order if I thought they were backordered like everyone else), but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt this time.

I believe they are out of the rifles you are looking for, however.  From the image, it also appeared that they had the lightweight barrels, and not the M4 profile barrels, despite what they were being called.  I also believe that these were not factory built RRA guns, nor even all RRA parts - if you notice, these guns were being offered with chrome lined barrels before RRA's were even available.  If you check the forums on their website, I think he mentions in one of the threads that they are BM barrels.  That is all well and good, but I think that if they are being advertised as RRA rifles, then they should be 100% RRA, factory built rifles.

It appears he does this with most or all of the guns he sells - buys the components and assembles them himself.  As I said, there is nothing wrong with this, but I think it is a bit misleading.  When someone advertises a Bushmaster, RRA, whatever rifle for sale, I think they expect to get one that the manufacturer built themselves.  This theory is given more weight by the fact that GS advertises a 1 year warranty on all their rifles, which wouldn't make sense if they were factory built rifles - they'd then go by the manufacturers warranty.  Once again, there is nothing wrong GS building the rifles, and I'm sure they have excellent smith(s) that build fine rifles, but I think their presentation can be very misleading at times.

Rocko
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
   Week before last (thurs)I called down to order a brake and a stripped lower. I specificly asked to make sure he had the parts on hand, especally the lower. He said they were in stock so I gave him my cc number to hold one for me while my FFL dealer sent a copy of his FFL down. He charges extra to do busness with a cc but I wanted to reserve one rather than send a money order down with the FFL. Well I call him on Wed of last week and he has recieved the FFL but tells me that he's out of lowers. I said that thats the reason that I gave him my cc# was to buy a lower that he said was in stock. He replied that "they're first come first served some should be in next week". How can I trust him when he's already lied once. I feel that I bought one when I gave him my cc info and the FFL wait was just a shipping problem. I would not have sent the FFl if they wern't in stock I would have called someone else and he knew that.
I canceled the order.

Mabye I'm just anal, but I feel that he runs a loose operation where the customer doesnt come first and my money will be going elswhere.
My .02
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:33:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It appears he does this with most or all of the guns he sells - buys the components and assembles them himself.  As I said, there is nothing wrong with this, but I think it is a bit misleading.  When someone advertises a Bushmaster, RRA, whatever rifle for sale, I think they expect to get one that the manufacturer built themselves.  This theory is given more weight by the fact that GS advertises a 1 year warranty on all their rifles, which wouldn't make sense if they were factory built rifles - they'd then go by the manufacturers warranty.  Once again, there is nothing wrong GS building the rifles, and I'm sure they have excellent smith(s) that build fine rifles, but I think their presentation can be very misleading at times.
Rocko
View Quote

What he said...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Being an educated consumer is your best protection.  Just make sure you receive what you've ordered. Several years ago, I specifically requested a Bushmaster upper from Gunsmoke, but what I received was not the real McCoy - no markings on upper or barrel, and the handguards had no heat shields  

Ed Sr. did straighten out the mess after I sent it back.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I agee with most of what has been posted. I ordered an ARMS 40, waited, called, said it would be shipped, waited. Bought another one while I was waiting. I think GSE will take your order/CC info regardless of having the items you want in stock. YMMV, but they won't get any more of my business.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have bought one item from them.

[size=4][red]That was one item too many![/size=4][/red]

I know that my experience may not be the same with others but I would rather give my business to Donnie P. of Sableco.

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It appears he does this with most or all of the guns he sells - buys the components and assembles them himself. As I said, there is nothing wrong with this, but I think it is a bit misleading. When someone advertises a Bushmaster, RRA, whatever rifle for sale, I think they expect to get one that the manufacturer built themselves. This theory is given more weight by the fact that GS advertises a 1 year warranty on all their rifles, which wouldn't make sense if they were factory built rifles - they'd then go by the manufacturers warranty. Once again, there is nothing wrong GS building the rifles, and I'm sure they have excellent smith(s) that build fine rifles, but I think their presentation can be very misleading at times.
Rocko
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What he said...
View Quote

When I had difficulty finding a BM M4, Ed assembled one for me. I knew that going in, so that was not a problem.   What did bother me, though is that when I got it, it had a RRA fake tele on it.  I was led to believe that it would be 100% BM.  He offered to send me a BM stock, but I didn't want to hassle with the removal & installation process & who would pay for all of that.   The worse part is that now it makes me wonder....what about the upper, the trigger group, the bolt & carrier, etc.   How can I be sure that they are all 100% BM?

If you go with him, make sure he guarantees you what you are getting!
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]

For the upper receiver and barrel, there are BM marks that should confirm whether it is made by BM or not. As for the smaller parts in a lower parts set, I don't really know if there are any.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
777: Check for the dry lube in the upper.  The gas key screws should be staked.  The trigger group should be polished on the contact surfaces.  I am not sure if there is anyway to check the bolt itself.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#17]
ED DID GRATE WORK FOR ME  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top