Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/31/2002 2:44:04 AM EDT
ok, I guess It's my turn at the "damn its early/late and I can't sleep" posts..

WTF is up with a good number of drivers now-a-days?

Unable to do the speed limit.

Unable to do the speed limit AND will [u]slow down[/u] because there is a cop on the side of the road with radar.

Unable to do the speed limit AND will [u]slow down[/u] because a cop has someone pulled over.

In the 'passing lane' and on a friggin cellphone, usually not doing the speed limit, thus, blocking traffic.

Or, just being on a cellphone and not paying attention to where they're going.

and why is it that when some @-hole is violating the speed limit by at least 20+ over and/or driving like there is no tomorrow, THERE ARE NO COPS AROUND?

I must admit, I have seen [b]ONE[/b] time where a cop was in the right place at the right time..  I seen a truck blow thru a red light at a 3-way stop and there just happened to be a cop at that intersection... lit him up and had the guy on the side so fast, it was pretty cool.

ok, I'm getting a bit sleepy.. back to bed... see y'all in a couple hours.  [|)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I get more aggrevated with the idiots who don't know how to handle basic rules at two-way stop signs.  Aaaarrggghhh...

Get your book out and read it!

edited to add:

Damn - you're supposed to do something special with your 1500th post, aren't you?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Unable to do the speed limit AND will [u]slow down[/u] because a cop has someone pulled over.
View Quote

umm...I think that slowing down is the proper thing to do...just like with road workers, they are off to the side of where you are driving, but not by much. You should at least slow down a little, and get out of the right lane...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

umm...I think that slowing down is the proper thing to do...just like with road workers, they are off to the side of where you are driving, but not by much. You should at least slow down a little, and get out of the right lane...
View Quote

I think he meant that they were already going slower than the speed limit....
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
a3, yes.  Cursing is special enough [;D]
View Quote

I love your sig line, man...beautiful!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:14:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I think he meant that they were already going slower than the speed limit....
View Quote

I know what you mean, but slowing down for 200 yards is nothing to start ranting about...unless they slowed down to some ridiculously low speed like 25 in a 65.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:33:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah heck, let it begin:

1)  Drivers who have the "it's my road, damnit" attitude and don't see any reason to get out of the left lane even when they are going slower than traffic in the right lane.

2)  Even worse, drivers in the left lane who insist on going [b]the same[/b] speed as drivers in the right lane.  I see this happen so much on I-80 between OH & NYC.  Invariably, a semi decides that it's cool to take [b]10-15 minutes[/b] to pass another semi uphill in the mountains going 45 MPH.

People like this are what's wrong with America!  I'm only half kidding.  They have this attitude that you can do whatever you want and have no need to be polite to other people or follow ordinary conventions regarding the use of a shared resource like a public road.

[:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:45:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Gotta agree with ya, fizassist.

happens way too much with people forming a "road block" on the road and not allowing faster drivers to pass.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:35:52 AM EDT
[#9]
People that cut me off only to go slower than I was going.

Rollback drivers who think their vehicle is a GT40.

Ricers that have to slow down for every bump in the road lest their wheels fall off/tires pop.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#10]
[b]The left lane is a PASSING LANE, so keep right and let me pass![/b]  

I drive on the interstate everyday, and NOTHING ticks me off more than slow drivers in the left lane.  It's common f'ing courtesy to move over when someone is approaching from behind, and is obviously going faster than you are!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#11]
The worst is the drivers that don't understand (or even care) the meaning of the words [b]MERGE[/b] or [b]YEILD[/b]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Slow drivers in the left lane , I say do what they do in Germany - ticket them !! God do I miss the Autobahn !!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

2)  Even worse, drivers in the left lane who insist on going [b]the same[/b] speed as drivers in the right lane.  

View Quote

Quoted:

The worst is the drivers that don't understand (or even care) the meaning of the words MERGE or YEILD

View Quote

these are the two big things that piss me off while driving.  i just want to slam into those idiots that come to a complete stop while merging onto a highway.  they have that whole lane to get up to speed so they can [b]merge[/b] right into traffic.  grrrrrr!  thats very irritating.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:08:48 AM EDT
[#14]
My favorite bumper sticker:

"Caution:  I drive like you do!"
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:13:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I get more aggrevated with the idiots who don't know how to handle basic rules at two-way stop signs.  Aaaarrggghhh...

Get your book out and read it!

edited to add:

Damn - you're supposed to do something special with your 1500th post, aren't you?
View Quote

In Wisconsin, I believe it is "the person on the left yields to the person on the right".  

Do I pass?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:15:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have to admit that on the freeway, I tend to drive rather fast.  People that block traffic intentionally as a public service on the freeway nearly have a stroke when I pass them in a merge lane.

I have also noticed that people who flash their lights at me and blow their horn when I blow past them on the freeway think nothing of doing 20+ over the speed limit in a subdivision near children and homes, i.e 45 MPH in a 20 MPH zone.

My philosophy is very simple.  Freeways were made for hauling ass.  Drive the fugging speed limit in  subdivisons and around kids.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:21:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually, the speed limit is the TOP limit of speed, not the starting point, so you really have no right to bitch if someone is going 50 MPH in a 55 zone.

No you shouldn't drive slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane, even if you are at max legal limit.  It's just plain stupid.

Slowing down when approaching a traffic stop is simple courtesy to the police officer who is often standing out on the shoulder or even in the road if the stopee wasn't bright enough to pull well off the road. Clipping a cop at a traffic stop is a great way to go to jail.

What I really hate is the isiots who drive hell-bent on a road with lots of traffic lights.  These are the folks who pass you by so fast you can't even tell the make of their car until you catch them at the next light.

The "conventional wisdom" nowadays seems to be that the speed limit is "faster."  Faster than the next guy that is.   It's a competitive driving attitude that is just plain dangerous.

Folks, in a 40 mile commute the difference between 60 mph and 70 mph is about 6 minutes if the whole trip is unobstructed highway miles where you can maintain that speed.  Usually it isn't. Get up a few minutes earlier and help lower everyone's blood pressure.

What really kills me though is the folks who drive 70 mph on rural 2 lane highways. They sweep up on you from behind and then ride your ass for a mile or two before pulling out to pass in frustration in a no-passing zone.

Route 2 near where live is an undivided highway.  We've constantly got head-on crashes here that kill and maim because people drive like idiots.

People who merge onto highways without bothering to see if the lane is clear enough to do so.  Friggin' dangerous buggers.  People who stop in the ramp because it is unsafe to merge don't bother me as much as the previous bunch.

I end up pulling over an awful lot on the secondary rounds to let people by.  I hate tailgaters and life is too damned short to risk it by driving like an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Tailgaters annoy me to no end. Regardless if they can pass they hang on my tail. Its not nascar dammit no drafting! Pass me!
So I flash my brakelights twice. If the dont back of. I flash them while turning the wheel in in avery short sharp movement in both directions then back to center. Causign the vehical to shake. This causes some to wise up and back off or pass. Those that dont get the roadblock treatment. I find a slowmoving car and slowdown infront of him but in the other lane. This really annoys them and makes me feel better seeing them so upset. Flashing their lights at me and gesturing. Depending on show close they are I might hit the brakes enought to cause the car to jump (but i only dare do this on 45 and below roads.). one 2lane roads i will slow down to around half the speed limit in a no-passing zone. Its amazing that these idiot tailgaters will hang on your ass endangering themselves and you but wont dare consider passing in a no-passing zone. then when a passing zone pops up i floor it and come up to speed. and guess what they do? get on my ass again. another nopass another half speedlimit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tailgaters annoy me to no end. Regardless if they can pass they hang on my tail. Its not nascar dammit no drafting! Pass me!
So I flash my brakelights twice. If the dont back of. I flash them while turning the wheel in in avery short sharp movement in both directions then back to center. Causign the vehical to shake. This causes some to wise up and back off or pass. Those that dont get the roadblock treatment. I find a slowmoving car and slowdown infront of him but in the other lane. This really annoys them and makes me feel better seeing them so upset. Flashing their lights at me and gesturing. Depending on show close they are I might hit the brakes enought to cause the car to jump (but i only dare do this on 45 and below roads.). one 2lane roads i will slow down to around half the speed limit in a no-passing zone. Its amazing that these idiot tailgaters will hang on your ass endangering themselves and you but wont dare consider passing in a no-passing zone. then when a passing zone pops up i floor it and come up to speed. and guess what they do? get on my ass again. another nopass another half speedlimit.
View Quote

Jerk....pull to the side, let us by!! Actually, It's not a big problem for me. I've got a 406 stroker, 3/4 race cam, 5 speed in a Corvette. I just blow off the a##holes....
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just drive a crappy car, like something rejected fromt he Hellen Keller Driving School, and stand on the brakes when this happens.

I have found that this will cure even the most ardent tailgater.  If it works in NJ (where I perfected the technique) it will work anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
......406 stroker, 3/4 race cam, ........
View Quote

WTF is a 3/4 race cam? [>:/]

Is a 406 really a "stroker"? Isn't it just an over bored 400?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:53:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

2)  Even worse, drivers in the left lane who insist on going [b]the same[/b] speed as drivers in the right lane.  I see this happen so much on I-80 between OH & NYC.  Invariably, a semi decides that it's cool to take [b]10-15 minutes[/b] to pass another semi uphill in the mountains going 45 MPH.

View Quote

I like to call this:  Two average assholes racing!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Just drive a crappy car, like something rejected fromt he Hellen Keller Driving School, and stand on the brakes when this happens.

I have found that this will cure even the most ardent tailgater.  If it works in NJ (where I perfected the technique) it will work anywhere.
View Quote

This will only work if your car is both faster and has better brakes than mine because I live to pass an I WILL get in front and then I will do a demonstration of what 4 wheel disks on a 2500 lb. car can do. I never get in the way of ANYONE going faster than me. That is courtesy. If you want to start a wreckless driving game by brake checking people you are taking your LIFE into your own hands. People die because of this S#IT. So quit being a jacka$$, and get you and your POS out of the way.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:01:20 AM EDT
[#24]
The speed limit should be 130mph(just to be nice to Jap car drivers that can't make 150mph)
and the Cops should stick to f*ing with people that don't bow down to them and let you get from place to place in peace
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#25]
My pet peeve is drivers that hit their brakes in the acceleration lane as they're getting onto a highway.  Idiots, it's called the acceleration lane for a reason.

blow thru a red light...lit him up and had the guy on the side so fast, it was pretty cool.
View Quote

I would have loved to have seen that.  The cops around here simply won't stop anyone for running a red light.  The accident rate in the county where I live is twice the state average, and with the cops ticketing for people driving 2 MPH over in school zones or writing parking tickets, I guess they just don't have time to handle people who ignore red lights and stop signs.  I embarrassed one officer about five years ago when he didn't stop someone who ran a red light right in front of us.  He was in front of me at the intersection, and a guy blew through it about 10 seconds after the light had changed.  The green light for people turning left had already been green and had just changed to yellow when the guy did that.  I got out of my car and knocked on his window and asked to speak to his supervisor.   We waited at a gas station beside the intersection for his supervisor.  The officer claimed to his supervisor that it couldn't make it through the intersection safely so he couldn't pursue.  Then, what's the blue light on the top of the car for?  I see that officer every once in a while.  I get a long evil look each time, but I drive the speed limit, so all he can do is just look.z
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#26]
ITS CALLED A TURN SIGNAL, LEARN TO USE IT, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I agree wholheartedly with Magic. I DO hum along on the highway, buy I'm VERY careful once I get off it. I've seen a kid get hit by a car (actually twice) and it ain't purty. Though I usually drive up to 5MPH faster than the posted speed limit on the highway, if someone comes screaming up behind me, I'm MORE THAN WILLING to move over, let them pass, and allow THEM to troll for cops. Because I make certain that I'm NEVER the fastest vehicle on the highway, I haven't had a ticket since 1982(my hotrod days). I take driving VERY seriously, and it pisses me off when others don't-like the dolt that's chatting away on the cellphone, changing lanes without signals, not doing the speed limit in the fast lane, etc. I think the root cause of all this is that COMMON COURTESY has all but vanished in the U.S. What a shame. BTW, my truck is a 4 banger FI 4WD Toyota with 166K miles, so 80MPH is about as fast as I'll push it-our rural speed limit is 75MPH. I think I hit 85 once, getting a run at a hill.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#28]
How about this:

I sitting at a signal with two lanes that turn left, the drivers in the inside lane are notorious for cutting the corner resulting in a late apex that puts them into the next lane nearly taking out the car inside his own outside lane, and I need the outside lane so I always check out what the car beside me is going to do. Anyway, there's a brand new Mercedes and the guy driving it has a vanity license plate frame proclaiming his alumni status at MIT university, a fucking rocket scientist, right?. Well, I think this guy understands math and geometry and probably can execute a proper turn inside his lane, (not!) I take off and stay centered in the outside lane setting him up for the obvious point where I cut him off as he drifts into my lane, and guess what! he has to brake and tighten his turning radius.

So much for our rocket scientist.

Problem is, no matter who you are, most times your brain is not engaged while driving. I'm surprised I don't see more carnage on the road with all this inattention.

That's my gripe!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:43:48 AM EDT
[#29]
I hate drivers that don't want to be passed by or follow a truck so they pass and then slow down.   Also hate whe people try to draft the  big trucks.  Had to see those little buttheads.  Trucks don't drive like cars.  They don,t accelerate as fast and they sure as hell can't brake as fast.  Remember 9 times out of 10, if the truck could go faster, he praobably would.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I hate drivers that don't want to be passed by or follow a truck so they pass and then slow down.   Also hate whe people try to draft the  big trucks.  Had to see those little buttheads.  Trucks don't drive like cars.  They don,t accelerate as fast and they sure as hell can't brake as fast.  Remember 9 times out of 10, if the truck could go faster, he praobably would.
View Quote

That is painfully obvious.  Ever went in the ditch because some asshole semi driver thinks that the middle of a blinding whiteout snowstorm, at night, is the best time to go as fast as the rig will go?  I have.  I can deal with no vision for 3-5 seconds tops.  But when the semi blasts by you at 60 plus and the whiteout lasts for oh, 8-10 seconds due to the 4 plus inches of dry powder accumulated in both lanes, you tend to get vertigo and go right in the crapper.

If it was up to me, semis would be banned from driving in the snow or ice period...as in, pull over and get off the road or go to jail.  They cause way too many problems for ordinary and even careful motorists in bad winter weather.  Because while careful motorists slow down, the fucking trucks don't.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#31]
If the weather was that bad, why were you on the road?  Turck drivers make their living driving that truck.  If they shut down they could lose a lot of money.  OK, now this aint intended to be a flame at all, but that driver has probably driven more miles than you ever will and is more than likely a better driver to boot.  Give those drivers a break, after all they keep this country goin.

Edited to say :  Ok, so it was kind of a flame, just don't take it personal.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who said,

"You ever notice that anyone going faster than you is a maniac and anyone going slower than you is an idiot?"

Amply demonstrated in this thread. Everyone here thinks how they drive is "reasonable" but look how many disagreements we got.

My take:

-Use your damn turn signals
-If I'm 10 or so miles over in the fast lane, stay off my ass or pass on the left. I can do friggin 55 here, iffin I want
-If you're in a hurry and have to get in front of me, don't you dare slow down.
-courtesy returns courtesy
-I don't give a sh** if you are late for work. Not my problem, not my fault
-Stop for school buses when the flag is out. Always!
-On the roads, pissing matches usually end up with dead or hurt people.
-Go ahead and put camera speed traps on the road. We all know the rules and the consequences for breaking them.

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#33]
If you are from Texas or Oklahoma or if you are a farmer the turn signals and 90% of all other traffic rules do not apply.  And yes that includes driving on the wrong side of the road while looking at other people crops.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
So many opinions...lol. It all boils down to this: If you're slower, move the fuck over. Repeat after me: If you're slower, move the fuck over. End of all discussions.

Hear me. I speak the truth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
So many opinions...lol. It all boils down to this: If you're slower, move the fuck over. Repeat after me: If you're slower, move the fuck over. End of all discussions.

Hear me. I speak the truth.
View Quote

The only time I ever moved over for fear of my life was on I25 south of Raton. I was minding my own business, again, about 10 over in the fast lane (about 80 mph), passing a few people when I look in my mirror and this yellow Lambourghini (sp?) is screaming down my ass. He had to hit his breaks as I still couldn't get over fast enough. About 30 seconds later, a red one flew past me like I was standing freakin still, at I estimated about 130 or 140, trying to catch his buddy. Awesome site.

So, unless you are in that Lam, piss off!

(no real flame intended ;))

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#37]
One thing I see every now and then that really bugs me is when I am sitting at a stop sign on a small road intersecting with a large road. There are enough obstructions that you have to get up pretty close to see oncoming traffic, and traffic is pretty heavy. So while sitting there waiting for an opening, some idiot behind me who CANNOT SEE ONCOMING TRAFFIC is honking at me to go!

There are also a few people out there who need to slow down/calm down a little. Going 20 above the limit on a freeway isn't really a problem, but talking corners way too fast, running red lights, and speeding around city streets is. How much faster will you get to work if you're killed in a car crash?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:03:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Instead of playing games just show some common courtesy and move the f**ck over and let those of us that want to speed go by.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ITS CALLED A TURN SIGNAL, LEARN TO USE IT, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

ALSO, Learn to TURN IT OFF when you're done with your turn!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't think you people even KNOW what you are complaining about....  Try driving in Seattle. There is no such thing as a "passing lane" here. Even worse, people get in the carpool lane and go slower than the speed limit. Everyone here complains about the transportation system, and traffic jams, but they drive like morons.

They have "yield" a little mixed up too. They seem to think that the person on the freeway is supposed to almost stop to let people merge on from the on-ramps. I was with a friend of mine and we actually got pulled over for "failing to yield the right of way." Guess we shouldn't have been "bullying" that SUV with the VW beetle. lol. I have never seen anyone pulled over for "impeding the flow of traffic." I truly believe if they would start enforcing this, traffic would be MUCH better.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend anyone from Detroit, NY, NJ, or most big cities drive while in Seattle. It wouldn't be good for your blood pressure ;)
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This will only work if your car is both faster and has better brakes than mine because I live to pass an I WILL get in front and then I will do a demonstration of what 4 wheel disks on a 2500 lb. car can do. I never get in the way of ANYONE going faster than me. That is courtesy. If you want to start a wreckless driving game by brake checking people you are taking your LIFE into your own hands. People die because of this S#IT. So quit being a jacka$$, and get you and your POS out of the way.
View Quote

Give me your demonstration, and I'll give you a demonstration of what a 6,000lb pickup does to a 2500lb car. If you're tailgating the guy and he pulls out to form a rolling roadblock, you have nothing to bitch about - you didn't [b]have[/b] to tailgate him. Do the same speed 2 seconds behind him and pass when it's clear, rather than riding right up on his ass.

Now, as far as getting out of the way of people going faster than you, I agree - it is courtesy. Very few things irritate me more than someone doing 5 over the limit in the passing lane and making me slow down from my 10-15 over. If someone is coming up behind you, then you either speed up to their speed or get the hell back into the right lane ASAP, slow down to that lane's speed, and pull back out into the passing lane when it's clear.

Brake checking? If someone's tailgating me, he gets [b]one[/b] warning tap of the brake pedal, then I will [b]lock them up[/b] as soon as I see his goofy ass daydreaming or distracted in my rearview mirror. The aforementioned 6,000lb pickup will still drive home after the accident report's been filled out, and I can always use some extra money from his insurance company.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

'''Unable to do the speed limit AND will [u]slow down[/u] because a cop has someone pulled over....
View Quote

I've been driving for over 22 years, I too change lanes away from a car on the side of the road.  I'm refering to the rolling road blocks that are created because some people are affraid of getting pulled over because they see a leo.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've been driving for over 22 years, I too change lanes away from a car on the side of the road.  
View Quote

You have to, because most people who pull off the road for something don't go all the way onto the shoulder, and then they just throw the door open without even looking to see if there's a car coming.

Something else that really gets me [pissed] is the assholes who cross the yellow line to go around someone who's making a right turn in front of them.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:14:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Give me your demonstration, and I'll give you a demonstration of what a 6,000lb pickup does to a 2500lb car. If you're tailgating the guy and he pulls out to form a rolling roadblock, you have nothing to bitch about - you didn't [b]have[/b] to tailgate him. Do the same speed 2 seconds behind him and pass when it's clear, rather than riding right up on his ass.

Now, as far as getting out of the way of people going faster than you, I agree - it is courtesy. Very few things irritate me more than someone doing 5 over the limit in the passing lane and making me slow down from my 10-15 over. If someone is coming up behind you, then you either speed up to their speed or get the hell back into the right lane ASAP, slow down to that lane's speed, and pull back out into the passing lane when it's clear.

Brake checking? If someone's tailgating me, he gets [b]one[/b] warning tap of the brake pedal, then I will [b]lock them up[/b] as soon as I see his goofy ass daydreaming or distracted in my rearview mirror. The aforementioned 6,000lb pickup will still drive home after the accident report's been filled out, and I can always use some extra money from his insurance company.
View Quote

That is kinda funny. Last december a chevy 1 ton dually pickup came througha  yield sign and side swiped the 2400lb saturn I was driving. it broke his tie rod end, he lost control and hit a pole causing over 14,000 worth of damage to the truck. I drove away. (no one was hurt in either car) Just remember $hit happens in an accident and brake checking is stupid. The saturn wasn't worth much and the insurance company totaled it and now I drive something much faster. I never get tailgated. Because I get out of the way. If someone wants by, I have pulled off the road and let them by. If they wan't to go faster then they can catch all the cops. If everyone just showed everyone else the same respect they wanted then no one would have a problem.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The speed limit should be 130mph(just to be nice to Jap car drivers that can't make 150mph)
View Quote
Well, my Jap car will do 150+, so there.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Unable to do the speed limit AND will slow down because a cop has someone pulled over.
View Quote

Locally the city of Arlinton has caused that proplem. They now work in teams. One guy rights the ticket as the other keeps a look out for the people that dont slow down cuase" the cop is busy"..

what damn highway is that??  FAA exit, then the exit to 360 are  on that highway for the local guys here...
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm 10 or so miles over in the fast lane, stay off my ass or pass on the left. I can do friggin 55 here, iffin I want
-legrue
View Quote
This is what other folks are referring to when they talk about 'common courtesy'.  Apparently, that is too much to ask of you.

Do you see the signs that say 'Slower traffic keep right' or 'Keep right except to pass'?  This means you!  The left lane is for passing, not cruising along with your attitude and your head up your ass.  No matter how fast or slow I am going, I do not get in the left lane unless I am passing.  Besides, you are noticed less by the cops if you stay out of the left lane.  I was passing a guy one day on the right, because he wouldn't get out of the way, the cop hit both with radar and assumed he was the speeder, being in the left lane, and nailed the left lane creeper.

Besides, legrue, if you are in the left lane, how the hell are they going to pass on the left??????  Also, there aren't many places where the speed limit is 55 on an expressway, except in the city.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm 10 or so miles over in the fast lane, stay off my ass or pass on the left. I can do friggin 55 here, iffin I want
-legrue
View Quote
This is what other folks are referring to when they talk about 'common courtesy'.  Apparently, that is too much to ask of you.

Do you see the signs that say 'Slower traffic keep right' or 'Keep right except to pass'?  This means you!  The left lane is for passing, not cruising along with your attitude and your head up your ass.  No matter how fast or slow I am going, I do not get in the left lane unless I am passing.  Besides, you are noticed less by the cops if you stay out of the left lane.  I was passing a guy one day on the right, because he wouldn't get out of the way, the cop hit both with radar and assumed he was the speeder, being in the left lane, and nailed the left lane creeper.

Besides, legrue, if you are in the left lane, how the hell are they going to pass on the left??????  Also, there aren't many places where the speed limit is 55 on an expressway, except in the city.
View Quote

You did catch me. I meant right lane.

And you are right, 55 in the city, which is where I drive most of the time. All lanes are in use.

And as I remember the speed limit laws, the posted limit is all lanes. "Slower Traffic" means slower than the max speed limit, not slower than every wannabe NASCAR driver. When the sign says "Keep Right Except to Pass", I follow that; but also not applicable in this case.

And I do extend common courtesy. If I come up on someone doing 55 in the left lane, I don't blow up. He is legal. If I don't like it, then I pass on the right when I can safely do it.

Last point: I like my attitude, thanks. I think my personal driving rules are as reasonable as you think yours are. I keep my head up my ass because I catch cold easily. What's your excuse, hotshot?
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
You did catch me. I meant right lane.

And you are right, 55 in the city, which is where I drive most of the time. All lanes are in use.

And as I remember the speed limit laws, the posted limit is all lanes. "Slower Traffic" means slower than the max speed limit, not slower than every wannabe NASCAR driver. When the sign says "Keep Right Except to Pass", I follow that; but also not applicable in this case.

And I do extend common courtesy. If I come up on someone doing 55 in the left lane, I don't blow up. He is legal. If I don't like it, then I pass on the right when I can safely do it.

Last point: I like my attitude, thanks. I think my personal driving rules are as reasonable as you think yours are. I keep my head up my ass because I catch cold easily. What's your excuse, hotshot?
View Quote
First, 'Slower traffic keep right' DOES NOT have anything to do with the speed limit.  Ask any cop.  He will tell you that it is not your job to enforce the speed limit.  And, NASCAR sucks, I have a competition license with a sports car sanctioning body, so there.

Common courtesy does not only refer to how you treat slower traffic, it also relates to how you react to faster traffic, and your post indicates that you do not extend common courtesy to faster drivers.  It is also illegal in most states to pass on the right.

Of course, you like your attitude.  Common courtesy is not in your makeup, so you see nothing wrong with your attitude.  My personal driving rules do not interfere with others, as do yours.  I do not get out in the left lane unless I am passing and I get back over ASAP.  If I am running 80 and someone else wants to run 90, more power to them.  Let them be the rabbit.  I will speed up to get out of a faster drivers way.  As for your head up your ass, I occasionally stick my head up my ass to make sure you are not kissing it.

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#50]
>>>In the 'passing lane' and on a friggin cellphone, usually not doing the speed limit, thus, blocking traffic<<<

I see this all the time:
Mostly tourists on I 40 going to and from Vegas/Grand Canyon.

Occationaly, you get the person who insists it is his job to ensure that everyone edheres to the speed limit no matter what, or just decides to piss all the other driver's off.

That's the guy who usually see this [img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/flashing_lightbar.gif[/img] in his rear view mirror:

Press hard sir; Your going thru 4 copies.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top