Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 2:27:12 AM EDT
I think I spelled it right, I didnt write it down before I deleted it.
The last 2 nites at about 2 am my time I got a email from different and unknow users that made my virus scanner go off like a 3 alarm fire when I checked my mail. It came to an address I use for reply to here and a couple other spots, was wondering if anyone else has been getting hit.
In all the years I've been surfing this is my first actual bonna fide virus hit. Two nites in a row from the same virus but different sources make me wonder.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I have been getting virus hits on my AR15 account for weeks; three in the last two days.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I got two weird E-mails I didn't open from this site that I figured were virus
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I get about 1 / day on my main account (not my AR15 account)  very strange.. Thank God for Norton!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Klez and its variants are a particularly nasty bug because once you are infected, they force most anti-virus apps to stop opening and running. Also, they force task manager to close when you open it to kill the virus process.

I had to rename the task manager .exe file on a workstation at the office to even start the cleaning process. Why do some people attain management level? Their genes should be eliminated from the planet.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd been pretty safe.

Until last night.

Then I got bombarded with 2 e-mails with infected attachments.

Personally, I think that punishment for writing a computer virus that makes it to "the wild" should be punishable by wrapping the moron up in lightly padded clothing, tying him upside down by his pinky toes, and then lining up everyone who ever received a copy of it to hit him with a baseball bat one time for each infected file/e-mail they received.

Of course, network and system admins would get one additional hit for every time that one of their (l)users asked a stupid question about the virus or became re-infected 15 minutes after the system was cleaned.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Yea...I've been getting hits about two per day recently.  I first got it about ten days ago and my aged version of McAfee failed to detect the damn thing so I was infected.  I had to follow a detailed procedure in DOS (Horrors!) to erase the evil bastard.
I then went out and purchased Norton Anti-Virus.  Since then Norton has been real busy.
I think that some of the virus hits may be coming from here.
Klez is bad bug.  Some versions contain a time bomb that will destroy lots of data on your hard drive when activated.
I'd like to see these little anarchist pricks that create these things do some serious hard time.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top