Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 3:25:09 PM EDT
great weather, pulled some "bows" from june and grant lakes. My friend has a cabin in reverse creek sweet! And vons in mammoth sells shotgun news, never saw that in any other. Anyone else went up to the eastern sierras for mem. day?
Does anyone know if there is a range in that area?
BALOO.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I was out exploring around there. I went over sherman pass down south--it's very out of the way, doesn't show up on some maps. It goes from the Kern River canyon up to 9,200 ft before dropping down to Hwy 395.

Came back over Tioga pass in Yosemite. Still a lot of snow up there. Beautiful area.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
mcgredo,

I used to drive that all the time, and I remember when it was still the Sherman Jeep Trail before they paved it.  It was a really challenging trail backl then, and there was one little hill that was realyl tough to climb.  I remember my dad having to tow lesser vehicles (like CJ5s) up it when they couldn't make it on their own.

I'm going back home around the end of July for a wedding and am planning on making the trip over Sherman pass for old times sake.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#3]
There is an unofficial shooting area in Mammoth Lakes on the other side of 395.  You pass under the hiway and take a left that runs parallel to the hiway for a few hundred yards then heads into woods and up the hill.  It's about a mile up the road, not much but has a good backdrop.

There is also a very nice range in Bishop, just at the outskirts of town.  I'm told they will let you join if a member sponsors you, it's only $10 bucks or so and you get a key.  Also, pretty much anywhere against the backdrop of the White Mts and it's many canyons to the west of Bishop there are areas that are traditional shooting areas.

[url]www.trapshooters.com/bishopgunclub/[/url]

[url]www.jmallard.com/images/bpsmap.gif[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks nightstalker.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
lived there 76'-77'. Did a lot of drinking at the Tiger Bar. Is it still there?
We cut a ski run on June Mt. Hauled it down the mountain to just above the parking lot, split it and sold it in Mammoth. We stocked all the condos that summer. Did over 400 cord that season.
Is the big rock there still at Oh! Ridge?

Head east through Benton and find Adobe Reservoir. We would go there early or late in the day. The dam broke back in the 50's so it is a small body of water now, but holds natural browns. Rooster tails was always best.
Also the small lake in town "Gull"? lake, holds big fish.
As far as shooting goes, just cross 395 you can almost shoot anywhere. Unless its all changed now. Head south and go to Glass Mt. Fish Glass Creek-browns, its a cool place.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:37:38 PM EDT
[#6]

you meant the June Lake Loop ? Mamoth Lakes ? for 15 years i took the family & hunting partners up that area, we fished every stream or lake from Lone Pine to Lee Vining, Hetch Hetchy Res.,Lake Crowley, done most of our camping at Convict Lake, Lundy Lake, the wilderness area across Saddlebag Lake was the best for Goldens, the store where you get your wilderness area permit had a photo of me wyth a 2lb.2 oz. Golden that i caught on a dry fly in Shamrock Lake.............

that is the ONLY thyng i miss about Commiefornia......!!!!!![:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
nightstalker,
if i am thynking about the same area you described, there is a lot of Obsidian, this mat have been a freak happening, but i started a small fire back there, cir.1970's, a hunting partner fell & landed on his .270 Win., so we drove back off the East side of 395 about two miles when we found an open area, i set up a gallon can that someone left, fired several rounds & the rifle was still sighted in..., one of the bullets hit the Obsidian covered back drop just right & we had about a 200sqft area of fire to put out by the tyme we got water, shovel & blankets......, soooooo beee careful shooting in dry timber !!!

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I drove by the Bishop Gun Club's range today.
It's well kept and set up nice.
It'd sure be nice to have a facility to use like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top