Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Microsoft wanted to hijack the Java language specification, like they do everything else, to support COM technology, which would kill the cross-platform functionality of the language. It wasn't enough that Java already had a native methods API, so the language could call WIN32 DLLs, Mr. Bill wanted to integrate COM and crap like that. This is why the "Pure Java" initiative was introduced.
View Quote
Yes, I agree that j++ was becoming something that no longer was java, as specified by Sun.  So if sun felt that the java name was being soiled, then they certainly had the right to stop what microsoft was doing.  But j++ did have a usefulness of its own, and now C# does.  It is java with a few things added that microsoft thought developers would want.
And why is MS now refusing to include a Java VM in Windows XP? Could it be sour grapes?
View Quote
I didn't pay much attention to this aspect, but I thought MS was not allowed to do so.
The fact is MS is not a company we should be proud of. They have their own agenda
View Quote
MS is run by jerks who want more money.  That's pretty much the definition of a CEO.  It is the same for oracle and sun and everyone else.  I use whichever product is best, even if I hate who made it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
At the risk of swimming against the tide of Gatesians, I would recommend Borland Delphi.  It is an incredibly versitile development tool, combining the power of C++ with the ease-of-use of Visual Basic.  The backbone language of Delphi is Pascal, which is fairly easy to learn.  I have been using Delphi for six years and I have yet to find anything better.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Zonan, there's a real good book called "COM and DCOM" by Roger Sessions that makes a good argument for including COM in the Java language, but once MS lost the law suit, the point of the book was kind of moot. But now that C# is here, it may have meaning again.

I use whatever the customer specifies too (I have to), which of late, has been whatever I want to use. So I choose Borland C++ Builder as often as I'm allowed.

They want C++, but when I tell them it will take so many additional hours to use VC++/MFC because MFC is such as low-level framework (as well as a hack), they almost always take my suggestion and go with Builder.

Delphi is good too, but if they want C++, Builder is the way to go. Plus I can entice them with a mostly painless port to Linux in the future, and that usually seals the deal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
And why is MS now refusing to include a Java VM in Windows XP? Could it be sour grapes?
View Quote
I didn't pay much attention to this aspect, but I thought MS was not allowed to do so.
View Quote

No, Microsoft was the one who consciously chose to stop shipping VM after Sun continued their proactive assistance with the Justice Department anti-trust investigation.

Uncle Bill told Scott Mc to take a flying leap.

Since Uncle Bill controlls 80% of all PC desktops, forcing someone to download JVM (what is now a 40 megabyte install package) was definately a blow to Sun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top