Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2002 9:23:36 AM EDT
[size=4]Better Dead than Rude[/size=4]
[b]A clear national conscience.[/b]

On a break from packing my bag to fly off to the West Coast on one of those large planes loaded up to the gills with jet fuel — the kind that has so much appeal to enterprising suicide terrorists — I do my daily round-up of news items. Let's see, whaddawe got.

"There will be another terrorist attack. We will not be able to stop it," FBI Director Mueller told the National Association of District Attorneys meeting in suburban Alexandria, Va. "It's something we all live with."

Sen. Bob Graham, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, speaking amid new warnings of attacks on the United States, confirmed reports that about two dozen "extremists" had recently entered America hidden in container ships and were now on the loose.

Vice President Dick Cheney told Meet the Press: "In my opinion the prospects of a future attack on the United States are almost certain."

Of course, the director of the FBI, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee and the VPOTUS could all be blowing smoke. I am going to predicate my column on the proposition that this is not the case, and that these three gentlemen very likely know what they are talking about.

Back in early October last year, a blond female columnist whose name is an anagram of "CLEAN OUT NR" wrote a piece for Human Events under the title: "Future Widows of America: Write Your U.S. Congressman." The lady, who has considerable expertise in constitutional law, argued that: [b]"Congress has authority to pass a law tomorrow asking aliens from suspect countries to leave."[/b] She further argued that it ought to do so, and that "When the Sears Tower is attacked ... or Disneyland nuked, remember: Congress could have stopped it, but didn't."

Watching Dick Cheney on Meet the Press last Sunday, I found myself unable to doubt that the administration has done all it feels it can do to prevent another attack on us. Cheney has that effect on me. He makes me feel that if I have thought of something, he's probably thought of it first. So let's take that as a premise, too: the administration, including the most thoughtful, intelligent, and well-informed among them, honestly feel they have done all they can to prevent us losing a plane, an office tower, a theme park, a city.

The problem is, of course, that anyone can come up with perfectly lawful things the authorities might do to vastly improve the nation's security. They might, for example, follow AUNT CLONER's advice and politely ask all visitors from an obvious list of nations to leave. Nothing wrong with that: We are not, as a nation, under any moral, ethical, legal, or constitutional obligation to play host to visitors from other countries. Or our government might deploy the military on the borders, as they are entitled to (U.S. Constitution, Article I, Section 8). Or they might offer a bounty to any citizen who reports a visitor overstaying his visa, or who files a report leading to a terrorism-related conviction. There are all sorts of things they might do.

- continued -
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
On the premises stated above — that the administration is not composed of liars or fools — it can only be the case that they do not do any of these things because they believe them to be politically impossible. They believe, in other words, that the American people would not stand for seeing (to take one example) Saudi visitors and students being asked to leave. Or, at a minimum, they believe that such actions, if initiated, could be spun by skillful operators to the great political disadvantage of the administration.

That last one is not necessarily a base or self-serving point of view. Bush and Cheney probably believe that their war on terror would be vitiated by major domestic controversies, and they don't want those kinds of distractions. The fact remains: They believe that any strong measures — let me emphasize that I am talking here about things that are perfectly and obviously constitutional, and could easily be solidified into laws by act of Congress — are politically impossible.

And I am sure they are right. Actions that our government might take, and laws that our representatives might pass, none of them obviously unconstitutional or inhumane, are just not politically possible. Cheney and Co. believe they have done everything that they can, in all political possibility, do, and I think their belief is correct. And: "There will be another terrorist attack" (Mueller). And: Two dozen extremists are on the loose (Graham). And: "The prospects of a future attack on the United States are almost certain" (Cheney).

[b]The state we have sunk to, after 30 years of political correctness, is that we would rather permit ourselves and our fellow citizens to be slaughtered by lunatics than run the risk that we might hurt the feelings of foreign guests.[/b] Our dogged belief that every culture is just as worthy and admirable as every other will admit of no exceptions; it even extends to those cultures where children are raised from infancy to hate Jews and the Great Satan. Said LONE CAR NUT last October: "Ordinary Americans aren't going to die for political correctness." Oh, yes we are, Ma'am — gladly, willingly! We far prefer an agonizing death to the possibility we might give offense to the differently religioned. Here in what my colleague Florence King calls "The Republic of Nice" we have reached the reductio ad absurdum of racial sensitivity: Better dead than rude.

I wrote a piece a few days ago arguing that the U.S. will not go to war against Iraq. A lot of people e-mailed in with variants of: "You're right. It's going to take another 9/11 before we get serious." That is a horrible thought, and a horrible thing to say, but an awful lot of people are thinking and saying it. Perhaps it's true. Perhaps it even falls short of the truth: perhaps it will take a whole string of these horrors to wake us from our poisonous fantasies of infinite tolerance and cultural relativism. Or perhaps nothing will.

And so, as I go back to packing my bag (clean underwear, dental floss, cell phone), I wonder if it will be my plane next, or my wife's mall, or my kids' school. Well, if it's my turn, thank God that I can at least die with a clear conscience: [b]I never profiled anybody.[/b]

by John Derbyshire, NationalReviewOnline

[url]http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire052402.asp[/url]

Eric The(Well?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I'd say he has it about right.

The nation as a whole just cannot fathom the concept that some things are necessary, even if those actions offend someone. Heaven forbid we offend someone. OH THE HORROR!!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, I have to completely agree with the article.  

I would also like to point out how woefully inadequate our military intelligence and technology is for waging the battle against terrorism.  It amounts to one more thing we can thank the Klinton administration for taking care of for us.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally liked the author's use of the Ann Coulter anagrams throughout his article![:D]

But, other than that, it is truly sad that the deaths of so many Americans (2,800+) are basically in vain, since we learned nothing from Sept 11th at all!

Oh, yes, with the exception that we did learn that Islam is the religion of Peace!

Eric The(Hell,IAlmostForgotTheMostImportantLesson!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry...yep ya knew it would be me...I disagre with the proposal stated in the article. I will give you an example....why don't I get drunk and rowdy when I am in Mexico? I am scared of being in a mexican jail. No one is scared of the US anymore...."our first priority is to get Osama"..oh yeah? People in asia are still laughing at our feeble attempts of nation building under the guise of "fighting terrorism"
Let's be truthful..the shows over go home and pack. It took the US a year to find body, how long will it take to find Osama. I would bring to your memory a former President---kennedy and the cuban missile crisis...that's how to handle a situation
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#7]
But, [b]hound[/b], I thought [u]that[/u] was what John Derbyshire was saying, that the US lacked the will to do what is necessary to exterminate the vermin or prevent another tragedy!
I would bring to your memory a former President---kennedy and the cuban missile crisis...that's how to handle a situation
View Quote

Kennedy stumbled stupidly into the Cuban Missile Crisis, stumbled during the crisis, and then bascially lied to Congress and the American people on the outcome of the crisis!

How is [u]that[/u] how to handle a crisis?

Eric The(DarkSideOfCamelot)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1962kennedy-cuba.html[/url]

Eric, while I was too young to remember this, I would rather have the speech coming from the white house than what comes out now. I think we can put Bush's name in your statement and also be correct.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Bush 'stumbled stupidly into' Sept 11th? Bush stumbled during the crisis, and lied to Congress and the American people?

Forget Kennedy! These allegations are more interesting, fill me in!

Eric The(Homespun)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#10]
How can we change this?

What do Americans have to do to make changes?

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:34:15 AM EDT
[#11]
The contention of a guy who just wrote a book on "The Secret History of the FBI" is that Louis Freeh operated it as a political post.  No profiling and plenty of minority hiring when Clinton was in and then criticism of Clinton when he was out.  All things to all people.  Didn't have a computer or skills to use it.   According to the book he fostered an atmosphere where candid criticism was not welcome.

Political correctness is the weakness.  I'm not trying to blame Louis Freeh or anyone in particular.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Just read that 'October Missile Crisis' speech that Kennedy delivered to the American People back in those days.

I remember listening to it with my family.

Little did we know the extent to which young and beloved (now!) President lied to us in that speech!

In the first paragraph alone, he lied like a dog!

We knew about the missiles for at least two weeks prior to his coming forth on television.

And rather than taking the more cautious approach of allowing the Soviets to save face and retreat with their missiles, Kennedy insisted in putting them on the spot!

He risked nuclear war for what?

So he wouldn't be defeated in the election of 1964, he simply could not appear to be 'soft on communism'!

Especially after the stink he made in the 1960 Election about the alleged 'missile gap.'

What a jerk! A martyred jerk, but a jerk nevertheless!

Eric The(AskMeAboutBobbyKennedy!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Solution;

NUKE THE MIDDLE EAST(except Isreal)

They will never fuck with the bull again.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Post from satcong -
How can we change this?  What do Americans have to do to make changes?
View Quote

Obviously, we have to do more than see that the proper folks are elected to the Nation's highest offices.

That alone does not appear to have solved the problem!

Bush feels, as the articles says, that his hands are pretty much tied by politics and that he and his administration are doing all that is 'politically possible'!

We need more of a margin in the House and to take back the Senate.

I think the American People are ready!

Eric The(Course,IThoughtTheAmericanPeopleWouldThoroughlyRejectGoreIn2000,Too!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Its merely a matter of a sufficient body count.

3K was not enuf for the Liberal bedwetters. NOT to risk being offensive to prospective terrorists, and make them establish the validity of their business here.

It WAS enuf of a body count for hundreds of thousands of soccer moms to go out and buy a gun. But NOT enuf to risk offending people. Heaven forbid someone should dredge up the "ugly American" or "imperialist" charges against America, and Liberals experience their self-imposed pang of conscience for America historically putting its intersts first when determining its own policy.

I suspect the liberal bedwetters will abandon their twisted sense of "morality" when a dirty nuke forms a mushroom cloud over Boston, or a tactical nuke makes St. Louis glow flourescent green.

ya see, Liberal bedwetters FEEL, they don't think. And if there is something they FEEL worse about than guns or offending people, its nukes.

FEELings and FEAR drive the vacuous mind of the Liberal. And I suspect they'll GLADLY "profile" people when they understand that nukes are the next trick in the terrorist bag. THAT will ONLY happen AFTER the fact.

'Course I could be wrong. One of the things I pride myself on is NOT being able to understand Liberals.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Eric The(AskMeAboutBobbyKennedy!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

What about Bobby?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:07:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Its merely a matter of a sufficient body count.

3K was not enuf for the Liberal bedwetters. NOT to risk being offensive to prospective terrorists, and make them establish the validity of their business here.

It WAS enuf of a body count for hundreds of thousands of soccer moms to go out and buy a gun. But NOT enuf to risk offending people. Heaven forbid someone should dredge up the "ugly American" or "imperialist" charges against America, and Liberals experience their self-imposed pang of conscience for America historically putting its intersts first when determining its own policy.

I suspect the liberal bedwetters will abandon their twisted sense of "morality" when a dirty nuke forms a mushroom cloud over Boston, or a tactical nuke makes St. Louis glow flourescent green.

ya see, Liberal bedwetters FEEL, they don't think. And if there is something they FEEL worse about than guns or offending people, its nukes.

FEELings and FEAR drive the vacuous mind of the Liberal. And I suspect they'll GLADLY "profile" people when they understand that nukes are the next trick in the terrorist bag. THAT will ONLY happen AFTER the fact.

'Course I could be wrong. One of the things I pride myself on is NOT being able to understand Liberals.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Post from spraynpray -
What about Bobby?
View Quote

I don't have a particularly high opinion of Bobby either! Remember the two B-26 bombers used by the Alabama Air National Guard were assisting in the Bay of Pigs invasion in 1962, and the pilots suddenly got orders to the effect that there would be [u]no[/u] second strike authorized in support of the invasion forces.

The four Alabama Air National Guardsmen pilots realized that the men on the beaches were in for a world of hurt unless they were given air support.

So the two B-26s took off, against orders, and delivered their bombs against Castro's forces and then strafed them with machinegun fire, until they were both shot down.

When Bobby Kennedy got the news that the two planes had been shot down over Cuba, he ran to his brother's office and screamed [b]'Those god-damned bastards better be DEAD!'[/b] meaning the four American servicemen who were there on the orders of the President.

These four men left behind four wives and some dozen children, and the Kennedy Administration tried to deny the widows and orphans claim for benefits until Jack's dying day!!!!!!

Some bastids, those Kennedys, huh?

Eric The(That'sJustForStarters,ButWeNeedANewThread!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:11:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok Eric....forget about Kennedy, but one thing before moving on....there was no body count. Now for allegations, here is a place to start-[url]http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/042202_bushknows.html[/url]

And it is nice to see evry one in this article admitting that, with the largest budget on earth, they can't do anything with it.
Why don't you and me try.
step one..Any terrorists taking actions against the US will be tried and executed
step two..any country supporting them will be cut off from US money and possible military action will start.
step three..any persons from countries supporting terrorist will be cut off from all
Us funded aid programs--including people living here
step four..no more mister nice guy in the middle east...you want to fight Israel...go ahead..we will be shipping them arms and no more calls to Israel for restraint
step four...anyone making speeches against the US will be taken as hostile and taken care of...no more desert storms.

edited cause I kant spel and to add not to Hunny
I will bring the non functional pistol with me to the gun show...can I buy the real eric lunch?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#20]
[b]hound[/b], I agree with your proposals 110%!

See, I'm not such a horrific Hun to deal with, am I? [:D]

I can't add much to what you've already said.

It just needs to be done!

Eric The(InThatOrder,IMightAdd)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I forgot one other important point re: Liberals.

Remember what the terrorists targets were -

The WTC - the essence and symbol of capitalism.

The pentagon - the essence and symbol of Americas military might.

The Liberals have been rhetorically terrorizing capitalism and Americas military might for some thirty years.

Dare I say it -

Liberals have a grain of admiration for the terrorists - in that they simply put into action retailiation against icons Liberals have hated for years (Ouch.)

Now have a terrorist drive a Boeing 747 into a black church in Arkansas, or an abortion clinic in Des Moines where Liberals can blame conservatives for conservatives ALLOWING hyterically screaming Liberals to reduce military and law enforcment budgets, and they'll profile people all to Hades, if they think it'll give them a political advantage.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Is it me, or do you have TWO "Step Four's" hound???

[}:D] [BD]

As an accountant, these little things throw my world ALL in a tizzy.

[stick][whacko]

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Gman It tokk me two edits to get most of the words spelled correctly...new keyboard.
I am leaving the last sentence as I typed it so that you can see what I mean.
I think we should have just two steps
1.kill them all
2.repeat
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Liberals are indeed a nasty bunch, [b]garandman[/b]!

Too bad there's not some sort of 'marker' gene that determines whether a person will have mush for brains and be a liberal, or normal and be a conservative!

It just might make abortion palatable for some of us! [:D]

I would just say sterilize the parents, but some liberal parents have raised quite a few conservatives, and [i][b]vice versa[/b][/i]!

So, apparently, it may not be in the genes!

Eric The(PlannedConservativeParenthood)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Gman It tokk me two edits to get most of the words spelled correctly...new keyboard.
I am leaving the last sentence as I typed it so that you can see what I mean.
I think we should have just two steps
1.kill them all
2.repeat
View Quote

Or in programmers language....

Line 10 Kill 'em all
Line 20 Go to Line 10

[}:D]

(merely presented for educational purposes)

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I whole-heartedly agree that LIBERALISM is enabling the terrorists to continue planning their attacks on our soil.

We've hamstrung ourselves by the liberal, baby-boomer, stuck-in-the-sixties, radicals who've browbeaten and brainwashed enough sheeple into blindly accepting their lies about "diversity", "tolerance", and "sensitivity" towards ferriners.

As long as any actions we take to defend ourselves have to pass inspection with the left-wing America-haters, we will NEVER be able to defend ourselves.

At the expense of non-US citizen's "sensitivities", the lives thousands (or millions) of REAL American citizens will be lost.

So how SHOULD we act to defend ourselves? (Oh, to be King for a day!)

[u]Domestically[/u]:
* Round up and deport all non-citizen MidEasterners.
* Round up and deport all illegal aliens.
* Close US borders to all non-US-citizen passers
* Stop ALL immigration for 1 year.
* Open ANWR for oil drilling.
* Go into Gulf of Mexico for oil drilling.
* BECOME ENERGY INDEPENDANT.

[u]Internationally[/u]:
* Abandon the UN
* Support Israel's annihilation of Palestinian terrorists wherever they are.
* Help destroy the regimes of Iran, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Lebanon and Sudan and ALL subsequent regimes, one-after-another, until they finally put in a civilized group of leaders willing to live in the 21st Century along side Western Civilization rather than a group of medieval, oppressive, warlord thugs hellbent on destroying all us "infidels".
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Guys,

Let me chime in here as well.  As a Native New Yorker I can personally attest to the mindset that Mr. Derbyshire is decribing.  Although there may be many good folks in NY State there are also millions of lazy, cowardly and ignorant scumbags who live here.  They still haven't woken up yet after 9-11.  I hope the next attack has the NYC, particularly the New York Times, as the new ground zero!

One other thing about the taxpayers bailing out NY City to the tune of countless billions thanks to President Bush. These low life degenerates
will repay his generosity and kindness by voting for the next commie Democrap!  They deserve to be nuked for being so ignorant and morally depraved!

Bombs away.

John
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, I've heard enough, [b]The_Macallan[/b] gets my vote for Prez, next time around!

And [b]jjforsyth[/b] to replace either Schumer or Clinton (they're both the same) in the Senate, representing New York!

OK, on to the next slate of candidates.

Eric The(ThatWasEasy,Now,Wasn'tIt?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Can I be director of the IRS?.....shortest federal job term in history..."Gentlemen, it is now 5:01 pm and the IRS has closed for the last time."
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I am not ready to nuke or deport [b]all[/b] of them yet..., but I have rethought my position on the internment of the Japanese during WWII.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am not ready to nuke or deport [b]all[/b] of them yet...
View Quote

Deport them all...

...it's for the children.
(AMERICAN children that is)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top