User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Property rights, right?  You are not compelled to work at an anti-gun business.

On the other hand, workplaces are compelled to provide for the safety of their employees and customers.

ETA –– Late as ever.
And if the workplace clearly posts that they are a "Gun Free Zone" anyone with any common sense should be able to recognize the risk associated with being there.  I clearly recognize that the chances of getting snake bitten are greater if I work at a rattlesnake ranch than in a data center.

Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Works for me. If you don't want guns on your property then you had better protect me from people with them while I'm there. If you fail to do so, your property will be MY property. Rights AND responsibilities, that's how it's supposed to work.

Just hypothetically speaking, unless you are compelled to go somewhere, like being subpoenaed, why should the property owner incur any liability? If I put a big "No Goddamn Guns!" over the door of the Bucket of Blood Bar and Grill why is it my problem? You could have decided to not enter onto the property and avoided any potential assaults on my property.  

If you remove a persons lawful ability to defend himself against such attacks without taking proper steps to prevent the attack and make sure everyone follows the policy you should be liable. Just the way I see it.

I understand and agree from a gut instinct level, but really I don't see why a property owner shouldn't be able to dictate who does or doesn't come on his property with firearms without risking a lawsuit over some third party he has no control over. I don't agree with disarming people, but if some business owner decides he doesn't want people in his muffler shop carrying guns, well it's damn muffler shop that he paid for the land and pays the payroll and everything else. If he doesn't want to serve people coffee or doesn't want anyone reading the New York Times in his waiting room or cussing or using cel phones or wearing black shoes, it's his property and he should be free to do what he wants. If you (very reasonably) decide not to do business with that guy you can easily find some other muffler shop.  

It seems grossly unfair that if some woman comes in to get her muffler replaced after seeing his big "Sorry but I hate Guns, go to Midas if you don't like it" sign and her ex con ex husband shoots her through the window from a parking lot with a scoped rifle from 200 yards away should the muffler shop owner really lose everything he as to her lawsuit against him because he did not allow guns in his muffler shop?

In that case, when the rubber actually meets the road in court, (if it got that far... unlikely, as the woman's estate/heirs/dependents would still have to find the lawyer willing to take the case on contingency) the business owner would get off. What is "normal and customary" for a business to have in terms of it's windows and structures would come into play, and if the CCW weilder could have reasonably defended herself against a scoped rifle from 200 yards. And the answer being "no".

My reading of the law is that business who post no-CCW lose the blanket immunity, but that is nowhere near saying those businesses have some sort of draconian automatic liability either. Those are two very different things.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Property rights vs Individual Right to self preservation...It's like someone divided arfcom by zero.  

It's always been my opinion that what ever is under my clothing is no-one's business but my own, and that I will ignore policy that prevents CCW.  Some poeple think that makes me a dishonorable person, but I don't give a fuck.  Most businesses and workplaces ban guns because simply because they want to appear PC and want to cover their asses from lawsuits.  If we don't stick up for concealed carry, the only legal place left to carry will be from your home to the sidewalk.  This law is a nice change, and I hope it becomes a national trend.  

Since both property and gun rights overlap, and are both are heavily infringed, so the state is going to have to come down on one side or another.  I personally prefer that hey come down on the side of gun owners.  Until the property rights crowd throws off the oppressive government shackles of:
Building codes,
Zoning laws,
Maximum occupancy ratings,
Mandatory fire suppression systems,
ADA compliant doors and wheelchair ramps,
Handicap accessible parking spaces.

lets not get too bent out of shape about the government protecting the individual right of self defense.  It's hardly the most oppressive thing the government has done.  In this case it actually favors one right over an other, as opposed to some of the other goofy laws out there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been wondering about this issue, in the odd chance that IL passes a CCW bill.

I've been considering both sides of the issue in case management should happen to even consider allowing CCW in a medical facility.

It does sound good at first, until I began to think of patients coming in for exams and check-ups while carrying. How would that work for security and safety should they need to disrobe for an exam?

How would the issue be handled of a CCW-ing patient were to experience a heart-attack on-premises, and need transport to the ER? Who would be entrusted with custody of a firearm in case of a medical emergency?

Honestly, some of the folks I see at work can't follow basic instructions written on a pill-bottle or information sheet. Let alone the 4 rules of firearm safety and manufacturer's operating instructions.....

I do wonder how a patient would react seeing a nurse, physician, or medical tech who ,in the course of their duties, accidentally allowed their firearm to become visible. I worry about the same issue with an untrained, inexperienced medical worker walking in on a patient removing their firearm for an exam.

I do like the idea of carrying at work since I work nights, especially as the pill-seekers and addicts become more brazen over time. I personally see medical facilities as a very soft-target down the road for robberies, burglaries, and hold-ups.

Anyone have any insight on how these issues play-out in other states?

ETA: Seems like the prevailing wisdom is to use state-laws and liability-shields to gently encourage allowing CCW in businesses.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
To clear something up, your property is your property, until you open it to the public.

Ever noticed that to open a business you need a licenses?  Ever notice that to obtain those licenses you need to comply with lots of safety regulations?  This is the community setting standards for places that are open to the public.  The idea is that no one has the time, or even the ability or knowledge of how to do everything.  We simplify this by creating regulations that you must follow to do certain things.

Its only natural progression that if I have the right to protect myself, and you don't want me to, that you take on that responsibility.

Basically, you better have a solution to a problem that you create.

So again, it is your position that you having a gun is providing a safe place?

What if you get killed anyway? What if 12 armed guys lay siege to the place and they kill everyone including you even if you were armed with a SAW? Sounds a little ridiculous when it progresses to the "natural progression" of what "could" happen.

Why do you keep asking if a person carrying a gun for their own defense is suddenly responsible for the security of the store?  A person carrying a gun is doing so for them and theirs.
Link Posted: 7/6/2011 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I do like the idea of carrying at work since I work nights, especially as the pill-seekers and addicts become more brazen over time. I personally see medical facilities as a very soft-target down the road for robberies, burglaries, and hold-ups.

They're already hitting pharmacies all over the country. I wouldn't work in one without a piece. A job is a job and it shouldn't be a death sentence.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top