Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 5:10:34 PM EDT
Tue May 28,10:44 AM ET Governments using war on terrorism to erode human rights: Amnesty International

[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020528/ap_wo_en_po/amnesty_human_rights_3
[/url]

I know that there are as many opinions about politics, government, freedom, and firearm ownership as there are sets of fingerprints. But, the fact is that every civilization in history has come to a violent end. But humankind itself has always survived. Those who are mentally and physically prepared for survival will be likely to make it through. Those who slough it off as paranoid drivel or even side with the contingency who wants to make totalitarian rule easier typically find themselves in much different positions than they first envisioned.

Read this article and look at what Amnesty is saying:[i] emergency anti-terrorist legislation and changes to trial and detention procedures had contributed to an atmosphere of repression and undermined universal principles of human rights.[/i]

Try as they might to topple the Constitution of the United States of America, it still stands and the principles of freedom contained in it still apply today. I recently re-read the list of greviences the continental fathers sent to King George in the Declaration of Independence. It was like reading a checklist of all the common gripes and issues you hear in everyday, modern society. The difference is, we still have a voice today. It's called VOTING. Before it ever comes to cries of "Off with the Burgeois' heads", lets hope we can exercise what few rights we have left to restore American Freedom to its previous standing.

[img]http://www.eatonlink.com/main/uploaded/FreakOnALeash/nsa-1984.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
As I recall, the "Conspiracy Laws" were to be used 'ONLY' against organized crime.............
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there anything in particular that you have against the National Security Agency or did the image appeal to you because it fit into the theme of your post?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 6:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is there anything in particular that you have against the National Security Agency or did the image appeal to you because it fit into the theme of your post?
View Quote

It's just the whole totalitarian thing. It's been predicted for generations and technology finally makes it possible. But we sit back in our slovenly, apathetic natures and let whatever comes down the path just go on and on.

It reminds me of the fall of the Roman Empire all over again.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top