User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I take a different approach to large purchases...vehicles, guns, vehicle and gun accesories. I will not pay retail for the purchase, period. I take great pride in finding what I am looking for for as little $$ as posssible. This philosphy has to do with my finances, not the well being of my local car dealer or FFL dealer. Finding AR15 accessories locally can be difficult, and when they are found prices are really high. Same with a quality car/truck. I tend to keep my personal vehicle for about 1 year, sometime more, sometimes less. I buy my car/truck at dealer auctions and pay wholesale. I drive the car/truck for a year and sell it for what I have into the vehicle or make a few $$ on the sale. Patience is the best way to buy firearms for me. Most FFL's I come across except a few don't tell me the truth, won't do transfers from out off state and have pretty outragous prices.
An FFL dealer is no different to me than the guy who repairs a car or sells golf clubs. I demand the best service possible at the best price, because there are more repair shops, golf shops and gun dealerships out there. I will not support any business just because I have an interest in what they sell, if the owner/operator doesn't act like he/she is fair and truthful my business goes elsewhere.
As for SGN, I look at it, but don't hold FFL dealer to the prices. I also don't believe that any dealer is buying firearms from an add in SGN trying to make $$. Dealers buy their new firearms from ditributors. Believing that SGN publishes "invoice pricing" is just as ignorant as a car dealer selling cars for at or below invoice. Profit is built in to prices, even sale prices or SGN prices or "$1 below invoice prices." The only person that is held accountable for my finances is me, so unless my FFL wants to kick in a few $$ for my mortgage I won't pay a premium for a bad/rude service.
View Quote

I have to agree w/ mleaky.  It's a matter of purchasing power now.  How much can I get w/ my $1.00?  The hard earned dollar [b]MUST[/b] be stretched as far as it can.  Penny pinching.... if you run a business, you understand.  When it comes to buying.... it's the same.

Do I support my local business?  Yes... after running the numbers.  As in the cost of shipping, transfer fees so on.  Sometimes the dealer price and tax (yes) is about the same as ordering and you can see the item at least.  Sometimes I can find something they can't....

Most of what I have bought is 'used' or no longer being made.

I wish everyone running a business luck.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried to find a dealeer here in Las Vegas that was fairly priced and a decent selection.  There are a few here that fit that bill.  I don't need much help when I am looking but I would like to not have to strain see prices.  Yes I look for deals and when I can buy ammo at the gunshow for 33% less I get it.  I do take SGN and I do look for bargans.  I figure that if the price in SGN is $315 they have better have gotten it at a price about 30-40% below that.  The local gunsmiths that I have checked out don't sell much in the way of guns.  

But when I see some of the prices, and they act like they are doing me a favor by just talking to me then I'm Outa there.  Like I said I don't mind a fair profit but I wont be gouged either.  If that means mail order then so be it.

When I can find the same product for $100 less then I will take my business there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here is my .02

I flat out refuse to buy a post ban Bushmaster shorty for $1100 from my "now local" FFL when I know the dealer makes money selling them for $699.
View Quote

Dealer price $669.95
S/H $20.00
2% CC charge 13.39

Total $703.35 that is how much it would cost ME to get one. Please explain how I would make money selling it for $699.00. BTW they are even more expensive if I got it from Bushmaster. Their direct dealer pricing is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I also don't believe that any dealer is buying firearms from an add in SGN trying to make $$. Dealers buy their new firearms from ditributors. Believing that SGN publishes "invoice pricing" is just as ignorant as a car dealer selling cars for at or below invoice.  
View Quote

Got news for you. My wholesale suppliers advertise MY dealer prices in SGN. As a FFL you cannot get a cheaper price. In fact when you guys call up and order guns from Keislers, etc. you are paying the exact same price I do. I simply don't have to pay a FFL to receive it for me because I paid to be a FFL.

I really do think this is the basis for the misunderstanding here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey beekeeper, we could use your experience over at...

[url]http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=31[/url]

It is our FFL forum.
View Quote

I just registered there, but when I tried to log in to the FFL Forum it said I was not authorized, and needed to submit my FFL #, but provided no instructions or means to do so.  Should I just e-mail it under the "Contact Us" link?  I'm not thrilled with that idea.  
View Quote

email Tim at [url][email protected][/url]

He will use the ATF link to verify your FFL status. The info will not be made available to anyone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#7]
If your local dealer treats you with respect, support them. If they are knowledgeable and stock a variety of firearms that interest you, support them. If their prices are affordable to you, support them.

On the other hand if you have a dealer who thinks they know everything when they really know jack-shit, BOYCOTT THEM. If they treat you like shit, BOYCOTT THEM. If they jerk you around and don't keep their word, BOYCOTT THEM. If they attempt to sell you misrepresented items, BOYCOTT THEM. If they won't order items for you, BOYCOTT THEM. If they don't mail out their FFL for a gun transfer when they have agreed to, BOYCOTT THEM.

I could go on but I think you get the point.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I live by several rules. One of which is:

[b]Nobody needs the money more than I do[/b]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Food for thought....

Why buy???Make yer own freeekin' bread!!!!!!!!  [}:D]

"Course, that ONLY applies to bread. [}:D]

re: internet / mailorder sales.....

Look at GunsAmerica. MANY FFL's have jumped in both feet and become an internet presence, NOT relying on ONLY semi-local buyers.

SOoooo...

an FFL can complain and yearn for the days of yesteryear when he had 100 loyal customers from whom he made an honest (albeit humble) living, OR he can harness the power of the internet, and get his share of the business out there that is available from 50 states.

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Considering cars go for about $40-60,000 dollars nobody NEEDS to earn 10%. Guns go for far less. Why don't you compare houses next?
View Quote

I'll take that as a no, you do not pay MSRP or 10% over dealer invoice for new cars. I find it rather ironic that you are telling us how a business that you are not involved in should be run. Isn't that what gets your knickers in a twist when we say similar things about gun dealers?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Considering cars go for about $40-60,000 dollars nobody NEEDS to earn 10%. Guns go for far less. Why don't you compare houses next?
View Quote

I'll take that as a no, you do not pay MSRP or 10% over dealer invoice for new cars. I find it rather ironic that you are telling us how a business that you are not involved in should be run. Isn't that what gets your knickers in a twist when we say similar things about gun dealers?
View Quote

Well if the truth must be told, I don't buy new cars cause I can't afford to.  But at the same time I don't whine and expect a car dealer to sell me one at "dealer price" plus a small transaction fee ($25.00 seems fair). I just buy a used car in my price range, and I'm fairly certain somebody makes money on the deal.

As far as house and cars vs. guns, my only point was given that the average gun costs about $1,000 and the average car cost 6 times that they can afford to sell for much less and still make MORE money.

But again, to answer YOUR question, NO I don't expect a  car dealer to make NO MONEY. That would make me as unreasonable as you.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#12]

But again, to answer YOUR question, NO I don't expect a  car dealer to make NO MONEY. That would make me as unreasonable as you.
View Quote

How would one make no money?  

I bought a 2000 Corvette.  I am entitled to a GM discount but no one was going to give me a break on a Corvette.  Bottom line, I paid sticker.  That is the problem with a restricted market.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supporting your local FFL is fine and dandy.  

But, for the serious addicts like me, the internet and a $10 transfer fee are the way to go.  

View Quote

Though not as active as I once was probably still I'm a 'fairly' serious addict.

I buy mostly from the internet, pay a $15.00 transfer fee and have my FFL clean and inspect each weapon I receive for another $25.00.
View Quote

Good job at least you are giving the guy a chance to serve you by the inspection and cleaning,I suspect you could clean and inspect your own weapon and it is nice of you to throw the guy the extra business.
View Quote

jrzy,
you are correct in that I could clean and inspect but my FFL is a thoroughly decent man, his business is family run, he is a Master Gunsmith (Both his father and Grandfather were Master Gunsmiths.)and his two teen-age sons both work in the business after school.

My extra $25.00 buys me a third-party inspection - as well as cleaning - that has proven beneficial a few times when the gun I bought was not the gun I received.

I should also mention that he likes to drink whiskey and chase women !  What else could one desire in an FFL ??
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Ya know, this 'topic' can apply to more then just FFL dealers.  The same 'reasoning' can apply to buying local verses internet/mail order on any thing (ie books, clothes, shoes, so on.....)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top