Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2002 2:39:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
School administrators can be a**holes, I know that firsthand. At least my school principal was nice enough this year to take a poll on whether we want to do graduation in academia gowns this year.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#3]
did you hear about the high school that wouldn't let you walk in graduation if you weren't accepted to a university or military duty, graduation seems like a bs ceramony anyways if i were to do it again i probably wouldn't go.  I am glad this guy is pissing everyone else off.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Cory Lyons said Burns “deserves whatever punishment he gets.”
View Quote

Uh .. hello he graduated, exactly what punishment can a school impose on a student who has completed the curriculum.

Besides - sounds like the school is out of line on this one, doesn't the school's charter or bylaws require them to bestow a certificate of graduation upon a student who has satisfactorily completed the assigned coursework?

“He should have done what he was told to,” Lyons said. “There’s a fine line between showing honor and showing off.”
View Quote

Oh, really?  Exactly what would this student know about Honor?

Ryan
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
He passed basic and is permitted to wear the uniform.  How the hell is that showing off?

I'd like to see these assclowns defend against reidry's excellent point:

He completed the course curriculum, the ceremony is just that, a ceremony, but that diploma is now HIS.  'Splain the legal basis for witholding it one more time?

What the hell is next, extracting a "promise" not to smoke, or, God forbid associate with firearms AFTER GRADUATION, then hang on to the diploma forever as a stick?  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
we had a few people who wanted to wear there uniforms to graduation this year but none did. the only uniforms at our school were those worn by my raider team (we were doing parking and security details) and the color guard.

we had 3 or 4 guys who were in the ng, two that were d.e.ped in the army and one that had just gotten back from marine boot camp.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm no civil libertarian, nor do I play one on TV.   But I believe that he is protected (free speech, expression etal).
This young man graduated, and he is serving our country.  We should be proud to see that there are still young people willing to stand up to the challenge, and do a tour with our armed forces.
I'm surprised to see that it was a swabby and not a Jar Head Marine that did this though. LOL.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
As an ROTC student our college graduation is in full uniform with our brand new butter bars pinned on.  I will be proud to stand out; proud to represent my country.  I see no reason why he should not be able to do the same.  

We are allowed cap and gown or military uniform.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top