Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/28/2002 1:22:10 PM EDT
Hey Folks, How do I convert my existing WMA files to MP3?? Or better yet, what is the best program to use for ripping my CD's to MP3? I would prefer this to be freeware and not shareware....although I would spend $25 if it was a really smoking program. Thanks for the help, JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2002 1:29:18 PM EDT by Atencio]
I use exact audio copy( freeware) to convert a perfect copy as a wav file on my computer. Then I use musicmatch jukebox plus 7 (shareware, around $25.00-worth buying)to convert to mp3. Look at this months MaximumPC magazine. They talk about mp3 stuff including a bit on EAC and musicmatch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:33:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2002 1:41:37 PM EDT by fizassist]
It sounds like you're using Windows XP and are ripping cds to WMA using Windows Media Player 8? If this is the case, get this file: [url]http://www.speakeasy.org/~intense1/bink/MP3Pack.zip[/url] . [;)] Edited because I forgot to tell you what it is! It's a program that will add MP3 encoding to Media Player 8. So under your recording preferences, you can select MP3 instead of WMA. It's pretty fast and also looks up album & song names. For more cool XP stuff, look at [url]http://windowsxp.nu/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:39:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2002 1:40:24 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:45:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shadowblade: I use Music Match 7.1 - rips CDs directly to mp3 files at 6X speed and even looks up the album, artist, etc and names the files to your specifications. Organizes your music and can burn a CD directly from your playlist. You can even add a photo (I use the album cover) to the mp3 tag that displays while the song is playing (I kind of thought that was cool). Check your email in a little bit.
View Quote
just as a side note, Music Match will also convert your files from wav to mp3 and burn a copy. Music match will also play video. Most people use either Winamp or Music Match. I just prefer Music Match, but you may want to check out winamp as well. Many people swear by it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:49:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2002 2:07:55 PM EDT by AR-15Fan]
I thought Winamp was just a player, have they improved it?
View Quote
You can set the output to a file, instead of just playing. Been an option for a long time I think... I've forgotten exactly how you set it up to do it though, been awhile. Think it under preferences/output, then it's in the settings on one of the output plugins I believe... The diskwriter plugin, in it's settings you can select what type of file output you want, etc. Probably not the best way to do it though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:08:35 PM EDT
I thought Winamp was just a player, have they improved it?
View Quote
They have all kinds of plugins to get it to do everything now. That's kinda why I like Music Match better, it just seems designed to do what I use it for from the start. I bought the lifetime upgrade thing, so it upgrades its self from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:11:32 AM EDT
I found winamp a pain because you have to go in and reset the input/output preferences and I would always forget what they were. Musicmatch is much simplier.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:35:41 AM EDT
Thanks for all the help fellas.....I forgot to check this last night, but I will try it as soon as I get home from work. What would I do without ya!!!!!!!!
Top Top