Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 5/28/2002 11:27:39 AM EDT
Does anyone here have any links to provide info on water storage and filtration for emergencies. I know about treating with bleach and such but I am wondering about the water filters that remove solids and such. Do they have a shelf life? I got my postassium Iodate tabs but I was looking for info on water supplies and storage. I think next if a dirty nuke or some such foolishness were to happen a drinkable water supply would be a top priority. Id kind of like to have a few colapsable bladders and the means to treat/filter creek water if need be regardless of how contaminated it is by either bio-chem or just the usual contaminants in it. I would like to be able to treat about 10 gallons a day for at least a few weeks if need be. Like the scouts say "be prepared". I cant be the only one here not to think about it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:52:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2002 11:53:34 AM EDT by satcong]
I hope this helps, read all replies...etc. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=118833[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:12:24 PM EDT
I have used a PUR Hiker model on the Appalacian Trail, in North Carolina and suffered no ill effects from drinking water filtered from nasty water sources that we found along the trail. If I had to do it again, I might upgrade to the PUR Voyager series, just to get more complete filtration and protection from viruses!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:26:02 PM EDT
The British Berkfeld will gravity filter 12-24 gallons of potable water per day, depending on the model used. Prices range from $199-$279.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:21:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Ernie: . . I got my postassium Iodate tabs but I was looking for info on water supplies and storage. I think next if a dirty nuke or some such foolishness were to happen a drinkable water supply would be a top priority. Id kind of like to have a few colapsable bladders and the means to treat/filter creek water if need be regardless of how contaminated it is by either bio-chem or just the usual contaminants in it. I would like to be able to treat about 10 gallons a day for at least a few weeks if need be. Like the scouts say "be prepared". I cant be the only one here not to think about it.
View Quote
Well us people in earthquake-prone So. Calif., storing drinkable water would be wise & prudent precaution. A lot of people were caught unprepared, and probably still not prepared during the '94 Northridge earthquake, but... There are blue water barrels in 50, 35, 15 gallons. I think the rule of thumb is 1 gallon per person per day. Throw in some Oxy-Store ($13/bottle treats 2 55-gal [url]majorsurplusnsurvival.com[/url]) water treatment, and you won't have to worry about water for 5 years. Check out [url]http://majorsurplusnsurvival.com/tip%20why%20water.htm[/url] for more tips on water storage.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 12:52:56 AM EDT
Top Top