Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 4:15:57 PM EDT
I have a 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4.  I need to take the front end apart.  I have the rotor off and need to know how to get the hub out.  Basically I have a bad wheel barring and need to replace it.  I don't know how to remove anything past the rotor.  

Anyone mechanics or does anyone have a Chilton manual.  Maybe someone could scan the part about the front end and email it to me.  Or....does anyone know an online link to such info?  

Any help or ideas or a list of what is involved would also be great.

Thanks in advance

medcop
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The two things I find work best for my 99 Ford Explorer after nine recalls and Tech Service Bulletins was...

1. Large can of gasoline(apply liberally on and about the offending vehicle)

2. A road flare(throw from a good distance so you'll never be burned by Ford again.)

I can't back that up, I pissed and moaned like a sissy and turned it in at the end of the lease.

Ford sux

Sherm
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Check this site out  http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/exp.html
This guy is a guru of explorers
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a FORD...........THAT's the PROBLEM
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about Explorers, but Dodge and Jeep 4x4s both use unit bearings in the front wheels - the bearings, hub, and rotor are all one assembly and have to be replaced as an assembly (about $300 for a Ram 2500.)
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know about Explorers, but Dodge and Jeep 4x4s both use unit bearings in the front wheels - the bearings, hub, and rotor are all one assembly and have to be replaced as an assembly (about $300 for a Ram 2500.)
View Quote

The hub and rotor are two diff. pieces.  I have the rotor off....just not sure how to get the hub off.  

I guess I will just purchase a Chilton manual.  Heck, probably can't even get the parts until Tues.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have the rotor off, you should also have the bearings out. The Explorer is an automatic hub, i.e. no switching the hub on or off manually like the olden days. Now, if the hub is bad, that's a different story. IIRC, it's similiar to a CV joint. Behind the rotor there should be a nut held on with a cotter pin thru it. Yours may be a different type.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you have the rotor off, you should also have the bearings out. The Explorer is an automatic hub, i.e. no switching the hub on or off manually like the olden days. Now, if the hub is bad, that's a different story. IIRC, it's similiar to a CV joint. Behind the rotor there should be a nut held on with a cotter pin thru it. Yours may be a different type.
View Quote

I thought if the rotor was off I should be to the bearings.  However, the hub is still on (hub and rotor two diff pieces) and I don't know how to get it off.  It has to come off to get to the bearings.  The rotor was held on with a large nut (no pin) and it appears that the hub is not held on by anything.  I know it is but have not clue what.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:37:38 PM EDT
[#8]
This is exactly why I did not want to work on my POS car. By the time you figure in all of the time and money it takes to diagnose the problem, all of the parts bought that didn't fix the problem, then installing the correct parts, and finally adjusting the new parts- the whole mess could have been repaired faster and cheaper by a mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, I used to do minor repairs on my first car- replaced brake pads, replaced master cylinder, fixed electrical problems -stuff like that. Nowdays they make cars so it is damn difficult to fix if you don't know exactly what you are doing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
look it up on the web you should be able to find some kind of ref.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, three bolt hold the hub on.  They are on the back of it.  The hub and bearings are one piece.

$175 each (side) for the parts!  Now I hate Ford even more!

medcop
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well, three bolt hold the hub on.  They are on the back of it.  The hub and bearings are one piece.

$175 each (side) for the parts!  Now I hate Ford even more!

medcop
View Quote

Unit bearings [;)] Dodge and Jeep are held on the same way, only the rotoe is part of the assembly (at least on a Ram 2500.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top