Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2002 5:54:02 AM EDT
I am an American first and not a hyphenated American. I have very strong Celtic ties, but that stays around the hearth. I am an American first and foremost, and come from a family that has bleed and died on both sides in uniform. America for Americans, if you were born here or made a legal transition to the status, good for you. But if by chance you live here, work here, and enjoy our way of life, and maintain your citizenship somewhere else, then shame on you for wanting to chang our system if that is the case.

That's my opinion, what's yours?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:05:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That pretty much sums it up for me.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:19:01 AM EDT
[#2]
You said it well. Being a milkshake of nationalities myself, I consider myself an American first and foremost.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm with ya on that one ARgon!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I disagree. What's in a label?

I think it was Teddy Roosevelt who said something like "We have no room in America for Hyphenated Americans".

Why does one have to be an American to live here? If one is a good honest citizen who cares what flag they fly? The founding fathers cobbled together a young country made up of citizens of dozens of other countries. They became Americans over night one July day in 1776 and they were labeled differently.

I'd rather have a honest Australian living next door than a liberal American citizen.

Unfortunately all countries are not as free as America. My wife still maintains her Thai citizenship as she would lose her right to own property in her home country of Thailand if she were to become an American citizen. The property we (in her name) owns there supports our in-laws who have tried to sell it illegally from under her.

The only thing she can't do is vote or hold office. We have many thousands of foreign citizens in our military bty serving honorably.

To hell with labels.
View Quote

Am I to read that as "To hell with Americans?" Seventy percent of my wifes family is still in Ireland, but those that come, take the pledge, as has all those that came in boths sides of our family. We have a great country, but I think you missed the last line of the first post, If you want to "...change our system..." Those that come and accept what we have in benefits under our system should take the pledge before degrading it (the system). We welcome all, but not as a place to harbor safely, and take from the system with no love for it. Yes, there are those that serve our country, but they too, held up their hand to serve and protect, and pay allegiance to this nation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am an American first and not a hyphenated American.
View Quote

Indeed. There's only one flag I fly.

[marines]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I disagree. What's in a label?

I think it was Teddy Roosevelt who said something like "We have no room in America for Hyphenated Americans".

Why does one have to be an American to live here? If one is a good honest citizen who cares what flag they fly? The founding fathers cobbled together a young country made up of citizens of dozens of other countries. They became Americans over night one July day in 1776 and they were labeled differently.

I'd rather have a honest Australian living next door than a liberal American citizen.

Unfortunately all countries are not as free as America. My wife still maintains her Thai citizenship as she would lose her right to own property in her home country of Thailand if she were to become an American citizen. The property we (in her name) owns there supports our in-laws who have tried to sell it illegally from under her.

The only thing she can't do is vote or hold office. We have many thousands of foreign citizens in our military bty serving honorably.

To hell with labels.
View Quote
Yes, but does your wife consider herself a Thai-American, and denounce our culture either by public forum or in her actions(i.e. speaking the Thai language, not adhering to our laws, values, etc) I agree that there are Americans born and raised here that are as un-American as the Taliban, but lets not compound the problem by creating class structure though hyphenated Americans who feel and are lead to believe they are somehow inferior or superior to others based on decent or culture.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Good friend of mine married a Thai girl in the late 60's. He was Air Force then, and she is a very nice wife, mother, and friend now. She became a US citizen, she felt what she gained here was better than what she left.  My mother-in-law did the same as a European. She too felt her loyalties were here, that's why she stayed here.

American, not a bad label to have or aspire to. Works for me and many others. It says a lot for those who want to make the commitment, and join the legion of others who have.

Love it and on this weekend, remember all those who have died making it possible to still have it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:35:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand ARgon's point. I do not refer to myself as "Scottish American". Rather simply [b]AMERICAN[/b].

The door is open and all are welcome...However once an individual becomes a citizen then there is really no need for a prefix...(Mexican,African,Etc...)

Except for the Texans...They got their own Country!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I understand ARgon's point. I do not refer to myself as "Scottish American". Rather simply [b]AMERICAN[/b].

The door is open and all are welcome...However once an individual becomes a citizen then there is really no need for a prefix...(Mexican,African,Etc...)

View Quote

Actually, six flags flew over Texas.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, six flags flew over Texas.
View Quote

Six Flags as in ammusement park?!? The Lone Star still has a soft spot in my heart!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
No, six different flags. I do not remember them all, but for a very short time they were their own country.

That is where the name of the amusement park comes from.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Six Flags as in ammusement park?!? The Lone Star still has a soft spot in my heart!
View Quote

Ahh,yes...Six Flags the park...A frequent place to go when I was a kid. [8D]

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No, six different flags. I do not remember them all, but for a very short time they were their own country.

That is where the name of the amusement park comes from.
View Quote

Yes you are correct.

Spain.France.Mexico.Texas Rebublic.Texas Conferacy. and U.S. flag
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's the link for the six flags.

[url]http://www.lsjunction.com/facts/6flags.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#16]
I think I've been high jacked for a history lesson, however, that's okay. A good one it is. Take it and run!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I've been high jacked for a history lesson, however, that's okay. A good one it is. Take it and run!
View Quote

I hope that I wasn't any part of this hy-jacking. [BD]

BTW...ARgon are you going to the BRC???
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Wedding planned for that weekend, hope to next year. Is there a next year for it?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Wedding planned for that weekend, hope to next year. Is there a next year for it?
View Quote

According to antiUSSA there will be.Was looking forward to meeting you there...I'll send ya a poster though!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

According to antiUSSA there will be.Was looking forward to meeting you there...I'll send ya a poster though!!!
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top