Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2002 5:18:43 PM EDT
Man this is annoying. I've got this bird that keeps ramming itself into my picture windows. Both in front and in back. The sound is annoying enough, but he's also crapping all over them as well. Pus the wife is scared of birds.

I think I'm just going to shoot him if he's still here tomorrow, but I was wondering if anybody knew what would cause a bird to do this. I've heard of them accidently flying into windows. But never doing it over and over on purpose.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the same problem...checked out a birders web site...
The reason is the birds see the reflection of trees in your window and so try to fly to them...and then blam..splat etc....
Hang some mobiles...or stuffed owls...or something with big eyes up in the window...might scare them away...if I can i will go out and take a quick pic and see if i can catch the tree reflection..so you see what I mean
[url]http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewImage.asp?AID=261019[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#3]
He is fighting his reflection for territory, my freinds house had one and it returned over a period of three years. You have to kill it, cover your windos, what he did, or move.
GG
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Shotar, I like that one! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It wouldn't happen to be a cardinal, would it? I've had one of those doing the same thing for the past 4 weeks to my rear truck window. The window has a dark factory tint, so it is easy to see yourself while looking at it; I think Gun Guru might be right...
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The reason is the birds see the reflection of trees in your window and so try to fly to them...and then blam..splat etc....
Hang some mobiles...or stuffed owls...or something with big eyes up in the window...might scare them away...if I can i will go out and take a quick pic and see if i can catch the tree reflection..so you see what I mean
[image]http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewImage.asp?AID=261019&IID=8840912[/image]
View Quote

Actually, both you and Gun Guru's ideas make sense. We have tons of trees around our house so I can see the reflection thing. But he is the only bird doing it, so maybe it is just fighting itself. Could be either one really. Both good suggestions.  

BTW Brouhaha, it has nothing to do with a Hitchcock film.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
couldnt get my pic to go hot...if its the same bird...over and over then he is going after his own reflection...territorial thing...probably got babies in a nest nearby..Ive got one of those plastic owls for baiting in crows keeps tem away from mine...had a lot of them go splat into our windows..mourning doves seem the worst...but had cardinals, towhees, and even a good sized hairy woodpecker..thought he was gonna take out the window..I have heard that anything with big eyes hung up in the window will do the trick..hth
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
PETA would tell you that the only sensible solution is to move your house.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
It is just teasing you that dove season is 3 months away.

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#13]
[thinking] Obviously, the only thing to do is to set up a blind behind the couch and wait with your 12-gauge. [shotgun]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the same damn problem a bird keeps building a nest in my gas grille no shit 5th time this bird does it, also this same bird mocks me at the same time iam not talking about a small nest the  nest fills the whole grill up.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep it is fighting its reflection.  My parents had a Cardinal doing that at my their house.  It kept pecking and flying at the windows.  And the windows kept getting all smeared with crap.

My dad finally shot him with the .410.  He was cool for awhile, but it got old apparently.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:15:41 PM EDT
[#16]
We've got a cardinal doing the same thing, same window, everyday. Tried opening the window, thinking he would fly in, but he just waits 'til the window is closed, then goes at it again.
A couple of years ago, had a roadrunner that would land on the mirror of my truck and attack the mirror for hours. finally had to put a Wal-Mart bag over the mirror when I parked at home. Took about two weeks before he gave up and didn't come back.
A pellet gun works wonders if all else fails.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah they are just like siamise fighting fish who see their reflection and the fight is on.

I still have blond hair(whats left of it) 57 years old and wasps,butterflys and all kind of flying critters land in my hair thinking they are going to get a pollen fix.

Your friends are going to wonder about you(if they don't allready) if you put owles and snakes in your windows.

Good luck     Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a vast white wing conspiracy.  I had a dove slam himself Mohammed Atta-style into my window a couple of nights ago.  I really doubt he could have seen his reflection and he certainly couldn't have seen through the house.  His trajectory seemed to indicate he was going after my wife (who looks nothing like the twin towers).  Odd for a dove unless perhaps he was indoctrinated by Al Qaeda or Hamas.  Anyway, it snapped his neck and caused him to become pretty darned dead.  The house is still standing.

(Editid bEcaws i'M haveEn a badd speLLenG day)
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:41:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Could it be that the bird is just a PLAIN, OLD,FUCKING STUPID bird???
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Why Is This Bird Ramming Itself Into My Windows?

Even bird hate Microsoft!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This is obviously a case of the dreaded Kamikaze dodo.  They were first reported coming out of Japan around 60 years ago.  They keep trying until they kill themselves or you.  There is nothing you can do except put up a good air defense.
View Quote
Lmao[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:39:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Ironically we just had one fly into our window a few minutes ago.  It landed on the ground stunned, and the cat snatched it up and ate it.  We have cathedral ceilings in the living room, and windows on opposite sides.  I believe the birds think they can fly right through.  It was worth buying this house just to hear the weekly THUD of birds against the windows.

Might I suggest the Ithaca Stakeout 10 guage?  Don't want to wound him.  Do the job right.

Balming
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:47:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewImage.asp?AID=261019[/url]
View Quote

That's why you see big X's drawn on the windows at new home construction sites. Seriously.

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Perhaps it is Dave Lasso reincarnated!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#26]
bird will fly into mirrors also, trying to fly to the other bird, understandable i guess... however WHY GOD WHY would the bird not try and avoid head on collision with the reflection bird?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:59:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bird will fly into mirrors also, trying to fly to the other bird, understandable i guess... however WHY GOD WHY would the bird not try and avoid head on collision with the reflection bird?
View Quote
they do try to avoid the head on collision, but the other bird always make the same evasive maneuver! that sucks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top