BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Maybe you Texas guys can tell me this.  I remember one spot where at night there were some mysterious lights out in the desert that allegedly no one had ever discovered the source of.  
View Quote

Those would be the Marfa Lights.  Very fun to watch, and still nobody knows what they are.  They've been there since the settlers first arrived.
View Quote
As soon as I read your response, the name came back to me like, Oh yeah.  There was a roadside rest stop that you could watch them from.  Really wierd.  You mean that no one has been able to go out that way during the daytime to see what the source might be?  They moved really dartingly.

Do you think my description of west Texas is accurate?
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I got robbed in Amarillo once, so my personal feelings about Texas are somewhat colored, but my uncle is from there, so I know its not all bad
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Maybe you Texas guys can tell me this.  I remember one spot where at night there were some mysterious lights out in the desert that allegedly no one had ever discovered the source of.  
View Quote

Those would be the Marfa Lights.  Very fun to watch, and still nobody knows what they are.  They've been there since the settlers first arrived.
View Quote

Eh.  General consensus is that the Marfa "mystery" lights are just the headlights of oncoming cars, way off in the distance.  I'll have to dig up a link on the guy that went out there, specifically to investigate.  He said something to the effect of, "Don't bring any high-powered binoculars, or you'll be dissapointed."

-Gloftoe
View Quote
I have only seen them once and would have to adamantly disagree with that.  The way they move would rule that out.  As brouhaha said, the backdrop is mountains with no roads going over them.  Not cars.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I lived in Denton for a while, and had a grandmother and uncle that lived in Sangerl, both north of Dallas if I remember correctly. I've never seen a wasp the size of the of the ones I saw in Sanger. These thing were HUGE! I guess things are bigger in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Davie Crockett,Sam Houston,Jim Bowie And ETH.
Edited to say forgot about them Sacketts,and lonesome Dove boys.

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:15:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 3:51:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Post from bobbyjack -
Davie Crockett,Sam Houston,Jim Bowie And ETH.
View Quote

What a stellar lineup of famous 'Texans.'

Pardon me, my eyes are beginning to mist up a bit!

Eric The(ProudWeasel)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:00:12 AM EDT
[#10]
The only place in Texas I have stayed in was Dallas. Had a good time there too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holy crap, I never figured that there was somebody here that had ever heard of Perryton,TX.  Been stuck in this hellhole for11 years now and I can't seem to get away from it.  The upside to living here is that I get to take all of my frustrations out on the prairie rats.
View Quote

I lived in Canadian for a year in the early '80s. Worked around Wheeler and also Perryton. The best thing about that area was the prarie dogs, the ranchers loved us shooting them.

One thing about the "native Texans", they usually know most of the small towns. Small town Texas is where life is really at. makes every trip to Town(Dallas, Amarillo, Austin,ect) a roadtrip adventure.....fullclip
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:42:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the way you think, [b]fullclip[/b]!

Then you will certainly enjoy going out to my Farm at the end of June!

Eric The(SmallTown)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Post from lucasf -
I got robbed in Amarillo once, so my personal feelings about Texas are somewhat colored, but my uncle is from there, so I know its not all bad
View Quote

You came all the way from New York State to Amarillo and got [b]robbed[/b]?

Talk about [b]'Boy, it just ain't your lucky day, Mister!'[/b]

Sorry to hear about it!

Did they catch the perp and beat him to a pulp in front of you? (that's the way it's handled down here, you know)

If not, give me a good description of the POS and I'll go to Amarillo and whip his azz!

I'll send photos of the blessed event for your viewing amusement!

Eric The(Vigilante)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 5:58:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Both my sisters married native Texans...live in arround Nacogdoches
I trained at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio.....and Ft Wolters in Mineral Wells
The Country Club of the Army. Was there during the Worlds Fair back in 68..saw San Antonio before and after it sure was a rough town and I sure had a good time..My pops kin were from Tenn and GA so I grew up a big Davy Crockett fan so naturally I spent lots of time in the Alamo and hanging arround that little park outside..I also spent as much time down on Padre Island as I could..Texas is a pretty cool place and there sure is a lot of it. I'm startin to miss it already..
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:03:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Come back anytime you want, [b]9divdoc[/b]!

You know you'd get a hearty Texas welcome from the Texas contingent on this Board!

BTW, has anyone ever told you that you think just [u]like[/u] a Texan?

Well, if not, then let me be the first to say so!

And you know that is a complement coming from the Hun![:D]

Eric The(AndHighPraiseIndeed!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:08:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Been to Texarkana (sp), DFW, Houston, Witchata Falls (sp), Amarillo (sp), El Paso, Pecos (Langtry), Big Bend, and a host of others. It took me a day to drive across it, and it is so different from east to west it is like a different country. Also, enjoyed the coast. Nice place and very varied cultures. Coming from a state that had the First Republic, we have a soft spot in our heart for the 2nd Republic! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I lived in Amarillo and Clute. Hey Hun, do you know where Clute is? Or does any Texan on this board know where Clute is?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Hi praise indeed....I am honored sir...and thank you.
[url]http://www.ci.clute.tx.us/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Post from ar10er -
Hey Hun, do you know where Clute is?
View Quote

I do [u]now[/u]! Thanks to [b]9divdoc[/b]!

Home of the Mosquito Festival!

Hmmmm. What bright bulb came up with that celebration?

Eric The(OnlyInTexas!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:01:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I was stationed at Ft. Sam...God I love Texas!..I want to go back someday, The best Piece of tail I ever got was in Texas (she was from Montana!)
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:13:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Back in pre GPS days the wife and I were hopelessly lost in Dallas.  I stopped alongside a major throughfare, got out and spread my map accross the hood and within two minutes we had a crowd of very friendly folks attempting to help us.  We ended up following a Dallas LEO directly to our destination.  Where else would this happen?  Certainly not here in Nashville...and a good morning to you ETH...
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#22]
And a Good Morning to you my Tennessee friend!

I am pleased that you and your wife saw a little bit of the True Texas spirit here in Dallas!

I hope you and yours have a very pleasant Memorial Day Weekend up there in Nasville![:D]

[b]Come see us soon![/b]

Eric The('That'sT-ForTexas,T-ForTennessee!')Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Eh.  General consensus is that the Marfa "mystery" lights are just the headlights of oncoming cars, way off in the distance.  I'll have to dig up a link on the guy that went out there, specifically to investigate.  He said:

"If you wish to believe the "Mystery" Lights are mysterious, don't go with a pair of high-powered binoculars. Because if you do, you'll soon realize that the Lights are nothing more than the headlights and taillights of cars driving U.S. 67 between Marfa and Presidio, on the crest of the Chinati Mountains."

-Gloftoe

(edited to correct my quote, and cite the following pages)

[url]http://www.watchingyou.com/marfa.html[/url]
[url]http://www.altotechnology.com/marfa/index.htm[/url]
View Quote

Except that Comanche and Apache Indian culture had stories of the "Marfa Lights" long before the invention of the automobile.

I've seen the lights twice.  White, green and red mostly.  It's the movement that's most unusual tho'.  I understand the roadside park between Alpine and Ft. Davis where the lights are most commonly visible has been upgraded recently.

And in Marfa the old historic Paisano Hotel where James Dean's room (during the filming of Giant) overlooking the lights has recently re-opened.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Clute:Home of the Mosquito Festival!

Hmmmm. What bright bulb came up with that celebration?

Eric The(OnlyInTexas!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

The same traveling PR manager that came up with the Fire Ant Festival in Marshall, Harrison County?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Whats a Texas?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Whats a Texas?
View Quote

Around three California's, with out the fruits and nuts.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#27]
You guys know I'm just funnin with 'yall, right?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Git a rope..."
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#29]
[b]Ft Worth,Texas[/b]

August '67 to September '91.

Yep,Still in my blood. Both of our son's were born in Ft Worth. Still go back once a year to visit my folks in Arlington.

Too many wonderful memories of things done...places been to...To list here...Suffice it to say [b]"Texas IS a State of Mind"[/b]

Looking forward to visiting with the Texas contingent at the [b]BRC[/b] [^]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Probably one of the worst dining experiences in my life was at the K-Bob's in Dalhart. The future-ex wife spent a year in College Station, and I've done a couple of business trips to Houston. Had alot of fun at the Texas Ren Fest.

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Probably one of the worst dining experiences in my life was at the K-Bob's in Dalhart. The future-ex wife spent a year in College Station, and I've done a couple of business trips to Houston. Had alot of fun at the Texas Ren Fest.

-legrue

View Quote

You should have went to the stockyard in Amarillo, you get to pick your cow there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Spent a couple of months at Ft. Bliss in 1969. Is El Paso still a shit hole?
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

No hard feelings, come on down and shoot with us, we need a target holder[:)]  fullclip
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whats a Texas?
View Quote

Around three California's, with out the fruits and nuts.
View Quote

And don't forget the flakes!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 7:51:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have only seen the San Antonio area and can say that I didn't like it myself. The people were nice enough (for Rednecks anyway [:D]), I didn't like the area. Since I haven't seen the rest of the state I can make any guesses of what that is like.
View Quote

Did you happen to see Fredricksburg while you were here? Truely one of my favorites in Texas.. fullclip
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I went to Virginia for training and there were some people from PA., WI., and CA. in my class. They asked if I had a horse and other dumb shit like that.
View Quote

Kinda' like asking me if I have a surfboard, if my wife has implants or if I take it in the....

bunghole.

Edited to add that I spent a little time in San Antonio and absolutely loved it, at least what I can remember.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#38]
... OK, time to fess up.

... Done time at Bell Helicopters in Hurst for research on a new rotor system (V-22) we developed in the early 90's.

... Plano for family gatherings.

... El Paso for a party once.

... Dallas / Ft. Worth,  business / pleasure

... Flew into Houston to hitchhike to New Orleans, LA for Mardi Gras two years ago.

... Next month Corpus Christi. A buddy got a great contract there and just bought a new big assed Donzi.
Woo Hoo!
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Whats a Texas?
View Quote

A place where we can still have FS and pistol grips on our rifles
Borg
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Laredo, El Paso
Doing Engineering, Machine tool service at Mexican factories. I thought Manila was rough!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:46:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Texas.

Been there, done that.

Turned down a high 5 digit bonus to permanently relocate there.

Still have the license plates, though. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#42]
[img]http://www.texasescapes.com/images/JasonPenney/rays.jpg[/img]

Ahhhh, Texas!

Eric The(TrueTexan)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#43]
It's even raining in my part of Texas right now[<]:)]  fullclip
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.texasescapes.com/images/JasonPenney/rays.jpg[/img]

Ahhhh, Texas!
View Quote

Yes, notice the flat, boring geography, the scrubby terrain devoid of trees and vegetation, and a storm with the potential to turn into a devestating tornado. Looks just like Texas alright. Yay. [;)]

On the plus side, you can legally own a machine gun there. [:)]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top