Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 11:13:44 AM EDT
L O S A N G E L E S, May 24 A large residential
building was rocked by an explosion and erupted in flames today.
There was no immediate word on whether anyone was hurt.
AP on abcnews
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/encino020524.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been watching this on Fox news.  They have live feeds from a helo.  One large explosion and big fire.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#3]
probably some enterprising fellow looking to recoup gambling losses and conceal his ex-wife's corpse by a little arson/insurance fraud, hoping ahmed the convenience store clerk will take the blame.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#4]
you beat me on posting this by 2 min!!!!!

oh well deleted mine...

If it is an attack... good thing cali citizens are allowed to defend them selves with AW's ... [whacko]

[img]media.abcnews.com/media/US/images/abc_ca_explosion_020524_nh.jpg[/img]  off the abc site
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
probably some enterprising fellow looking to recoup gambling losses and conceal his ex-wife's corpse by a little arson/insurance fraud, hoping ahmed the convenience store clerk will take the blame.
View Quote

Or somebodies Home office (meth lab) got a little too hot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I dont think it was an attack, but discos and marketplaces in Israel arnt exactly high profile either.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#7]
It isn't a terrorist attack. Since the apartment complex is populated mostly by elderly, it was either an O2 tank blowing up or someone trying to collect on a life insurance policy while shifting suspicion to terrorism.
Hell, every year some dolt blows up their house by setting off a dozen or more roach bombs while the pilot light is still burning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#8]
im saying [i]possable[/i] attack, cause around the DFW area the news within the last week has been about apt being the next targets ... we all got these notes saying watch your nieghbors, unless they are arabs... cause they are peace full loving people... and no In not kidding about the last part of the flyer...
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It isn't a terrorist attack. Since the apartment complex is populated mostly by elderly, it was either an O2 tank blowing up or someone trying to collect on a life insurance policy while shifting suspicion to terrorism.
Hell, every year some dolt blows up their house by setting off a dozen or more roach bombs while the pilot light is still burning.
View Quote

Yeah, old people blow up all the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not exactly a high profile target now is it?
View Quote
Smart, very smart...it makes the public say to themselves "gee they may not be targeting big buildings I really am at risk ANYWHERE!![;d]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do? Better call Tom Ridge and inform him about that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It was those damn robots.  They were trying to cover up a robot attack, cuz they eat their medicine for fuel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#14]
is this wrong:

if it was a gas leak....:
Habib did it..

if it was _________....:
Habib did it.....

????
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Smart, very smart...it makes the public say to themselves "gee they may not be targeting big buildings I really am at risk ANYWHERE!![;d]
View Quote

forgive me?[beer]

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#16]
1. Old fart's O2 canister.
2. Natural gas leak.
3. Sewer back-up.
4. Meth lab.
5. Insurance fraud, murder, etc.
6. Terrorists.

The fire guys were guessing 1, 2, and 3.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
It was one hell of an explosion whatever the cause. The police have marked off the area and treating it as a crime scene. This was either natural gas, a meth lab (unlikely since these were mostly older people) or terrorist related. Terrorists could have been building a bomb and it went off, they could have set off a bomb or they could have used the gas system as a bomb. Lots of possibilities. It is too early to say for sure what happened. I am leaning more toward a gas explosion but the secondary explosions are usually not associated with those. These could have been a result of possible oxygen tanks. I would not rule out anything at this point, especially considering the recent threat to apartment buildings.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#18]
coinsidental, multiple SHC.

Just my guess.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This was either natural gas, a meth lab (unlikely since these were mostly older people) or terrorist related. Terrorists could have been building a bomb and it went off, they could have set off a bomb or they could have used the gas system as a bomb. Lots of possibilities.
View Quote

or robots...don't forget the robots.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was either natural gas, a meth lab (unlikely since these were mostly older people) or terrorist related. Terrorists could have been building a bomb and it went off, they could have set off a bomb or they could have used the gas system as a bomb. Lots of possibilities.
View Quote

or robots...don't forget the robots.
View Quote

I hope they had robot insurance, cause they are gonna need it.  Those damn robots....
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
View Quote

forgive me?[beer] Nothing to forgive bro...I was just saying (if it was a terrorist) that it was smart to target small buildings too. It would also be very smart to target Podunk.U.S.A. right in the middle of the country next time....for the same terrorist reason..

View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top