Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2002 7:14:49 AM EDT
Do older ARs command a higher price than the newer ones?  I am specifically thinking of those that were made with the A1 type rear sight--are they usually more expensive than the A2 or A3 sights?

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Sights aren't as important as date of manufacture. You can find A1 and A2 sights in any of the following classifications of AR rifles.

Green Label (Pre89) - These are most desireable. They are stamped AR-15 and have all preban features (ie bayo lug, flash hider).

Blue Label (89-94) - These are also considered prebans but don't have bayo lugs. Carbine versions do have collapsable buttstocks. Also they are stamped " Colt Sporter" not Colt AR-15.

Post 1994, these are the currently available rifles and have no flash hider or bayo lug. Carbine versions do not have collapspable buttstocks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The great thing that has always attracted me to the AR-15 is that you are bascially buying a [u]platform[/u], which, especially so in a pre-ban, you can configure into just about any size, shape and purpose that may strike your fancy!

Everything is interchangeable, more or less, so you can have a lower with all types of uppers already assembled for various uses.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will) but there is no other weapon system that offers such a wide range of possibilties!

Am I right? [:D]

Eric The(AR-15KindOfGuySince1974!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Seem to remember something about some guns from a place called Heckler & Koch or something. Something about multiple MP5 variants, etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, yes, [b]SteyrAUG[/b], but does any one platform offer the same variety of choices as does the AR-15 family?

Different calibres from the same weapon?

That sort of thing?

Replacing a barrel on an HK is a tricky job, with an AR-15, it's a flick of a pin and a change of uppers!

That's why, in a SHTF scenario (Lord, I know I'm gonna get punished for this!) I would prefer a good old-fashioned UZI over any HK MP5/PDW variant!

Imagine that![:D]

Eric The(No,NotJustCauseIt'sIsraeli!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Was gonna let you off until you said....

Quoted:

That's why, in a SHTF scenario (Lord, I know I'm gonna get punished for this!) I would prefer a good old-fashioned UZI over any HK MP5/PDW variant!

Imagine that![:D]

Eric The(No,NotJustCauseIt'sIsraeli!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

ARE YOU NUTS?!?!

Have you ever actually shot either of them?

With the UZI you basically have 2 platforms; wooden or folding metal stock.

I own BOTH, and the UZI is a fine SMG for an older design. But in NO WAY can it be compared to the MP5.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:00:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll take the MP5 thank you.

Oh yeah, and back on topic....SteyrAUG hit it on the money Bacchus.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#7]
NONONO....SP1's are the most expensive variant out there, and especially if they have a cool, pimped out hard chromed finish.  I saw one at a local gunstore the other day, oh boy it was sweet, and for only 2500 it could be yours!  Gosh, I wish I could buy it but just couldn't afford that work of art.[whacko]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Post from SteyrAUG -
ARE YOU NUTS?!?!
View Quote

Jeepers! You're probably the 1000th person in my life to ask me that question! I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here.
Have you ever actually shot either of them?
View Quote

Great question! I shouldn't have an opinion about their relative merits without actually firing them.

Well, since I've been collecting assault weapons and such weapons as these since 1974, and my 22nd Birthday, so I will say this - I've had 'access' to both weapons. 'Nuff said!

Here is [b]bunghole[/b] at the Hun Farm:
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/farm/JeffUzi.jpg[/img]

Here is [b]ilikelegs[/b] at the Hun Farm:
[img]http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/farm/KeithMP5.jpg[/img]

Recognize those weapons?[:D]
With the UZI you basically have 2 platforms; wooden or folding metal stock.
View Quote

You are correct, Sir, but who's talking about [u]platforms[/u] now? I'm talking about a SHTF weapon!
I own BOTH, and the UZI is a fine SMG for an older design.
View Quote

Yes, when I want to impress the locals at the gun shows, the HK MP5 or PDW variants work wonders!

But if I were to be dropped off at my Farm, say, for the next ten years to defend it against and and all goblins, give me the UZI!

Remember, we're talking about a SHTF weapon!

If I take an HK, I better remember to bring a lot of parts including firing pins and springs.

And UZI? What firing pin? You mean the one machined into the huge, indestructible bolt?

How about changing barrels? You need to help me load up a press to take out to the Farm for that purpose. Barrels? I need a small personal loan from you to help me buy a few.

UZI barrels? Easy on, easy off. No special tools required. No loans. Dime a dozen.

Ammo sensitivity? HK? Better have a couple of differently angled locking pieces for your bolt carrier, 'cause those MP5s can get pretty finicky with various types of ammo, and you may have to trade them out when you switch ammo.

UZI? It will digest anything! Pardon me![:D]
But in NO WAY can it be compared to the MP5.
View Quote

You are sooo right about that! If my fighting is going to be done on the weekends, with a cease fire or two every so often, I'll use an HK.

If it's gonna be ballz to the wall, SHTF-type fighting, give me the UZI [u]always[/u]!

And that's all I have to say about that.

Eric The(No,It'sNotJustCauseThey'reIsraeli!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, you make a point or two[:D]

But I have seen my MP5s eat everything. And mine apparently aren't as finiky as yours.

And I heven't seen the need to change MP5 barrels. They seem to hold up pretty well. Ever seen the NASA MP5? Had over 476,000 rounds put through it before it got retired. And the only reason it was retired is the cost of replacing the original barrel was about as expensive as a new gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, I knew you would mention the infamous NASA MP5, but have you seen the waiting list on HK barrel replacement at Murray's? [:D]

And that's just one of the Class 2 guys I know. I just don't know what the others' waiting times might be!

I'm simply trying to cover all the bases, and the UZI is the greatest SHTF submachine gun IMHO!

Ask the Arabs! [:D]

Eric The(VeryHumbleOpinion)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 10:55:01 AM EDT
[#11]
SteyrAUG, ETH,

[b]Wow, you guys are almost playing nice now![/b]  Nothing wrong with a little friendly discussion about guns, right?  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yes, I knew you would mention the infamous NASA MP5, but have you seen the waiting list on HK barrel replacement at Murray's? [:D]
View Quote

Murray is one of three guys in the entire country who can do the job. Maybe that has something to do with it. But the point is rebarreling a HK in NOT really necessary in the average life of a MP5. Most people are just installing 3 lug barrels to replace carbine length HK94 barrels.

Quoted:
And that's just one of the Class 2 guys I know. I just don't know what the others' waiting times might be!
View Quote

Terry is backed up and due to health problems probably will never resolve his workload. Jim is now only accepting guns from about 4 people, me included.

Quoted:
I'm simply trying to cover all the bases, and the UZI is the greatest SHTF submachine gun IMHO!

Ask the Arabs! [:D]

Eric The(VeryHumbleOpinion)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

UZI is probably my #2. And given the option make it a micro uzi.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
SteyrAUG, ETH,

[b]Wow, you guys are almost playing nice now![/b]  Nothing wrong with a little friendly discussion about guns, right?  Congratulations!
View Quote

HEY #*&(^$*# YOU, you $(*&#*^(# son of a #^%#)$) piece of #&*^*&#(*&(# low life ($)(@*#()@&& goddamn #*^*(&#(#_+!

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Post from SteyrAUG -
UZI is probably my #2. And given the option make it a micro uzi.
View Quote

Refresh my memory, wasn't that possibly a micro UZI we saw in the holster on Arafat's desk during his recent encampment at IDF insistence in Ramallah?

If it is, then a good ad for the micro UZI would be that picture with the caption:

'The machine pistol that you would own if you had access to all the machine pistols in the former Soviet Bloc.'

Eric The(IKnowI'dGetOne-JustKeepingUpWithTheArafats)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I want to shoot at the Hun farm[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure. But it is the one the COlumbians used to retake the Japanese Embassy.

Small UZI with wire side folding stock and higher cycle rate.

[img]http://remtek.com/arms/imi/uzi/micro/microuzi.gif[/img]

[img]http://remtek.com/arms/imi/uzi/micro/bodyguard.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top