Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2002 4:43:54 PM EDT

Well, I was reading a thread the other day and somebody brought up Wild Turkey Liqueur.

To be honest with you, I didn't even know that Wild Turkey made Liqueur.

So is this stuff any good? Can anybody give me an idea what it tastes like? Maybe something like Barenjaeger? Or is it more like Southern Comfort (yuck!)?

While we're at it, what are some of your other favorite liqueurs?

If you haven't tried Tuaca yet, it is well worth it. It's sweet, but not too sweet, and pretty strong. Goes great with a good cigar.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
'Is this stuff any good?' With a name like Shamus McCoy you have to ask that?

Shame on ye, m'lad! As any Irishman will tell you, all liqueurs are good, but some are great![:D]

Benedictine is the downfall of the Huns. It may be that we raped, pillaged and sacked too many Benedictine monasteries in the Dark Ages or something, and it's bitten back savagely.

As a matter of fact, outside of Anisette (too liquorice-tasting for me) I love then all.

Eric The(Dipsomaniacal)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Absinthe. It's not goooooood fo   r you thoough.  Meeeeses yo  u up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Grand Marnier [blue]Cuvee du Centenaire[/blue]

100 years worth the wait!

223REM

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I love Annisette.....

However my wife makes a great home made black current liqueur..

Take a large jug ( we use ones from Juice about 1.5 gallons)

Fill it 3/4 with alcholhol ( in Canada we call it Alcool)

Then disolve as much sugar in it as it will take.

Then add 2 cups of black currents....shake it up an let it set for about 6 months shaking every couple of weeks ( when you remember)

Then strain it through cheese cloth into small bottles..

It is good right away but gets better with age..

I had some my father in law made 10 years ago....WOW was it ever smoooth.

Now we make a batch every year..
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I love Annisette.....

However my wife makes a great home made black current liqueur..

Take a large jug ( we use ones from Juice about 1.5 gallons)

Fill it 3/4 with alcholhol ( in Canada we call it Alcool)

Then disolve as much sugar in it as it will take.

Then add 2 cups of black currents....shake it up an let it set for about 6 months shaking every couple of weeks ( when you remember)

Then strain it through cheese cloth into small bottles..

It is good right away but gets better with age..

I had some my father in law made 10 years ago....WOW was it ever smoooth.

Now we make a batch every year..
View Quote

What kind of Alcool dost thou recommend to fill said jug 3/4 up with?  Everclear?  Or...someting a a little more tame...?
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
ShamusMcOI,

How dare you speak poorly of the "Grand Old Drink of the South"!  Southern Comfort is truly
a great drink.  I have two 1.75's sitting on my fridge right now.  The more I drink, the better it tastes.  I drink more So Co than any other hard liquor.

I can't be the only one who enjoys it.

Live_Free
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
My dog is named "REMY"   enough said, LOL [beer]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Shamus:

My current weakness is Yukon Jack, a Canadian lemony liqueur that mixes well with Internet games and LAN parties.  My wife and I enjoy Sambuca, an Italian anise liqueuer that is excellent in coffee.  My favorite is a Drambuie (sp?), which is a scotch liqueur.

I have made the following liqueurs/cordials:

Blueberry: a family favorite
Coffee/anise: rich and good with milk
Raspberry
Rose petal: yummy.
Carnation petal: Delicate and delicious, turned out a nice pink color as well.
Lemon verbena:  Yikes!  This one tasted like lemon pledge smells.
Pear/Ginger
Strawberry
...and more that I have forgotten about.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer Vodka. Some good Vodka's are Grey Goose, Belvedere, & Kettle One.

Absolute is the best of the bad Vodkas, or the worst of the good Vodkas, depending on your point of veiw.

Lately I mix my Vodka with Red Bull.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Absolute is the best of the bad Vodkas, or the worst of the good Vodkas, depending on your point of veiw.

View Quote

No doubt about it, vodka with red bull is awesome. It's also good with Captain Morgans. Have you tried the new blue KMX energy drink? It's my new favorite vodka/energy drink.

Stormbringer, I'll have to try that recipe for sure. Any recommendations on staying sanitary, and on temperature control? Or is it pretty much a let it sit kind of recipe? Just curious, I don't want to go blind. Man it does sound good!

So no opinions on the Wild Turkey Liqueur? Maybe I'm not the only one who's tried it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What kind of Alcool dost thou recommend to fill said jug 3/4 up with?  Everclear?  Or...someting a a little more tame...?
View Quote

Just borring old alchohol...

Here in Canada its called Alcool due to the french label..

Its pure......

Not sure what everclear is....but it sounds about right..

This stuff is often used to punch up punch.  It comes in plastic jugs itself...sort of like milk jugs.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ShamusMcOI,

How dare you speak poorly of the "Grand Old Drink of the South"!  Southern Comfort is truly
a great drink.  I have two 1.75's sitting on my fridge right now.  The more I drink, the better it tastes.  I drink more So Co than any other hard liquor.

I can't be the only one who enjoys it.

Live_Free
View Quote

I'm with ya!  I even got my girlfriend to enjoy it.  Ah, the wonderful warm feeling that goes all the way [s]through[/s]to the bottom of your stomach.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
On this topic, I'm sure all like to try this... Its made in Germany and it's called ASBACH URALT. It is a brandy from the Rhineland. Quite tasty. Then for you scotch drinkers (the only true whiskey and I'm talking single malts )there is DRAMBUIE. Most delightful.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Jesus Jenny.  Do you all put on your skirts before enjoying your favorite "liqueur".  Good god drink some alchohol fit for men before we start seeing banner ads for tampons on the top of the page.

Remember the three wise men.  Jim, Jack, and Jose.

Beer ain't bad either.

Criminy.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Although my nick is JIMBEAM I  prefer Bookers, Blantons, or Knob Creek.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Barley-Pop is the only drink worth drinking. The rest of that shit will make you a grilie-mon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On this topic, I'm sure all like to try this... Its made in Germany and it's called ASBACH URALT. It is a brandy from the Rhineland. Quite tasty. Then for you scotch drinkers (the only true whiskey and I'm talking single malts )there is DRAMBUIE. Most delightful.
View Quote

Sniper, thanks.  My brain farted & I couldn't remember the name.  I have a friend who flies DL to Germany twice a month.  She brings it back to me.  It's outstanding.  I've seen it at 2 liquor stores in the bay area, but didn't check price. Very nice stuff.  Better than Remy if you ask me.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No doubt about it, vodka with red bull is awesome. It's also good with Captain Morgans. Have you tried the new blue KMX energy drink? It's my new favorite vodka/energy drink.
View Quote

I don't know if I like the idea of mixing massive amounts of stimulant AND depressant at the same time... but what do I know?  Maybe they cancel each other out. [;)]

Isn't this thread supposed to be about liqueurs, not liquor?  Maybe I'm nitpicking.  Anyhow... on the liqueur front, Frangelico is some cool stuff.  Kind of a hazelnut flavor.  Frangelico + Bailey's = Nutty Irishman.  Frangelico + Vanilla Twist (vodka) = Chocolate Cake.

Interesting stuff.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Sampled a German(Austrian?) sauce called "Kierschwasser".. Very good..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:54:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you guys are all bigger lushes than I am. That's comforting.(and a little scary.)
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you like Vodka and Red Bull you'll like a "Tweekin' Puerto Rican"

Take a pint glass and fill it 3/4 with Red Bull

Take a shot glass and fill it half with Malibu Rum and half with Stoli

Take said shot glass and drop into the pint glass, Slam the drink and have fun.
It's kind of like drinking an Irish Carbomb

Alex
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Remember the three wise men.  Jim, Jack, and Jose.
View Quote

Yeah, but never, EVER, under ANY circumstances try and take on the [b]4 Horsemen[/b] in one night...

Jim, Jack, Jose, and Johnny will KICK YOUR ASS 6 ways from Sunday.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:41:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Whenever these topics come up, it pains me to see that so many of you drink "girly drinks".

Whatever happened to Scotch, Bourbon, Martini (and I don't mean chocolate martini), Whiskey and soda, G&T, etc. drinkers?

If you've ever even so much as tasted a Cosmopolitan, you might as well just put on a dress.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Ouzo: The Greek drink
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:55:18 AM EDT
[#27]
I just remembered this one.  I have some friends who mix Frangelica with Benedictine 1:1 and call it "Nuts and Cherries."

-White Horse
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:55:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Jeepers, [b]Cincinnatus[/b], I'll be the guy at the BRC in a mou mou then!

My motto is that if the drink doesn't come with an umbrella, it ain't worth drinking!

Hell, I even use umbrella's when drinking from the Hun's famous polished ram's horn goblet!

Haven't you ever seen the 'Girl Drink Drunk' episode of Kids in The Hall, from its third season (1991-92) in which a businessman (Dave Thomas) gets addicted to "girl drinks". At a business dinner to celebrate his promotion, the guy's boss eggs him on - 'C'mon, it tastes like candy! It's a girl drink!'

The businessman quickly goes down the long road of addiction, drunkeness, and cocktail umbrellas. Eventually, the girl drinks get the better of him, and he gets fired.

Huh? Are you not a fan of KITH?

I need a girly drink, NOW!

Eric The()Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:57:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes, the Gin and Tonic is a bit wimpy, but it has a history, just like Mint Juleps.

Tradition is a manly thing, after all.

(I'm very near NYC)
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Whenever these topics come up, it pains me to see that so many of you drink "girly drinks".

Whatever happened to Scotch, Bourbon, Martini (and I don't mean chocolate martini), Whiskey and soda, G&T, etc. drinkers?

If you've ever even so much as tasted a Cosmopolitan, you might as well just put on a dress.

View Quote

Here here!  I have been reading these alcohol threads and feeling like an unwashed cretin!  Somebody bought me a Drambuie once....I thought it was model airplane fuel and THEN was sorely disappointed when I asked how much alcohol was in it!
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:59:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Haven't you ever seen the 'Girl Drink Drunk' episode of Kids in The Hall, from its third season (1991-92) in which a businessman (Dave Thomas) gets addicted to "girl drinks". At a business dinner to celebrate his promotion, the guy's boss eggs him on - 'C'mon, it tastes like candy! It's a girl drink!'

The businessman quickly goes down the long road of addiction, drunkeness, and cocktail umbrellas. Eventually, the girl drinks get the better of him, and he gets fired.

Huh? Are you not a fan of KITH?

View Quote

Damn, that was a funny show.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:01:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Hell, I think Markers Mark Bourbon is a girly drink!

That stuff is just too sweet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, that was a funny show.
View Quote

"What about a Chocolate Choo Choo? It's a girl drink. Tastes like candy."
Chocolate Choo Choo... the gateway drink of girl drunks everywhere. [:)]

Here's a link to the script.
[url]http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/three/girldrnk.html[/url]

As for myself, I'm a gin and tonic man primarily... Tanqueray Ten recently.  Smoother than Tanqueray, but with more bite than Bombay Sapphire.  But that's just me.

Viper Out
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Then again, some people make their own. Stainless steel and copper baby! No radiators used around this part of Tennessee. If you let it age in a good charred barrel it taste like Jack. If you don't it is fierce for the first few sips. Tried some Tennessee rum this weekend. Not bad tasting and two shots will have you very mellow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Mostly I'm a beer guy.

However, every once in a while I like to relax with a candle warmed glass of either Grand Marnier or B&B (Benedictine and Brandy).  Of course a dram or two of good single malt is always good for a celebration. I'll be working on my appreciation skills this Fall.

Blended whiskeys are made by people who just can't figure out how to make real usque beatha without botching it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hell, I think Markers Mark Bourbon is a girly drink!

That stuff is just too sweet.
View Quote

No, Maker's Mark is the best mass produced bourbon there is.

You THINK it's sweet because it's so smooth you can actually TASTE something... unlike most other bourbon swill sold in liquor stores.

I drink nearly a 5th a week.

I have imbibed all manner of bourbons, Canadian Blendeds, Scotchs, etc... and I keep coming back to the Maker's Mark.

It's the best.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top