Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 10:15:13 AM EDT
.....As to what constitutes a “personal attack and a troll.”

And I’m thinking the Staff or the Avilas need to clear this one up, NOT the two different Mods involved.

Of course, the Staff has given the Mods absolute discretion to lock threads for any reason. That’s as it should be. But I just had a thread locked, a Mod claiming it was a “personal attack and a troll.” If he had just locked the thread and said nothing, fine. But his “reason” is what concerns me.

Without mentioning any names, let’s compare what’s been said against me vs. what I’ve said against others.

[b]One poster said the following against me (and others):[/b]

He’s called me an anti-Semite, a Jew hater, called me sympathetic to Nazis, soft on terrorism, and pro suicide bombers. But all this doesn’t constitute a personal attack or a troll. At least no one edited his posts, or locked his threads when it happened.

Further, he’s associated me with Hitler, Yasser Arafat, bin Laden, and a few other murderers whose names I can’t pronounce. But all this doesn’t constitute a personal attack or a troll. At least no one edited his posts, or locked his threads when it happened.

Lastly, he said I was HOPING for another Sept. 11 tragedy. He actually said (typed) that . What could be aMORE offensive “personal attack” a statement to ANY American? But all this doesn’t constitute a personal attack or a troll. At least no one edited his posts, or locked his threads when it happened.

[b]What I said against him:[/b]

That he engages in wordsmithing (verifiably true) and I also attacked his profession (not that anyone had a problem with those bashing my profession during the Enron / Andersen mess (I bashed my profession also)

And THAT (by me) is considered a “personal attack and trolling”

Leading me to believe “personal attacks and trolling” have to do with who does it.

Some clarification would be appreciated. Or go ahead and lock this thread too. Clearly, its a “personal attack.”

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
G-man,

why drag this out?

Is it really worth it?
View Quote

Yes, ABSOLUTELY.

its a matter of principle and charachter. Namely, MINE, which has been under INCESSANT attack, by a MOD of all people, for months. I've said LITTLE OF it, formally, till now.

Everybody, sooner or later makes a statement that offends another.
View Quote

"A" statement???  [size=6] A[/size=6] statement???? Apparently you are not aware of the severity and  the pervasiveness of the things he has said about me. Its been NON-STOP. In lieu of logical debate, he's engaged in almost exclusive charachter assassination.

I hope to have a good time at the BRC, even with those whom I have disagreed with, and flamed on the board. I don't take flames personally and don't necessarily mean them as a personal attack.
View Quote

I actually addressed this with teh unnamed individual - HOW are we to remain "brothers in arms" when this type of crap is spewed at me?? Frankly I see NO POSSBILE way someone saying "I'm hoping for another Sept 11" is ANY THING OTHER THAN a personal attack.

The type of attack you don't brush off as an unguarded statement.

HOW would I show up to a BRC event, given what he's said about me, and the position of authority he has abused to attack me??? HOW????? Tell me how!!!!!!!!

There are subjects that create heated debate and flames here, but I don't suggest that we ban those subjects or ignore them. But when it starts to get out of hand, lock them with extreme prejudice.

dave
View Quote

Alls I can say Dave is IF EVER you stand in my shoes, you'll understand. And I guaran-darn-tee you you won't be quite so understanding of it as I have been for the last several months.

Enuf's enuf.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I know what you are talking about Gman, same thing happened to me right after Sept 11 because I wouldn't join in on the calls for genocide.

At least I got an apology from the mod after things cooled down.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
the dave -

Good thoughts, there.

re: your IT director.....

Your human, man. Even with God's help, we EVENTUALLY "lose it." Hope that situation is resolved.

Sadly, I won;t be at the BRC, partly for the reasons stated above (sad) partly due to the fact I'm too much of a wimp to drive for 12 hours, and I'm NOt giving the airlines the chance to lose my guns. [:D]

re: the Garand -

It just is. Grand, that is.  [:D]

Imbroglio -

I don't beleive I've ever heard the man apologize. Just wordsmith his way around the faux pas that are common to us all.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, [b]garandman[/b], I did not lock that thread nor did I request that the thread be locked.

I've always enjoyed our little [i][b]tête-à-têtes[/b][/i] on these important issues.

Eric The(Honest!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
FWIW, [b]garandman[/b], I did not lock that thread nor did I request that the thread be locked.

I've always enjoyed our little [i][b]tête-à-têtes[/b][/i] on these important issues.

Eric The(Honest!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

I believe ya. Tho since the Mod who DID lock it showed up out of nowhere, I suspect SOMEONE did. I have my suspicions who.

But I'll take you at your word. I've NEVER known you to lie. (that's a compliment, BTW, if the intent gets lost in the one-dimentional internet)

But have you NOTHING to say about my thread opener???? Amazing.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I assume that I am the 'one poster' and I admit that I have been rather strong in my comments at times, but then, you will admit, so have you!

It all began with me being an 'Israel firster' and then me being accused of being unpatriotic because of my defense of Israel, then with me not knowing Scripture, then with me not being able to correctly interpret Scripture, then with me being a typical lawyer with weasel words and such, and then it went downhill from there.

As I said the other day, there is no reason for us to answer each other's posts just to see how we can 'shuck and jive' each other.

If we can't agree that your interpretations of the Bible/Israel/practice of law are simply your opinions and not Holy Writ, and that my interpretations of the Bible/Israel/practice of law are simply my own opnions and not Holy Writ, then we really need to simply agree not to address or respond to each other.

You know like grade school teachers do to young boys on the school playground.

If that's what you wish, simply let me know.

So when I pull my head out of Mr. Sharon's butt long enough to see your response, I will abide by whatever you decide.

Eric The(AlwaysFair)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:51:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Just give me an address and I'll send the cheese.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Garandman, I know everything they say about you isn't true.

From my understanding Eric the Hun is a "JEW" and you have never once... said, you wanted to put him in an oven. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#13]
slouching into G-mans alcove......hello all...can I speak with HUNny for a moment?
Eric...do you remember yourself and I getting into last month? What was that about?
Game on----leaving the room.....
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Garandman, I can't be everywhere, nor can I read every thread and post therein.  If you were roughly treated in some threads and I failed to see it and lock the thread, my bad.
View Quote

[b]This pertains to all the various pissing matches:[/b]

What raf said above is the key point, there are a few guys that just keep things stirred up constantly so overtime we've pretty much tuned it out.  We may pop in on one of whoever's threads and read one or two things to see what level the pissing match is at but most of us don't have the time or patience to read every reply and cross reference every accusation.

As far as religion, politics, etc. is concerned, if you're steadfast in your cause then just state your points regarding whatever and avoid the petty, childish remarks aimed at others.

Many times when some of these threads are locked it done so because of the build up from previous threads, just consider it a cooling off period or something.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
[i]sigh[/i] [v]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I logged in here to get cheered up..... Do you think that was a bad idea?
View Quote

Yes, it probably was. [:D]

Edited to add a smiley, I don't want the others to think I truly meant that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
think of this place as an exercise in character-building. jesus had his cross, we have ar15 on a bad day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Without mentioning any names

unnamed individual

Tho since the Mod who DID lock it showed up out of nowhere, I suspect SOMEONE did. I have my suspicions who.
View Quote

A fairly weak way to make an argument, don't you think? If I have something to say to or about someone, I lay it all out and let the chips fall where they may.

Why don't you tell us who you suspect in calling the mods attention to your trolling and personal attack? Could it be because you don't have anything to back it up and don't know what you're talking about? I was the first on the locked thread to call a spade a spade, and you damned well know I'm right, regardless of what went on in the past. Ask raf who alerted him to that thread, why don't you? Maybe because unsupported, unsupportable, halfassed accusations are an easier, sleazier way to present your case? What a joke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top