Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2002 1:00:03 AM EDT
What are your three favorite DC Monuments/Memorials?

My list:
1) Jefferson Memorial - "I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

2) Lincoln Memorial - "...that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people by the people for the people shall not perish from the earth."

3) Arlington Cemetary.

I think the most popular right now is the Vietnam "Wall" Memorial. But personally, I have to say that a long list of names just doesn't strike a chord with me.

The founding principles of our nation that are written on the walls of the Jefferson & Lincoln memorials move me and affect me much deeper.

And the beautiful and sacred ground of Arlington is where the sacrifices of all our fallen soldiers and fellow Americans put that hollow, "thousand-mile stare" on my face for every single moment I'm there.

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:07:16 AM EDT
[#1]
1.The White House.
2.The Capitol Building
3.Jefferson Memorial/George Washington Memorial

Edited to say:(I know the 1st two aren't monuments but they
are icons that represent our country)
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The National Archives
Washington Monument
Robert E. Lee's Lawn

Air and Space Museum for Museum's
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Osprey,

You know your stuff!....There was a place on 17th St. I think it was called "Club 1776".... Man O Man! [beer]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Vietnam Memorial
2. Korean War Memorial
3. Lincoln Monument

Gotta disagree with The_Mac. Vietnam Memorial may be a wall of names, but its the emotion that it evokes that makes it #1 for me. Its more the other people that are remembering friends, family and comrades, than the Wall itself. I also love the Statue!

Korean War Memorial is a rather recent addition. For those who haven't seen it, its a portrayal of a platoon on patrol, consisting of a number of sculptures spread out in a plot of grass. At night, from a distance, the lighting makes it very 'haunting'. It is surrounded by a black marble wall which has been lightly etched with scenes from Korea, almost a holographic effect.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's how it breaks down for me....

1. The Vietnam memorial
2. All the rest of them.

OK  OK "all the rest" of them breaks down this way...

2. Arlington
3. Smithsonian
4. All the rest of them.

I can see what yer sayin' Mac that "The founding principles of our nation that are written on the walls of the Jefferson & Lincoln memorials move me and affect me much deeper."

And can agree. Maybe not so much on Lincol (see below)

But the Vietnam memorial to me gets top billing for two reasons:

1. Over all the others (but Arlington) becasue of what happened to me when I was trying to photograph it. I realized there was an aura, a spirit there that could NEVER be captured on film. It was a truly moving experience.

2. Over Arlington because of the comparison between the two. Arlington represents men who died fighting for their country (except for teh Nam casulaties) Vietnam represents men who died because their country fought against them. The injustice perpetrated on our Vietnam vets is too immense for words - or photographs. An injustice perpetrated during and after the war.

(NOT intended to diminish Arlington, just to distinguish the Vietnam Memorial.

NOT a big fan of Lincoln, as he put the "Federal" in federal gov't (the US ceased being the "several states" because of him) As such, you can trace many of our problems today to Honest Abe. (my $0.02, YMMV.)

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1) Good Guys

2) Archibalds

3) Camelot Show Bar

[:P]

You read my mind.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
hands down the vietnam Memorial

for the longest time i didnt know i lost some relates in the Vietnam war until me and my parents went to the wall and looked up his name.

very powerfull emotionoly draining place

close second would be arlington

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#10]
1. Capital Building
2. Supreme Court Building
3. Lincoln Memorial

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:08:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Vietnam Memorial, hands down...
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#13]
1)Arlingon National cemetary [left]2)Vietnam War Memorial[/left][left]3)Korean War Memorial[/left] [left]When I see all those names, I think: These people died for ME. It has moved me to tears more than once.[/left]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top