Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I can fully understand and appreciate the angst regarding products made in China but in my experience it's hard for me to blame companies that move production out of the US.

You need look no further than the Federal govt. as the root cause. Companies aren't moving solely because of labor costs and unions, federal regulations are so burdensome that they make it next to impossible to do business in the US. The large companies will continue to move out and smaller companies will just go under.

I own a small company and would move in heart beat if it was feasible. The federal regulations that we have to keep track of and adhere to are absolutely mind numbing. These regulations (CFRs) do nothing to better our pruduct or service, they only hinder creativity and growth. Personally, I can't wait to retire and tell the fed.gov to fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Irony...

Everyone bitching about this is typing on computers that are made nowhere near the US or on mobile phones/devices made in Asia.

Were they ever ?

I mean , there's a world of difference in talk and comparisons of hand tools and electronics now

Apples and oranges buddy.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Since much of Craftsman's tools are Chinese, you might as well go with the less expensive HF tools if you want inexpensive tools.

You're assuming that the quality of all Chinese tools - regardless of manufacturer - is the same.

In reality, the quality of their tools (and most other items made in China) varies considerably by manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Any one using Cornwell?   I've thought about getting some.  I'm in the market for a 3/4 inch socket set.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

How are Kobalt tools?  Are they made in the US?

I don't know if this is corporate wide, but our store/district is clearing out all of our US made Kobalt stuff and it looks like Taiwan stuff is taking it's place.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It took me forever to find a US made hammer.  Got an Estwing.

And bud, that's a damn fine hammer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Snap-On.
/thread.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Sears will be out of the tool business in less than 2 years.

Impeach Obama for the Good of those that need to Eat.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
There's now way you can make products like that in the US anymore.  It's just not competitive.

Embrace the change.  Your children can now get free insurance from your employer until they are 26 years old, the Chinese children cannot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:03:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I gave up on Craftsman a long time ago.

Kobalt, Husky and Harbor Freight fills my toolbox nowadays
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#12]
If you only bought Craftsman tools because they were American made, I can understand your beef.  If you think that just because something is made in China that it is crap, you are badly mistaken.  The Chinese make a lot of cheap crap but they also make a whole lot of high end electronics too.  Do you really think that they couldn't make good tools as well, if their American customers demanded it?

Not everything made in China is crap, and it's certainly true that not everything made in America is high quality.  The free market will determine the best cost/quality ratio, and if Sears/Craftsman suffers in quality their competitors will take advantage of that fact.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
OP, I agree with you absolutely completely. I only buy tools that I plan to use on rare occasions at Harbor Freight. The staples I want to come from the US. I couldn't have phrased your post any better than you did. I don't see myself darkening Sears' door anytime soon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Craftsman just melded into the other Chicom brands and became irrelevant.  Now they have to be competitive with the other low end players.  With the fall of the dollar and our financial war with China just beginning what a silly time to commit brand suicide.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got what I thought was a nice Craftsman tool kit from Sears over Christmas, went to use the 1/2 drive ratchet and it broke the first time I tried to use it. And I wasn't even starting to pull hard on it.  So I took it back expecting to get a "new" ratchet, NOPE!!!!  I got a 10 year old refurb

Hell i'd rather have the 10 year old refurb. i feel like the older ratchets are better quality.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:40:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm only surprised that they weren't already made in China.  I'm so sick of this shit that I don't even know what to say about it anymore.  Pretty soon our children will be made in China.

Since 2000, US citizens have adopted more babies (approximately 90% female) from China than any other country.

Not necessarily a bad thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Check out the "Craftsman" tools catalog, has tools from at least 20 other companies in it
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the snap on truck will get alot more of my paycheck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#19]

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

Here's a site that lists made in U.S.A. tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I have found very cheap deals on Craftsman USA Made toolson EvilBay.  Their out there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I broke a 3/8 drive ratchet a few weeks ago and went to a sears around here to get it replaced.  When I took it to the desk they gave me a older 3/8 ratchet that had new insides but the outsides were all pitted from corrosion.  The ratchet looked like they blasted off the bad areas and did not even re-plate it.  I did complain and got them to open the cabinet and replace it with a brand new one.

The problem I had with my broken ratchet is the selector lever broke off from poor fitting inside the body.  The selector would wear it self on the case every time you would move it.  I am not sure but I believe the selectors are plastic now instead of metal.  Not sure might be metal injection molding?  Anyway they are flimsy.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Irony...

Everyone bitching about this is typing on computers that are made nowhere near the US or on mobile phones/devices made in Asia.

The reason people paid Craftsman prices over those of Harbor Freight is because they were US made tools.

Now what's the point?

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Danaher makes some Sears stuff and they're made in USA.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe that S-K hand tools are still made in the USA but their air tools are made across the pond somewhere.
I also think that Klein hand tool that are sold in the US are made in the US and the ratchets and sockets look just like S-K tools.
Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:04:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I am not sure but I believe the selectors are plastic now instead of metal.  Not sure might be metal injection molding?  Anyway they are flimsy.

Not sure either. My old ratchet is worn and looks to have a brass selector.

Link Posted: 5/14/2011 10:29:14 PM EDT
[#26]
this sucks, i have over 2k in craftsman tools and they are all older,

the new ones, i have seen have broken on me with normal wear, and little use.

i have been looking to buy some new tools, guess who will not be getting any of my money, SEARS.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Sears will be out of the tool business in less than 2 years.

Impeach Obama for the Good of those that need to Eat.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:08:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Proto are good commercial grade tools made in USA and usually are cheaper than SnapOn but they don't have all the bling high polish and triple chrome plating. They are not as easy to come by though usually you can get them in industrial supply shops which can be difficult if you work days. Internet outlets work pretty good too if you can wait the shipping time.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Blame K-Mart

When they bought Sears...they dropped most of the Craftsman distributors and then dropped the contract with Danaher who made Craftsman for 60+ years ...and then outsourced them to China.  

Also....blame the US consumer for not wanting to spend a few bucks more to buy Made in the USA.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#30]
O.P. where ya been?
Livin' under a rock?
Most all everyday things we all take for granted are now made in China!

I was relieve to find the big bag of Beer Nuts Brand Bar Mix Snacks I recently bought is still made in Bloomington Illinois and not in China, but the rumor is,,,,sadly, they may be goin' too,,,,
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Snap-On.
/thread.

Snap On also makes quite a few of their tools in China.  

Most of their steel forgings come in from China for the USA made tools as well

suprise.

Chinese quality with a premium price.  Watch the slide of Snap on...it is coming

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:23:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Been a Craftsman user (home owner and car tinker) for 30 years. If this is true I will not buy another Craftsman wrench.
Albiet, I have a shitload to tide me over...but I'll buy something else.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Sears is owned by K-Mart.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#34]
We have no one to blame but ourselves...

We buy the cheapest we can find so retailers are always looking to shave .05% of cost to "pass the savings on to you.." along with shitty products, and piss poor CS to boot.

We have outsourced all our manufacturing to drive costs down and now everything we by comes off a slow boat from China. I have tools that are craftsman that are older than I am, nothing stops these tools. Never broke one yet.   I have broke a butt load of new craftsman tools, they always give me a new one but its bull that I got to stop and exchange it. Build a better "american made" product charge twice as much for it and I will buy it while smile ear to ear.  NOTHING worth owning comes from China.  Our family goes out of our way to buy AMERICAN PRODUCTS as much as humanly possible,  sometimes it costs more and you cant whip in Wallyworld and just pick up whatever.  But the american way of life is worth the extra work.

I love how everyone is all vocal about supporting the Country and the American set of values. But when it comes to spending their money, they are all about supporting Korea, China, Japan, Columbia, Venezuela, etc...  And will argue that they are a better product cheaper.  Who cares if they are using child labor or it breaks in a week.  I remember when Levi jeans where made in the US they would last forever and now you were are wearing a whole in the knee after a week at work.

Patriot every single one of them......

Rant over ...
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
1.  Welcome to 5 years ago
2.  Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it isn't equal to or superior to made in the USA.

Your drugs where do you buy them?
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Its all about keeping control of the quality. Our company buys fabricated metal parts from overseas and domestic. The china vendors, once they get it right after an initial period have better quality than their American counterparts. A better defect to part count ratio. One of the reasons for this is cheap labor, they'll have quite a few people doing what a fewer number of American's would be doing. So one person's job could be just to check the measurement at point x, or this guys job is to run a tap through this hole, where here it would be part of one person's responsibility to do multiple tasks. But when running their businesses they are capitalistic, so they'll put as few of people on a project as possible to maximize labor (even tho its already cheap), and pretty much in all situations they'll do it as cheap as possible so its up to the purchasing business to insist upon putting people on quality checks and hold the Chinese to high standards.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:47:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Ps......another party to blame are US Unions
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Danaher makes some Sears stuff and they're made in USA.  

I used to work for the company that made all those plastic cases for Craftsman Tools. Danaher was one of a few different companies that made them. About every 3-5 years the contract came up for bid. Thats part of the reason you would see some changes in some of the tool designs or packaging. Danaher, Stanley/Proto, and American Forge were all the makers of Craftsman tools at one time or the other.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Ps......another party to blame are US Unions

And so it begins....
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We have no one to blame but ourselves...

We buy the cheapest we can find so retailers are always looking to shave .05% of cost to "pass the savings on to you.." along with shitty products, and piss poor CS to boot.

We have outsourced all our manufacturing to drive costs down and now everything we by comes off a slow boat from China. I have tools that are craftsman that are older than I am, nothing stops these tools. Never broke one yet.   I have broke a butt load of new craftsman tools, they always give me a new one but its bull that I got to stop and exchange it. Build a better "american made" product charge twice as much for it and I will buy it while smile ear to ear.  NOTHING worth owning comes from China.  Our family goes out of our way to buy AMERICAN PRODUCTS as much as humanly possible,  sometimes it costs more and you cant whip in Wallyworld and just pick up whatever.  But the american way of life is worth the extra work.

I love how everyone is all vocal about supporting the Country and the American set of values. But when it comes to spending their money, they are all about supporting Korea, China, Japan, Columbia, Venezuela, etc...  And will argue that they are a better product cheaper.  Who cares if they are using child labor or it breaks in a week.  I remember when Levi jeans where made in the US they would last forever and now you were are wearing a whole in the knee after a week at work.

Patriot every single one of them......

Rant over ...

well said and all true
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:16:00 AM EDT
[#41]
It's not fun to try and screw in a cheap chinese screw using a china screwdriver.  One of them always strips.  I have som old craftsman wrenches that were my Dad's. They look brand new and work just like the day he bought them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I was part of a lean six sigma team at my job. One of the areas that we looked at for improvement was our tool program. We have 100,000 plus hand tools just at our airfield. The tools we use are snap on, the newer snap on tools are junk. Their ratchets don't hold up. The 1/4 " ratchets are really crappy made! And snap-on customer service really sucks! Snap-on tools are not as high of quality as they were ten years ago. The bad thing is when we break a screwdriver , the just give you a new shaft to install in the handle. The days of them giving you a new complete screwdriver is gone!
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Just wondering about the bigger picture of world economics and conflicting political views.  When all of a countries ability to manufacture essential goods are lost (shipped off and technology given away), their financial ability compromised because the bulk of their debt is held by others (especially an enemy), what happens if the 'other' country pulls the plug.  
For those of you who think it can/will never happen, read the blueprint by Lenin and others regarding world domination.  Not hard to crash the system at this point.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#44]
I don;t buy made in China crap for tools.

Sears can keep their crap....
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I was part of a lean six sigma team at my job. One of the areas that we looked at for improvement was our tool program. We have 100,000 plus hand tools just at our airfield. The tools we use are snap on, the newer snap on tools are junk. Their ratchets don't hold up. The 1/4 " ratchets are really crappy made! And snap-on customer service really sucks! Snap-on tools are not as high of quality as they were ten years ago. The bad thing is when we back a screwdriver , the just give you a new shaft to install in the handle. The days of them giving you a new complete screwdriver is gone!

I live about 5 miles from Snap On tools " World Headquarters ", Kenosha, Wi. .
What a joke that is, yes, they have there corporate offices here, but they closed
the manufacturing plant years ago. Most was sent to China and Mexico, they do
have a plant on the north side of Milwaukee still, my neighbor next door works there.

He tells me they get stampings from China there to assemble ratchets there, not sure
what all they do there, but there stamping plant was in Kenosha before closing. The real
pisser is they did'nt keep a lid on the prices, still paying big bucks for a semi quality tool
that you can get at Harbor Freight.

It was " about the share holders and our duty to turn a profit  by realigning our assembly
process "  so now people complain about the quality of there product and still pay premium
money for there tools . And we lost about 5,000 really good jobs that paid well .
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Went to Sears for a set of craftsman deep offset wrenches, low and behold they are made China, asked the guy working that dept when this happened, he said they are replacing current USA made with China made, told him keep your Chinese crap, I can go to Harbor Freight for Chinese tools, when I buy the Craftsman name I expect quality USA made product. I went to another Sears and found the last set of USA made, so I purchased those.

Sears is making a mistake with this profit inducing idea, most tradesman will take notice, and I hope they do what I did and tell them to stick their Chinese crap up their ass !!

If I'm going to buy dollar store stuff I expect and accept made in china, but some items I will not accept made in china, don't care about it being made to spec, the Chinese will tell you anything, people have to get on board with this concept, just remember how the USA got to be so great, we are loosing it.

That's how I feel, you need not agree, call me an "old head" and ignorant about economics, but I've been around long enough to know better.

I am with you 100% on this.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If you only bought Craftsman tools because they were American made, I can understand your beef.  If you think that just because something is made in China that it is crap, you are badly mistaken.  The Chinese make a lot of cheap crap but they also make a whole lot of high end electronics too.  Do you really think that they couldn't make good tools as well, if their American customers demanded it?

Not everything made in China is crap, and it's certainly true that not everything made in America is high quality.  The free market will determine the best cost/quality ratio, and if Sears/Craftsman suffers in quality their competitors will take advantage of that fact.

Maybe, but since I have NEVER seen a Chinese tool that wasn't a piece of sh**........I have some doubts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It took me forever to find a US made hammer.  Got an Estwing.

And bud, that's a damn fine hammer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Dead On tools.  Nice tools and I believe they are all American made.
And I'm not liking the Chinese Craftsman stuff.  My dad bought me two sets of Craftsman tools years ago that I still have.
Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:50:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Seriously....

Sears really has some idiots in the marketing department.
These clowns have taken an iconic brand name in tools that represented high quality and value and simply trashed it.

I mean "EVOLV"....I'm buying a fucking rachet, not a hybrid car.
Why does Sears need another line of hand tools????

Made in China...how is Sears not much different than China Freight now..

For fucks sake...Kmart was never worth a shit...and surprise, surprise, now Sears really is NOT worth a shit!!!!

For the love of God, all that is Holy, and for destroying what used to be my favorite brand of tools the senior management who made these decisions should have been fired yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 6:51:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1.  Welcome to 5 years ago
2.  Just because it's made in China doesn't mean it isn't equal to or superior to made in the USA.

Usually it does. When I look for quality I'd rather not gamble on something Chinese being worth a dam. That said you are correct that not all cheap Chinese stuff is poor quality. I bought a $350 Buffalo Tools generator for a spare. Little thing works great and doing some research found out the engine is a perfect Honda clone. The Chinese build decent stuff when they take the time to copy it correctly.

FWIW I buy the Husky line at Home Depot and have for years. They are mostly made by Stanley in the USA.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top