Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Kent, interest rates are what controls the economies growth.  Want to bolster the economy you lower rates, want to slow down economy you raise rates.  These two actions will increase investment spending or lower it.  Who do you think appoints the FOMC chairman?  Who raises and lowers the rates? FOMC

Greenspan was a big catalyst in this downturn, but he wasn't the only one involved. Greenspan was in too big of a hurry to slow down this economy by raising rates in late 2000.  This resulted in a massive decrease in investment spending. I like some of things BUSH has done, but all in all he is a dud just like all the other politicians in America.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Kent, interest rates are what controls the economies growth.  Want to bolster the economy you lower rates, want to slow down economy you raise rates.  These two actions will increase investment spending or lower it.  Who do you think appoints the FOMC chairman?  Who raises and lowers the rates? FOMC

Greenspan was a big catalyst in this downturn, but he wasn't the only one involved. Greenspan was in too big of a hurry to slow down this economy by raising rates in late 2000.  This resulted in a massive decrease in investment spending. I like some of things BUSH has done, but all in all he is a dud just like all the other politicians in America.  
View Quote

So you are saying that tax policy has nothing to do with economic growth?  The fed does have lots of control, but tax policy also can play a role in sustained growth.

Edit:  going to star wars, so can't respond.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#3]
DFAR,

No, "we are not investigating all the middle eastern people hanging around and boarding flights".  That's riduculous.

You're arguement that "If the flight schools were investigated, there would have been no reason for shutting down the airports because we would have stopped them right there" is a wonderful example of 20/20 vision after the fact.  

Be honest, if someone would have brought such a stupid report ("knowledge of flight training - learn how to fly a plane, not land it") to you prior to 9/11 you would have blown it off I'd bet.  

Don't count on the fact that I am living in Texas as being a reason to defend Bush.  That's the kind of uncreative, single-minded, generalist thinking that has you believing everything that you read in the headlines.

Another example - "How do you bankrupt a oil company?"  Why would you think that all oil companies are such pillars of business?  Do you have a clue what it takes to produce that barrel of oil that sells for $20 a barrel?  A barrel has 42 gallons of oil in it - unprocessed oil.  Start comparing that to the pint bottle of raspberry flavored water that you buy at the grocery store.  Your stereotypes and generalities make weak arguements.  

Has anyone notice ever actually meet a republican that thinks the votes should have been counted ONE MORE TIME in Florida???  I doubt DFAR is one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The economic growth period of the 1990s was due to low interest rates and high consumer confidence.

After clinton was elected to office Greenspan made an agreement with billy. If billy would do something about the extremely high national debt that built up fighting the cold war and the gulf war, Greenspan would be friendly with interest rates. Clinton raised taxes to make it look like the the Govt. was getting its house in order and Greenspan brought down interest rates both increased  consumer confidence.

Bill clinton did not have to finance a cold war or a gulf war. As I understand it he did not replace any weapons he used in any of his side shows either.

Bill clinton just happened to be in the WH when other factors made the economy boom.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So you are saying that tax policy has nothing to do with economic growth?  The fed does have lots of control, but tax policy also can play a role in sustained growth.

Edit:  going to star wars, so can't respond.
View Quote

interest rates affect the AMOUNT OF MONEY IN CIRCULATION, so does the tax policies.

DFAR, i never called you an democrat.  never.  frankly it doesn't matter.  you ask a question.  you don't get the answer you like, so you resort to profanity.  very mature.

as for me proving that bush is innocent...NEWSFLASH:  this is the U.S. of A. where the premise (though unfortunately, not necessarily always the practice) is "innocent until proven guilty."  the burden of proof is upon your shoulders, dude.

Quoted:
I quoted what was said in all newspapers all news stations, it was printed in giant bold letters, theres my proof jackass
View Quote

so you're saying that because something was printed in the newspaper "in giant bold letters" that it's fact????????  are you that naive or just that stupid?

Quoted:
I would rather have Clinton in office and be living in a great economy and equity market than have someone like Bush who rants around like a little indian on a war path. BTW, where is Osama Bin Laden? I thought Bush was going too get him? When will we ever get a good president with brains and morals?
View Quote

the economy started hitting the skids in early 2000 smarty-pants.  long before bush had any way to affect the economy.

let me get this straight:  you would rather have clinton (or gore) as prez as long as the economy was good, but you don't care diddly squat about foreign invaders killing innocent civilians and you actually think bush is wrong for retaliating against the guilty parties?  is this what you're saying?

"btw, where is osama bin laden?"  hellooooooo!!!!!!  if it weren't for the assinine actions of your "great economic president", we'd have had his ass in the can already.  clinton is the reason osama was free to continue attacks against america!

you think clinton had brains?  morals?  good god, this country is lost.  i believe you guys now.  would someone put me outta my misery.  it's sickening to hear people praise such an obvious lying sack of shit who'd say anything or do anyone for his own personal or political agenda.  yeah, that's someone i look up to.  guess it just goes to show you the character of those who follow him.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Nine times out of ten, in the arts as in life, there is actually no truth to be discovered; there is only error to exposed.

H L Mencken

That sums the whole thing up for me, so I say look and discover but don't get caught up in a search for the truth.
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#7]
ARLady, I never praised Clinton, all I said was that he was at the helm of the greatest growth period of the nation.  What truely has Bush done during his term in office?  You people think he is a God or something, which I don't understand.  BTW, AR-Lady the federal reserve controls the money circulation by the issueing of bonds or buybacks.  Try too get your facts straight the next time!    
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top