User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 8:25:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
... I say no.

[url]http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/AmericanIdeal/aspects/demrep.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
He is incorrect. We live in a constitutional republic.

In a democracy, any tyrrany that 51% of the people agree on is the law of the land.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He is incorrect. We live in a constitutional republic.

In a democracy, any tyranny that 51% of the people agree on is the law of the land.
View Quote

As opposed to US where any tyranny that the government agrees with is the law of the land.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#4]
 That was the original intention. Men moved by the Spirit of God wrote a document that was intended first to honor Him, and second protect the people under it from the tyranny the were escaping.
 America is now run by corporations using its military and domestic police agencies in a policy of "Manifest Destiny" here and abroad.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As opposed to US where any tyranny that the government agrees with is the law of the land.
View Quote

A people generally get the government they deserve.

Or, said another way, people will always get just as much tyranny as they will tolerate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A people generally get the government they deserve.

Or, said another way, people will always get just as much tyranny as they will tolerate.
View Quote

Couldnt have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Jarhead is absolutely correct.  I absolutely love getting into discussions about liberty, the government etc., and explaining to people that we do not live in a democracy.  Their initial reaction is total disbelief, argument etc.  Then when I explain most people can understand why that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:59:54 AM EDT
[#9]
its a republic based on an oligarchy

chuck also doesn't like assault weapons and has said several times that no one needs an sks/ak47  [they scare him]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are in an argument with an older person, just get them to say the [i]Pledge of Allegiance[/i].  Boom argument over[:)].  Younger people don't seem to be able to say it anymore[:(].
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Good discussion.

I'd say we live NOT in a representative democracy, but in a Constitutional democratic republic.

"Constitutional" because contrary to Washington- think, we indeed do have a Constitution.

"Democratic" because at least locally, we do determine policy via "50% + 1 individual" referendum-type votes.

"Republic" becasue we elect representatives.

All three types of gov'ts are represented in present day America.

We DO NOT have a pure republic. Otherwise, we'd never have local referendum votes.

And even our representatives so closely follow the polls and the winds of public opinion RATHER THAN being leaders and standing on principle, the principles we elected them on, as representatives in a true republic would, that even the "republic" charachteristics are morphing into "the will of the majority" democracy.

So we have a sort of mix breed, mutant, hybrid form of gov't.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top