Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 7:39:39 AM EDT
Took my 10 hr class yesterday for my CHL in Texas.

I am scared.

More than half the people in that class were there as security gaurds, already carrying while in uniforms.  

These people are fucking morons.

One girl actually said, why should I get a chl, there's too many laws to remember where I can carry it.  Although she said it in ebonics.

Unfortunatly, my language skills are not developed enough to adequately describe the people in this class.

However, the guy I sat next too, 21 yr old hispanic kid, told me he could do the 40 yd dash in 8 secs....

Which, as he says, is pretty fast for a 485 lb man.  That's right 485.  He said he lost 35lbs, and is usually 520.  

But, good news, he only has 3 more months of unemployment.  Imagine my suprise when he told me he has a new Beretta 92fs in inox, but doesn't like the double action pull, so he's gonna get another, even though he just bought this on a month ago.  He was sad that he missed the Laker's gamen, but it's ok, he has tivo.  Fortunately, his brand new celphone only went off  2 or 3 times during class.  Amazingly enough, he was one of the guys I would have rather had the chl, than some of the others.

Freaking scary!!!

On a side note, DAMN!  I missed the 5 spot on 2 younds, so I only scored 248 out of 250 on the qual. Part.

60 Days!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait

WL

Link Posted: 5/19/2002 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#2]
When I renewed mine there was a guy in the class who was shocked to find out that he had to pay $140 to the state for the CHL. He thought the price of the class covered the license fee. He and his wife were both taking the class and he started complaining that he was going to be out almost $600. Then his wife started laughing and said, "and you still have to buy me a gun".
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
TxLewis,

60 days? Yeah right.
I sent mine November 22, 2001 got it March 4, 2002.

My class had very few strange folks in there, other than a guy who insisted on shooting magnums from his .357 and barely passed the shooting portion.

Good shooting. I was nervous and got hot brass in my shirt collar about 6 times. It kept hanging in the same spot on my chest and by the end of class had a blister about 3/4 of an inch long....hmmm about the size of the 9mm brass from the guy who shot next to me.
I only shot 233. I wish I had my Springfield V-10 then, it's a bit more accurate than my Kp90

Congrats on getting through it....

Be patient

BTW, my bride had to have her fingerprints redone but they gave her 30 days to do it...
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The really scary part is seeing the other people on the shooting range. I think that about 80% of my classmates had firearm problems that the instructor had to address for them.

I remember in my first class the instructor asked if anyone had a Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, etc. He was worried that they wouldn't last the 50 rounds for qualification. He then told us that he did have one student with a shit gun that did make it through the qualification. He told that student that his pistol was defective and he should send it back because it actually worked! [shock]
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:48:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My first class was  a mix. 4 Doctors, a photographer, a college kid, a xerox salesman, 2 security guards, a retired sheffif deputy and myself. The worst  shots were the security, then the retired deputy. Too rushed, they actually missed the target. That is scarey, if you do not hit what you intended, then by definition you will hit that which you did not intend.
I keep used skill saw blades,hang them from branches in the back yard at different distances then use a gamo air pistol to engage the targets. My kids enjoy this little exercise also.
Sight picture+decision to fire+ trigger control
=consistant hits..........Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
When I took my renewal I was the only one in the class. The other four folks didnt show up. I had a retired DPS trooper teaching the class and we went over the material as he told war stories. Best class I've ever had.

I shot a 248 on the qual only because my target blew down as I fired the last shot. I thought that was pretty good considering the guy shooting a Kel Tek was bouncing hot brass off my shooting glasses and the Taurus PT945 hammer bit me so bad I was bleeding.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I took my CHL class at Collin County Gun Range, and when Phil Ryan found out I was a Marine he used me as the crash test dummy in the "less than lethal" force portion of the class. My buddy and I had to show probably 5 or 6 of the 20 people in the class how to load, lubricate or operate the safety on their weapons. Some of those guns were so nasty and carboned up that they looked like they had never been cleaned. With the obvious lack of familiarity some displayed with their weapons, that was probably the case.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My class had fairly normal people I guess. Mainly elderly folks. Had a good discussion on weapons and different calibers. Even had a retired criminal lawyer that let his CHL lapse and had to re-take the class as a newbie. He was a wealth of info regarding shooting lawsuits. There is this one girl that had just bought a Ruger that day before the class. So when it came time for the proficiency test, she did not know how to operate the firearm. I don't think she passed.

I mailed mine off at the end of March and the return reciept said that it was recv on the 4th of April. So I guess I should get it around early to mid July.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top