Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2002 5:35:27 PM EDT
hi all,

was wondering if amy members also had a g3 or g3 clone.  i am looking for accessories for mine.  i would like a wide forearm and a new buttstock.  and maybe a few other things.  websites would be great.

thanks a lot
lojack
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I got G3s like you wouldn't believe...

[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0LAAAAC0OVip3nI2m!wjeFlxdJwd1KaPTj30iphkc0nMXpatHlebR5AJOMfT7E6PoAk7lWuAb1Lw/hk06.JPG[/img]

I'm guessing you probably DON'T have a G3 (select fire) but rather probably have a postban HK91 clone.

On a lot of them like the current Springfield SAR8 and the Centurian 99 a wide forearm won't fit.

Who made yours? I'll see if I can help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
man that is one sweet rifle. i have a springfield sar-8.  it already has green furniture on it with a slim forearm on it.  it is pretty light and it hasnt misfired at all.  i would like to turn it into a seriou tact driver.  my finall pic of it will have a new barrel, wide forearm, tact grip, new buttstock, and trigger job.  i was also wondering if the clap style scope mount will fit mine.  i am having trouble finding a mount that is tall enough with the current rail system.  it is nice, but gotta find the extra-high mounting rings.

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So you have the newer Springfield SAR8 with the milled aluminum receiver and integral weaver rail on top right?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SAR-8 with a milled receiver and rail. I would like to add a wide forearm with a tripod.

Go or No Go?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet Rile Mr Aug.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
JIMBEAM & lojack,

I only tell you this to help you, please remember that.

DO NOT put too much money into these rifles.

Several years ago the Springfield SAR8 was a genuine HK contract rifle made by Hellenic Arms, the Greek HK contract factory. Springfield only stamped their name on it as the importer. Unfortunately this rifle was banned from importation during the Clinton Regeme.

What you guys have is the NEW SAR8, which unfortunately is the Federal Arms milled receiver, built at Century Arms (CAI) with very used G3 parts kits. They are only being sold under the Springfield name. Springfield makes no part of this rifle. Springfield seems to be doing everything they can as of late to dammage their reputation.

These guns are no better than the Century Arms crap G3s.

A Wide forearm will NOT fit as the milled receiver is oversized. Be glad, the stamped receivers from CAI are crap and stress fracture. The milled receiver has yet to show signs of pipe bomb potential.

lo jack, forget about the tack driver. The barrels on all these guns are pretty well spent when they are "supposedly" new in the box. A trigger job from williams would be a waste as a result. The tac grip would be for looks.

These are shooters at best.

And as you discovered mounts and rings are a pain in the ass for this one.

If you wanna get into budget accurate semis, sell the SAR8s and get DSA FALs.

Editted to add: lojack DO NOT buy the new CNC barrels offered by FAC and CAI for this gun. They are horribly bad. They are also far enough out of spec to fail the gun. Among other things the flutes in the chamber are too deep and the brass impresses into them causing the casing to lock into the chamber.

Needless to say this causes serious extraction/feed problems.

And no there are NOT any replacement barrels that do NOT suck currently available.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
SteyrAUG,

i had called springfield and the production date on the rifle was 10-12-99.  so i dont know if it is the new model that you are talking about.  i hope not lol.  yes the mounts are a pain to find.  the normal hign mounts arent high enough.  might just go with a peep sight.  are there any barrels out there that are worth the money?

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SteyrAUG,

i had called springfield and the production date on the rifle was 10-12-99.  so i dont know if it is the new model that you are talking about.  i hope not lol.  yes the mounts are a pain to find.  the normal hign mounts arent high enough.  might just go with a peep sight.  are there any barrels out there that are worth the money?

thanks
lojack
View Quote

Unfortunately it is.

The previous SAR8 was a stamped receiver with NO integral rail made in Greece and "imported by SA"

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top