Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2002 9:13:52 AM EDT
This is a question for anyone who has parachuting rigging exp.
Will a 35' USGI MC1-1C be suitable to para sail with?This is a new chute(96 mgf date) and has never been jumped with.
I'm also interested in the dia.& working strength of the rope,I'm thinking about 300 -350 ft.will be long enough,but I have'nt a clue to the Dia./load cap. that will be needed.
I don't want to get myself or one of my buds killed,We are aware of the dangers involved in this type of fun,but I need the advice of someone skilled in Parachutes/Rigging to advise me in the equipment we will have to prepare before attempting this.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#1]
NEGATIVE!!! Parachutes are for descending...ParaSails are for Ascending...a friend of mine learned this the hard way...tried a Para-Commander as a Para-Sail...the tension from the tow vehicle caused the the tow line to break...you got it...they were using nylon line...launched his ass up and when he came down, he broke both legs!!!! The Stretch factor acted like a sling shot....
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes...The decending,We are thinking that when the towing is slowed/stopped the parachute will slowly fall,this is a steering type rig.
I must research this more,I was not aware of the different types of chutes.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend,
I do not want to have one of us to suffer the same fate.
                 Thank's
                 Jimmo
Capt.P.,Yes it is the C-10,with mods.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The paracommander was designed by a frenchman named "Lemionge" specifically for ascending while being towed. His design was modified to make it steerable, and larger drive slots for more forward speed.Thus was born the Paracommander and many of its copies. It could be revers engineered to make it usable as a parasail again. The problem with using any steerable parchute for parascending is it may decide to turn itself into the the ground and you with it.
Is the parachute you are talking about steerable? I am thinking its a newer version of a T-10 right. If it has a 7TU modification to make it non-steerable you would have to replace fabric on the steering slots and remove any steering lines.
Not having much forward speed it will not ascend well without a lot of boat and it will put huge stresses on the towing hardware because it will have tons of drag. You need to talk to parasail guys about that. I think they use something to gauge the tension in the system.
To sum up:NO. Not without a lot of mods and work. You cant just hook it up and go.It may work and you get lucky and not get hurt. You may also kill yourself.
BP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top