Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2002 10:44:24 AM EDT
[url]http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_1145302,00.html[/url]

[i]
The incident and ensuing detention all stemmed from a playground game of army-and-aliens -- Connor and six other boys rolled on the ground and pretended to shoot creatures, using their fingers as pretend weapons.

At least one other student and a playground monitor thought the March 25 game displayed "violent and aggressive behavior," said Mary Terch, executive director of elementary education for Cherry Creek Schools. All seven boys were brought inside to meet with Principal Darci Mickle.

The game violated the school's zero-tolerance policy against violence, she told them. The students signed an agreement earlier in the year saying they would follow school safety rules.

They would have to be punished.

[/i]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117224[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you say end? It seems like it's only the beginning!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The BS stops the day you die. I hope.

[i]...The students signed an agreement earlier in the year saying they would follow school safety rules.[/i]

A binding, contractual agreement w/a grade-school-aged [u]minor[/u]? How legal is [i]that[/i]?

Zero tolerance = zero intelligence.[heavy]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=117224[/url]
View Quote

poo poo
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Zero Tolerance policies are the refuge of imbecilic administrators and bureaucrats who don't want to take on the responsibility of making real judgements.  Instead they rely on cookie cutter rules, regulations and policies.  When someone questions them on the implementation of the policy in a certain case they get to wash their hands of it and say "My hands are tied, it's the policy."

As far as whether or not children can be legally bound by any contractual agreement...unless their parents signed the policy, the children ARE NOT legally bound by it.  Minors CANNOT, by statute and law enter into binding contractual agreements.  They are subject to laws and policies though.  The signature on the paper means nothing however.

All that is beside the point though, because zero tolerance policies are bogus, and when anyone actually tries to defend them in cases such as this or in cases like the high school honor student who was expelled and will not be allowed to graduate because someone spotted a couple of STEAK KNIVES left over from a camping trip in the back of his pick up truck, the idiocy of them becomes patently obvious.

Violence is different from play.  Violence occurs when one individual is subjected to the threat of direct injury.  Psychological violence is more difficult to ascertain, but potentiality cannot enter into it. Violence does, or does not occur. If the boys did not harm one another or any other child, then violence did not occur.

Like I;ve said before:  when I was in grammar school in the seventies, we used to routinely beat the hell out of one another at recess and walk away at the end of recess like best buddies.  Was it violent?  Sure, was it a crime?  Hell no.  No offense was truly given or taken.  We all entered into the brawl freely and essentially for recreation.  It was more like an unorganized boxing and wrestling club.  The only time anyone got into trouble was when blood was drawn.

If these liberal dolts have their way, in another generation or so, the US will not be able to field a credible army because even justifiable violence will be socially bred out of us.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]

The BS stops the day you die.
View Quote

SNORMAN , just make sure you don't go to hell. Your personal hell I think would be strapped into a dungeon with a 1000 Retarted Beauracrats surrounding you reading in toto every stupid rule that they have ever created.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The BS stops the day you die. I hope.

[i]...The students signed an agreement earlier in the year saying they would follow school safety rules.[/i]

A binding, contractual agreement w/a grade-school-aged [u]minor[/u]? How legal is [i]that[/i]?

Zero tolerance = zero intelligence.[heavy]
View Quote

Exactly! I had a conversation with a vice-principal of a high school over how the random searches are not legal even with the dammned form they make them sign.. He said he was forced to do it and does it as little as possible
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:04:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SNORMAN , just make sure you don't go to hell. Your personal hell I think would be strapped into a dungeon with a 1000 Retarted Beauracrats surrounding you reading in toto every stupid rule that they have ever created.

Ben
View Quote

Oh man... oh man.... [:X*]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top