Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2002 7:37:15 AM EDT
Caught the midnight show with a friend early this morning.  What a great flick.  Kid playing teenage Darth Vader could have done better in the first half of the movie but after that he rocked. Best of all the series so far I think and the puzzle pieces are starting to fit together connecting the original series with the new trilogy.  The best part of the movie though was Yoda toward the end.  There is nothing like seeing a movie like this the first night when no one knows what is going to happen.  The people in the theater were so excited, you would have thought you were at a playoff football game.  I won't say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for anyone.  Highly recommend it.  I went in just sure I was going to be disapointed like the last one but I was pleasently surprised.  

patsue
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah!  Yoda is a serious little package!  Talk about good things coming in small packages.... Yoda kicked ass!

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Just one question:

Does Jar Jar Binks die?!?!?!?! (please say yes)
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just one question:

Does Jar Jar Binks die?!?!?!?! (please say yes)
View Quote

Sorry...

but at least he's only in it for like 2 minutes and only has about 2 lines
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
At the point in the movie where you get to see the skills of Yoda..... When he arrived, everyone in the theatre cheered.  It was cool.  Things looked very dire for our other heroes.  When Yoda pulled out his light sabre, the place went nuts.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sorry...

View Quote

Meesa thinks that'sah 2see too manies.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You just knew ol' boy was going to have a bad day when Yoda showed up. Pretty mobile for a shrimp with a cane.....

But those battle scenes..... Wow!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry...

View Quote

Meesa thinks that'sah 2see too manies.
View Quote

Oh my gosh he's here!!!!

Die fiend!  Die!!!!!   [50]

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
From the Seattle Times' review:

[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/134454839_starwars16.html[/url]
"Finally: Yoda is completely digitally rendered this time, enabling him to do all kinds of cool stuff.  Whether this is a good thing depends on how exciting you consider a highly caffeinated frog wielding a glowstick to be."
View Quote

Eeeeeeek.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Which weapon would Yoda carry (after the Gov't bans and confiscates his "light-saber")an AK or AR variant? This is for all of you that miss the Jesus Christ carry thread.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Yoda would carry an Uzi.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yoda would carry an Uzi.
View Quote

Taking Yoda's stature in consideration, it would be a micro-Uzi. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From the Seattle Times' review:

[url]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/134454839_starwars16.html[/url]
"Finally: Yoda is completely digitally rendered this time, enabling him to do all kinds of cool stuff.  Whether this is a good thing depends on how exciting you consider a highly caffeinated frog wielding a glowstick to be."
View Quote

Eeeeeeek.
View Quote

I completely disagree with this.  Yoda carries the movie much more than even the real live actors.  
Yoda shows
Compassion
Strategic thinking
Generalship
Resourcefulness
Almost a little anger.
and some kick butt light sabre skills.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Boba Fett reminded me of the bully's toady from A Christmas Story.

Jango:
Boba: Heh heh heh...heh heh heh...

I also have to wonder something about the fact that Jango whacked his head on the way into Slave 1. Anyone think that this was a tribute to the blooper scene in Star Wars where the Stormtrooper (a clone of Jango remember) did the same thing? Perhaps it was an inside joke.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I saw the midnight show last night also.

HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AN AWESOME MOVIE!

Yoda is the frikken man. In the original trilogy you get no idea how frikken awesome he is!

Go see it!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't wait to see it! I hear the critics are ripping it, but I HATE the movies they like so thats that!
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  (pulls out surefire 6z and shines it in Darth Moron’s face) hey I got you with my light-saber.
[b]Darth Moron:[/b] Huh…Hey were you the guy with the gun?
[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  yes, that’s me
[b]Darth Moron:[/b] uh like the cops and the manager are looking for you, they uh say they have to check your gun and stuff and then you can go back to watch the movie. That’s what they did with my light-saber.
[b]Garryowen:[/b] Leaving a piece of wood is not the same thing as handing a real gun over to some minimum wage stranger.
[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  If the police want to talk to me they can come find me themselves.
[b]Darth Moron:[/b] uh duh uhm…(walks off)
View Quote

Way to represent gun-owners all over America. Thanx SOOOO much...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Purchased tickets online the other day.

I will be seeing the show at 10:10pm tonight, can't wait.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#19]
It was good, but not great.

*Less Jar Jar. This is good. I'm looking forward to Episode 3, when Anakin goes to the Dark Side and starts wearing a necklace strung with Jar Jar's ears.

*Natalie Portman is nice eye candy. Liked the midriff-baring outfit. Not as good as Carrie Fischer's slave bikini, but still tasty.

*Good SFX on the asteroids. Much improved over Empire.

*Decent story telling. Lucas in the last couple films was seduced by the dark side; since he owns the toy rights for the series, he has incentives to show stuff intended for the kids, then sell it at Toys R Us. Thus we got Ewoks. He kept that in check this time.

*Good battle scenes between the droids and the clones and Jedi.

*I didn't think the light saber battles were up to the standard of the Darth Maul climactic fight scene of the last movie. Best.Lightsaber.Battle.Ever.

*Hayden Christianson was a bit awkward. He was too much of a teenage punk, and his dark side wasn't entirely convincing.

*They really need a swashbuckling Han Solo character. Han Solo is, from an objective viewpoint, the greatest character ever.

I'd rate the series as follows:

1. Empire
2. Star Wars
3. Clone Wars
4. Jedi
5. Phantom
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 3:43:27 PM EDT
[#20]
man that was a bad ass movie
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Went to see the show today here in OKC. I liked but, I didn't like the part about Yoda at the end the guy can't even walk with a cane much less do all that stuff.

It did have a lot more action in it than the last one.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Went to see the show today here in OKC. I liked but, I didn't like the part about Yoda at the end the guy can't even walk with a cane much less do all that stuff.

It did have a lot more action in it than the last one.  
View Quote

Someone else mentioned that in another forum and I wonder if since he's supposed to have a lot of the force within him maybe he used the force to do all the stuff in the movie...doesn't do it a lot since it can tire you...

Haven't seen the movie but I did kind of think it was funny hearing how he was like an awesome fighter...however my buddy told me he read in a comic adaptation what happened.  Didnt think of the cane until recently.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#24]
It's not about you open carrying. It's about you making guns owners look like irresponsible children WHILE YOU ARE ARMED...

Scott

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Good movie, kinda depressing though to know that in episode III there is likely going to be even more heartbreak for Anakin.    That's my take on it really, great movie and all but it was a bit dark and I'm betting Episode III will be even darker.   After all we do know what is going to happen or events that need to take place inorder for it to tie in with Episode IV.

That said, I thought I spied some "THO"(titty hard on) with Senator OHMYGOLLY! in that scene that was mentioned earlier.    Though I've heard reports of her being caught topless on some european beach, something for you internet surfers to check into I'm sure.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It's not about you open carrying. It's about you making guns owners look like irresponsible children WHILE YOU ARE ARMED...

Scott

View Quote

DScott, not everyone lives in a hostile anti-gun culture...the kid Garryowen met was probably a recent immigrant from some other part of the country where attiude is more like there in Virginia and was just ignorant...by the way when was the last time YOU spent any significant time in AZ??
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Sorry if I seemed too harsh. Just wondering if there might have been better ways to make an impression on the kid. Maybe without shining the flashlight in his face during the movie? We have open carry in Virginia. Thanks to our state senators and reps, and Mark Warner, even in the five localities that used to have laws against it. Do I open carry and advertise I am ready to protect my family? No. That is my personal choice.  I apologise for taking this thread off topic.  Did y'all enjoy the movie? I did.

[:D]

Scott

Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:43:36 PM EDT
[#31]
It was cool. Great action. Great Effects. Great to see Yoda in his lil fighting stance. Better even when he put away his cane and pulled out the mini light sabre. Open a can of whoop ass. Then put the light sabre away and pick the cane back up. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#32]
when Yoda did that pose to prepare for battle, everyone was like, ooh, Yoda means business.

The lightsabre battle was mindblowingly fast. My eyes couldn't keep up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Did anyone think like me that Yoda in his Fight scenes looked like one of those spinning fireworks I used to play with when I was a kid?

Also, there were about 5 people in the theater that shouted, "someone shoot him!" When Jar Jar made his appearance.

The Senator needs a boob job.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone see Natalie Portman on Letterman tonight?

Damn! Baby is stunningly hot! [sex]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What I didn't like was the few references to how great democracy is, but that a totally different subject!
View Quote

Well, they were debating whether to have a representative democracy, or a benevolent dictatorship.

Queen A. thought that a representative democracy would be far superior.  I didn't have a problem with that.  Of course Darth Vader likes a dictatorship!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The Senator needs a boob job.
View Quote

That was "rectified" with the action figure.  Even Natalie herself said so.  I was flipping through channels and saw the ET segment discussing Ep.2.  When shown the action figure based on her character:
"Whoa, look at those boobs!  That is so not based on reality!"

Mattja,

I wonder what kind of 2-sided tape she used to keep her dress in place?
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#41]
I ruined the movie for myself by getting the book on tape for a long road trip last week.  And as usual, books always have considerably more detail in the story line than the movies.  But I'll admit...Yoda did kick ass.  

And I wonder...Did Mace's light sabre have "Bad MuthaFu**a"  inscribed on it?    [:D]  

Oh yeah, The new Matrix trailer, in my mind, was worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm going to wait a while for the crowds to thin, but I'm definitely going.

[img]http://216.40.201.38/otn/violent/awing.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/ups/DeNiro/stormtrooper.gif[/img] [img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/ups/DeNiro/BobaFett.gif[/img] [img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/owen/biggs.gif[/img] [img]http://www.colute.net/cwm/contrib/owen/deathstar1.gif[/img] [img]http://216.40.201.38/contrib/sarge/DarthVader.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And I wonder...Did Mace's light sabre have "Bad MuthaFu**a"  inscribed on it?    [:D]  
View Quote

Rumors say "yes"...

[url]http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0121765[/url]

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Had a run in with [b]Darth Maul[/b] and his girl friend at the will-call ticket machine just inside the movie house. Here is Sinistralriflefags show-down with the Evil Jedi:

[b]Darth Moron:[/b] Wow, hey what’s that?  (Points at Glock 21 on SR’s belt)
[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  That’s a real gun
[b]Darth Moron:[/b] Can you have that in here?
[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  Yes.
[b]Space Slut:[/b]  Is that legal?
[b]SinistralRifleman:[/b]  Yes it is.
[b]Space Slut:[/b]  Are you guys like cops or the military or…
View Quote

You should've told him your were a Storm Trooper working plainclothes...

and I especially like Natalie Portman's nipples in the white top (no bra, thank the force!) during the battle portion at. What would have made the movie better would have been more female Jedi Knights fighting Topless, killing more stuff and they should have had more things catch fire.
View Quote

We obviously have the same taste in movies.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Saw it today.

Yoda.  Sweet.  I would have liked him to use the force and push 100's of the droids at a time.  

Question.  Since R2D2 and C3PO were at the moisture farm in Episode II, why don't they remember being there before in episode IV?

Also, I'm confused.  Wasn't the Fett guy helping the large people make clones?  Then all of a sudden he is over being nice with the droid army?

And, it appears the clone army becomes the Empire army?  

Confused.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:40:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Saw it today.

Yoda.  Sweet.  I would have liked him to use the force and push 100's of the droids at a time.  

Question.  Since R2D2 and C3PO were at the moisture farm in Episode II, why don't they remember being there before in episode IV?

Also, I'm confused.  Wasn't the Fett guy helping the large people make clones?  Then all of a sudden he is over being nice with the droid army?

And, it appears the clone army becomes the Empire army?  

Confused.  [:D]
View Quote

Droids periodically have the memories wiped. I guess it keeps them bug-free.

The clones later on will be known as stormtroopers. This is why they are so loyal to the Empire. I doubt that in the movies they will mention COMPNOR, i cant remember what it stands for, but it is similiar to the Hitler youth programs of Germany that take in youths of the Republic and indoctrinates them loyalty and service to the Empire. There is a military aspect of COMPNOR as well that is similiar in funtion as the SS. Considered to be more elite then the Stormtroopers.-i miss the old West End Games RPG days.

Senator Palpatine rises to power in a similiar fashion to Adolf.

libtrooper
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#47]
[img]http://members.aol.com/nodnarbjh/amishyoda.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Saw it last night, loved it WAAAYYYYY more than Episode One...

The only thing though, is that Dokuu did not seem to me as a very good lead antagonist. I mean, I can't imagining wetting my pants over some old man with a beer gut stuffed into a girdle. Darth Maul he is not...
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is a snippet.  See the link for the rest.  It is pretty funny.
STAR WARS RETURNS today with its fifth installment, "Attack of the Clones." There will be talk of the Force and the Dark Side and the epic morality of George Lucas's series. But the truth is that from the beginning, Lucas confused the good guys with the bad. The deep lesson of Star Wars is that the Empire is good.
View Quote

[url]http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/248ipzbt.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Saw it today. All I can say, the critics have shit for brains. Don't let their shit-headedness ruin it for you. IT WAS AWESOME.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top