View Quote

I have.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"I've never unbuckled a corpse."  --E.M.T. quoted in Reader's Digest
View Quote

That's true because they ain't a corpse until they get to the hospital and a dr. declares it so.  EMT's don't have the authority to pronounce death.
View Quote

Ever heard of a Coroner?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have made a decision that I WILL disregard the new law PERIOD
View Quote

How will this effect your job?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It wont. Proper credentials is all thats required. We get speeding or parking tickets, its our cross to bear.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 2:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Click it or not doesn't matter sometimes.

My brother got a BS seatbelt ticket from some minority cop and he was wearing his FCKN seatbelt!

I know, bad, bad cop.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"I've never unbuckled a corpse."  --E.M.T. quoted in Reader's Digest
View Quote

Probably the worst accident I ever personally witnessed was a drunk in a mustang running into the back of a logging truck.  The trooper said that if he'd had a seat belt on, he would have been killed; everything came through the windshield but he was thrown forward and down into the air bag.  The lucky prick walked away with a broken nose.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perennial topic, and my perennial response:

When I have to pay for it, I get to say something about it.  This would include taxpayer supported EMS, medical treatment, public works costs, as well as MY insurance rates going up because of money spent for YOUR injuries. This might include your rehabilitation in a spinal cord or brain injury program (*very* expensive, BTW), or for unecessary medical expenses that could have been prevented by your taking a simple precaution like wearing a seatbelt or a helmet (only while on a motorcycle, of course [:)]).

If there was some way you could agree to NEVER use those services, you could do whatever you'd like.  Ain't gonna happen, unfortunately.  So in the meantime, please buckle up and refrain from crashing through your windshield, if you would.

Thanks!

[:D]
View Quote

Apply that same arguement to the criminal use of guns.
Sorry to tell you, but if you have insurance, your insurance company pays for your injuries to their cap, and then you are responsible for the rest.
If you don't have insurance, then you are causing a problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://www.pomf.org/2000/vetter.html[/url]

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Randall Vetter died at 10:24 p.m. on August 7, 2000 at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin.

Trooper Vetter was shot in the head on August 3, 2000 after he stopped Melvin Edison Hale, 72, to ticket him for not wearing a seat belt. The shooting occurred during broad daylight on the frontage road of IH 35 in Kyle, about 20 miles south of Austin.
The suspect exited his vehicle and began shooting with a rifle while the trooper was still sitting in his patrol car.  Trooper Vetter was able to return fire, but did not strike the suspect.  An off duty officer, who happened to be passing by, witnessed the shooting and alerted other officers.  

Hale was arrested a short distance from the scene after Hays County Sheriff's deputies shot out the tires on his vehicle. He was known to area officers as having anti-government sentiments and had made claims that he would shoot any officer who tried to arrest  him.  However, Vetter had only been working in Hays County for several months and was not aware of the threat.

Trooper Vetter is survived by father, Kermit Vetter, a lieutenant for the Comal County Sheriff's Department, his wife Cynthia and his eight-month old son, Robert.

View Quote
And this has WHAT to do with the subject at hand?
View Quote

Boomer asked for it. Don't be so rude.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow.  I'm really surprised at how many people, just don't get it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wow.  I'm really surprised at how many people, just don't get it.
View Quote
Please tell us what we don't get.  I agree there should be no law, but those that choose not to use available safety equipment should be prepared to accept the consequences of their bad decision.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#11]
These laws are not about safety.
They are about power (controlling the masses actions) and money (Insurances companies the most then the goverments second). The more laws they have to enforce, the more officers they need to do it, the more power they have.

Look at how laws are passed. Big bucks lobbiest usually have the most influence. The insurance industry spends millions on these "safety" laws. The care less about personal freedoms, it doesn't help thier bottom line, which is all they care about.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It wont. Proper credentials is all thats required. We get speeding or parking tickets, its our cross to bear.
View Quote

Company policy does not require you to wear your seatbelt?
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:30:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Unless something really weird happened while I was off the last 2 days...not wearing a seat belt is NOT probable cause for a traffic stop...we do have a little box on our citations for if you're wearing your seat belt you get 10 bucks off your fine...
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Unless something really weird happened while I was off the last 2 days...not wearing a seat belt is NOT probable cause for a traffic stop......
View Quote

It will be in Wa in a few days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Unless something really weird happened while I was off the last 2 days...not wearing a seat belt is NOT probable cause for a traffic stop...we do have a little box on our citations for if you're wearing your seat belt you get 10 bucks off your fine...
View Quote

[url]http://www.wa.gov/wtsc/[/url]

In Washington, they can, and apparently will pull you over just for a seat belt violation. It will probably spread to other states since there is overwhelming support from federal gov't.

Partial clip from the link:Over 100 law enforcement agencies are involved statewide and at least 400 extra law enforcement officers will be patrolling for seat belt law violators under this new project. $500,000 in federal funding is being passed along to local law enforcement agencies to pay for officer overtime for the project.
View Quote

I usually wear my seat belt in this high traffic area, but I don't think an officer should be allowed to pull me over just because he doesn't think I'm wearing it. That is my personal opinion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#17]
LarryG, I concede your point, to a certain extent. If I am in an accident, wether or not I'm wearing a seat belt, I think if someone else is at fault and causes the wreck THEY should be responsible for THEIR actions that caused the accident, and injury to me or themselves.

Everyone should be responsible for their own actions, no matter what we are talking about. If they put a check box on insurance applications that says "I do not always wear a seat belt" I would check it.

If we are going to start denying emergency medical attention to nasty seat belt violators, we should also deny emergency medical attention to welfare recipients who are capable of working, etc.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top