Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 1:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Interestingly, I have never seen an LEO against any CCW bill here National, State or Local.  Certainly, similar arguments could be used, but they're not.  

I would hope that, pro-gunners would at least begin to understatnd that LEO's are not generally anti RKBA or their enemies and, to the contrary, we are their allies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
It would set a strong president(sp?) for nationwide recognition of CCW permits, just like drivers licenses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
do you consider the President to be on the same level as your average law enforcement officer?  
View Quote

No. Most of the cops I know are far better men than most of the men who have held the office of the Presidency. I would not discredit police officers by comparing them to men like Jim Carter & Bill Clinton.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Rocko, what are you basing your opinion on?  How would this create two classes of citizens?  We have to start somewhere.  The states that have "shall issue" CCW's didn't all start doing it at the same time.  Once one state started doing allowing it a few others watched and saw that it worked and then they started to allow it...and that worked so now others are starting to look into it now.  If they approve a national carry law for cops and especially if they include retired cops as well, then that will start the same sort of precedent that Florida started with the "shall issue" CCW permits.  The key will be if there is a national standard of training/qualification requirement.
An off duty cop, outside of their jurisdiction has no more authority than any other law abiding citizen.  So the argument, AFTER a national LEO CCW bill is aproved, wouls be that since LEO's are the same as any other citizen (as in powers of arrest, liability, etc...) while outside their jurisdiction and there have not been any problems, why shouldn't any other law abiding citizen who does not happen to be a LEO be able to carry nationally?  
Those of you with the "all or nothing" approach are going to fix it so that everyone gets nothing.
And what is this supposed divide between LEO's and "normal" civilians you speak of?  To those of you who subscribe to this attitude, I ask...How many cops do you know on a personal level?  How many ride alongs have you gone on with your local police/sheriff dept.?  Think about it.

Quoted:
I absolutely do not support this.  I don't see this as a step to national CCW, as most of the antis want guns in the hands of military and law enforcement.  I think it is the more conservative folk (who are traditionally pro-gun) who are actually against this as they do not want to create two classes of citizens, each with different rights.

IMHO, this will do nothing but widen the divide you folks are commenting on here between LEO's and normal civilians.  It will do nothing but alienate LEOs to most people and cause animosity in the gun community and promote an "us vs. them" mentality.  The question is, is that this goal of this?  Divide and conquer?  

Rocko
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rocko, what are you basing your opinion on?  How would this create two classes of citizens?  We have to start somewhere.  
View Quote

Are you kidding me? Take a look at EVERY SINGLE piece of gun ban legislation and read the "exemptions" sections. How does equal protection under the law apply when you have one class of CIVILIANS being prohibited from buying and owning certain firearms or 11+ round cap mags made after 9/94 while another class of CIVILIANS (i.e. cops) are allowed to own whatever they want. But they only can use them on the job you say? Well, show me where they legally are no longer CIVILIANS status while on the clock.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
No I think you are kidding yourself.  The average cop is not the one writing the legislation.  For a cop to buy a law enforcement only firearm or magazine, they have to have a letter of authorization on department letterhead.  Once they leave law enforcement they are no longer legally allowed to own that firearm.  The reason for allowing LEO's to purchase these items is that there are some departments out there where the officers have to buy their own equipment.  Keep in mind, LEO's are different than civilians.  Because they have taken an oath to uphold the constitution and enforce the laws of their jurisdiction they have an obligation to act within that jurisdiction.  In fact, they can be held criminally liable for not acting on something that occurs in their presence, on or off the clock.  Civilians do not have such an obligation.  

Quoted:

Are you kidding me? Take a look at EVERY SINGLE piece of gun ban legislation and read the "exemptions" sections. How does equal protection under the law apply when you have one class of CIVILIANS being prohibited from buying and owning certain firearms or 11+ round cap mags made after 9/94 while another class of CIVILIANS (i.e. cops) are allowed to own whatever they want. But they only can use them on the job you say? Well, show me where they legally are no longer CIVILIANS status while on the clock.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Robertesq1: Pepper spray doesn't really hold up as a good example of the trickle down theory of LEO privilege to universal right. There is no national campaign to do away with pepper spray for the children. Pepper spray and stun guns are a sop that legislators allow to be thrown to us to say, "Here, defend yourself with this."

What about standard capacity magazines manufactured after 1994? What about those dangerous bayonet lugs? What about a semiautomatic shotgun with a pistol grip and a magazine of more than five round capacity? Those were all outlawed for most of us, while a specific exemption was made for LEOs.

Sorry, this looks too much like change for the same to me. Most of the LEOs on the board are for it, naturally, because it's in their best interest. I posted a link to a letter I wrote to LEAA about this, as well as their reply, on the first page of this thread. They ignored my question as to whether they would lobby for real universal reciprocity for all CHL holders in America after it was the law of the land for all present and retired police officers. That telling omission answered my question far better than any PR hack fast talking could have.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm for it.  I don't want to piss on someone's parade.

All the power to em.
Joe

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
What would you lose if HR218 passes?  Nothing.  It just comes down to "If I can't then they shouldn't either....wahhhhh!"   What a shame.  Some group has to be the first or it will never happen.  The plain and simple fact is that the ones who are going to have to sign a nat'l CCW law are not going to go for it all at once.  What is needed is a "politically safe" stepping stone.  HR 218 could very well be it.  If it isn't, it surely can't make things any harder for everyone to be able to carrt nationally.  Also, the LEAA isn't about to start endorsing a national ccw bill for everyone until after the one they are pushing passes, otherwise it would only strengthen the resistance from the anti-gun front.  Just because they (LEAA) didn't say yes, doesn't mean they say no.  Let's quit with the bickering and get on with the strategizing, otherwise NOTHING will pass.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope, no special privs.  When the rest of us get it, they automatically get it also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What would you lose if HR218 passes?  Nothing.  It just comes down to "If I can't then they shouldn't either....wahhhhh!"   What a shame.  Some group has to be the first or it will never happen.  The plain and simple fact is that the ones who are going to have to sign a nat'l CCW law are not going to go for it all at once.  What is needed is a "politically safe" stepping stone.  HR 218 could very well be it.  If it isn't, it surely can't make things any harder for everyone to be able to carrt nationally.  Also, the LEAA isn't about to start endorsing a national ccw bill for everyone until after the one they are pushing passes, otherwise it would only strengthen the resistance from the anti-gun front.  Just because they (LEAA) didn't say yes, doesn't mean they say no.  Let's quit with the bickering and get on with the strategizing, otherwise NOTHING will pass.  
View Quote

What this is really about is "divide and conquer!"  Give the police the ability to carry nationwide, and/or carry for life, and they will cease to care about getting real concealed carry passed.  The idea is to give it to the cops so that they won't vote with the civilians on the issue anymore.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What would you lose if HR218 passes?
View Quote

Equal protection.

Nothing.  It just comes down to "If I can't then they shouldn't either....wahhhhh!"
View Quote

Nice attitude.  And very telling.  

What a shame.  Some group has to be the first or it will never happen.
View Quote

Ya think?

The plain and simple fact is that the ones who are going to have to sign a nat'l CCW law are not going to go for it all at once.  What is needed is a "politically safe" stepping stone.  HR 218 could very well be it.  If it isn't, it surely can't make things any harder for everyone to be able to carrt nationally.
View Quote

You've got to be kidding!!  The same politicians who believe that only the police and the military are qualified to possess and use firearms are going to allow "regular" citizens to carry nationally once the cops prove themselves if this becomes law?

Also, the LEAA isn't about to start endorsing a national ccw bill for everyone until after the one they are pushing passes, otherwise it would only strengthen the resistance from the anti-gun front.
View Quote

So, why should we "regular" citizens support a national carry bill for cops only?  We can wait until the legislators pass one for us peons, and then we'll push to include cops in the new law.  Otherwise, it would only strengthen the belief that cops somehow think that they're better and more responsible than the rest of us.

Wouldn't want to perpetuate that idea, now would you?

Just because they (LEAA) didn't say yes, doesn't mean they say no.
View Quote

And just because we don't want to elevate the police to a level above the laws we must obey doesn't mean we're bashing them.

Let's quit with the bickering and get on with the strategizing, otherwise NOTHING will pass.
View Quote

Here's to hoping that HR 218 fails miserably in the congressional vote!

[beer]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just because they (LEAA) didn't say yes, doesn't mean they say no.
View Quote

And just because we don't want to elevate the police to a level above the laws we must obey doesn't mean we're bashing them.
View Quote

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:21:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm all for it. As a lot of you know I'm also law enforcement. I do agree with most of what has been already stated about the LEO's not being able to have special priviledges. I'm also all for a national CCW for all qualifying citizens. It is wrong on principle to give us LEO's the right before the populace. However I also think the only way we are going to get a national CCW is to get it for the LEO's first. Before all of the conspiracy theory types get all excited it should be pointed out that more CCW laws have been passed in the last 10-15 years than we have ever had before. That statistic shows that good CCW laws can still be passed in the current political climate.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:49:51 PM EDT
[#17]
seb127:

Can you lay out how you foresee nationwide CCW for police officers expanding to all CHL holders? In other words, I'd like an example of the course of events, starting with passage of HR 218, that you imagine would result in all of us having that right.

According to the letter I got from LEAA, they drafted the bill and Duke Cunningham sponsored it. Who do you imagine would write the universal reciprocity law, and who would sponsor it? Remember, LEAA wouldn't respond to my direct question on whether or not they would continue to lobby for universal reciprocity for non-LEOs. Who does that leave?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I would not discredit police officers by comparing them to men like Jim Carter & Bill Clinton.
View Quote

Jimmy Carter is a fine, fine individual and does more for this great country than you do ARfan!  I can't believe you would group those two men together.  Please don't tell me that you think the Bush father and son duo have more integrity than Jimmy Carter.  

Police officers??  Geeeeez!  Most of those turds are high school drop-outs and/or ego maniacs who girls got poked at my frat house when I was in college.  Most of those guys are cops to compensate for their lack of cock size!  They're the last people who I want to be carrying guns around while off duty or in another state.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

--snip--
Before all of the conspiracy theory types get all excited it should be pointed out that more CCW laws have been passed in the last 10-15 years than we have ever had before. That statistic shows that good CCW laws can still be passed in the current political climate.
View Quote

It should also be pointed out that more restrictive gun-control laws have been passed in the last 10-15 years than we have had before.  That statistic shows that bad laws can be passed in [i]any political[/i] climate.

Why is it that LEO's, such as yourself, can't figure out why we want one standard that [i]everybody[/i] is subject to?

We're not trying to hinder you in any way.  We simply want to be afforded the same rights and protections that you desire.  Why is that concept so damn hard for you to understand?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Why is it that every time this subject comes up everyone one carries a CCW is against this? Just because they can't carry. You guys are always cry about this.  The reason the CCW holders can't is because of the lack training you get. It could be that the average citizen out there doesn't have the training that Officer have to handle dangerous situations.

I really couldn't really tell you, but get out there and support your local Law Enforcement Department.   Just my two cents $.02
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
This keeps going round and round.  

The anti's never seem to reconcile that we leo's are pro gun, side with every piece of pro gun legislation even when it doesn't effect us.  But, when we ask for civilian support for an LEO national carry bill all of a sudden we're the enemy.  Its interesting because there has been a steadily increasing growth of pro-gun legislation nationally.  Why then, does this particular pro-gun bill ferment such hostility??
Basically what a reader here might infer is you non leo's just want a ccw bill for yourselves.

It seems to me that it is just this type of attitude which weakens our collective pro-gun stance by creating fractures within the collective pro-gun and pro RKBA community.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 7:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why then, does this particular pro-gun bill ferment such hostility??
Basically what a reader here might infer is you non leo's just want a ccw bill for yourselves.
View Quote

Not at all. We want a bill for [b]everyone[/b], LEO and non-LEO alike. The argument that LEO-only reciprocity will lead to universal reciprocity isn't selling. That's the point that you don't seem to be getting. We who don't carry a badge but take our self- and family's defense every bit as seriously as you do yours, don't believe that there will be any trickle down of "rights." We haven't seen it in the past, so why should we believe it will suddenly appear in the future sometime?

Recent gains in state CCW laws didn't come after laws were passed making it legal for XYZ County Deputies to carry concealed state-wide. They came because state legislators got bombarded with letters and calls saying, "Make it so."

It seems to me that it is just this type of attitude which weakens our collective pro-gun stance by creating fractures within the collective pro-gun and pro RKBA community.
View Quote

If you don't want there to be "fractures," write a letter to Duke Cunningham and LEAA and urge them to take the "fracture" out of HR 218.

Reciprocity for all. Special privileges for none.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]
How can you guys be so adament about allowing pilots to carry a gun but then bulk at the idea of a professional Law enforcement officer who puts his/her life in danger and carries 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Firearms are a part of a Leo's carrier. Why not just extend that to being apart of life everywhere. I think they also should add current military to this bill also.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 3:05:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How can you guys be so adament about allowing pilots to carry a gun but then bulk at the idea of a professional Law enforcement officer who puts his/her life in danger and carries 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Firearms are a part of a Leo's carrier. Why not just extend that to being apart of life everywhere. I think they also should add current military to this bill also.  
View Quote

I am all for allowing pilots to be armed [i]in the cockpit[/i] of the aircraft they are flying.  How did you make this leap of logic that we should allow pilots to carry everywhere [i]outside[/i] the aircraft while not on duty?  I've never heard anybody mention this.

You think that this bill should be amended to allow current military personnel to carry?  How about retired/honorably discharged military personnel?  Are they also a class of citizen that is less worthy than current/retired LEOs?

Sorry, my friend.  I'm still not convinced.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#27]
SinistralRifleman,
Please elaborate on your "personal experience with LEO's".  How many, how often, and under what circumstances?  Do you follow them around from call to call or something?
As far as the "average Joe" who carries a firearm being better trained than LEO's......how do you figure?  Take a look at how many thousands of people have gotten CCW permits in the states that allow it.  I find it very doubtful that that the average ccw holder has taken the extra classes and training you think they have.  Show me some numbers so I can change my mind, please.  I bet that you would find out that the people who make the effort to pay for the training you speak of are far above the average.  You think that the average cop has the free-time and the extra money to take these courses?  I know that I can't.  I have to settle for my twice yearly weapons quals, and free time in the departments gun range.  
In my state, all a person needs to show when they apply for a CCW is that they have taken a handgun safety course, which doesn't require them to shoot a weapon at all.  At least with a LEO, they have had to at least pass a qualification course.  

And honestly from my personal experience with LEOs, they are far more undertrained and dangerous than the "average joe" who carries a firearm for his protection.  To the LEO, its a tool as part of his job, generally he doesn't care about guns, he doesn't want to learn, and he doesn't want to invest his time and money into improving his skill at arms.  There are exceptions of course, but they are in the minority.

The average joe that carries a firearm has made a conscious effort to prepare himself for deadly situations, he educates himself, he usually practices, and invests money in classes and books to increase his knowledge and skill.  I'd much rather call on my fellow shooters (3-gun, IPSC, IDPA) to save my ass in a deadly situation, than any LE Agency.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Yankee1911,

When you say Equal protection, what do you mean?  Are you referring to Equal protection under the Constitution?  

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#29]
I won't support this until the cops support a "National Concealed Carry for Everyone" movement.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#30]
The "Average" CHL holder thinks buying a gun and taking a ridicously inadequate class is plenty.  Only a tiny minority will seek training worth the name.  Most of my students don't even carry, but get the CHL just so they can have a gun in the car. Students,  (especially the guys) have a seriously inflated view of their shooting skills and decision making abilities under stress. A large number will never fire their weapons beyond qualification.  
CHL classes are not weapons training.  They are politically required LEGAL training. The vast majority of these folks would be better served with a shotgun, for which you do not need a CHL.
As for cops supporting a National Carry Movement, it's kind of hard to support something that does not currently exist. What does exist at this moment is a cop-carry bill, and to put it bluntly,  support is a two way street. Don't support me, and I darn sure will not support you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yankee1911,

When you say Equal protection, what do you mean?  Are you referring to Equal protection under the Constitution?  

View Quote

In concept, I'm referring to Section 1 of the 14th amendment.  I realize that this section pertains to state laws more than federal laws, but there are other checks against discrimination at the federal level.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Jarhead You want a bill for everyone?  Does that mean you will vote against a national CCW bill if it doesn't include cops.  I think not.

As you may be aware, many police departments do not allow their officers to obtain private CCW licences b/c they want sole authority over that officer's weapon.  In fact, many require their police to surrender their carry licenses upon entry to the acadamy.  So, the National CCW does not help many of us, yet we give it our full support.  Why, we believe in RKBA.  I also do not wish a flame war but it just sounds too much like an "if not me than not them" attitude.

FatMan You said:

"I won't support this until the cops support a "National Concealed Carry for Everyone" movement."  

Do you contest the fact that most cops are pro-gun and support CCW privleges for Civilians.

HR218 just represents our desire for the same thing. It is not a limitation on anyone else.  In fact state CCW and full faith and recognition (interstate reciprocity) has been expanding for civilians and not LEOs.  would you support states affording other state LEO's right to bear arms as well??

I fully support both and any (other states, cities whatever) legislation which expands RKBA whether it personally affects me or not.  I am just suprised that my fellow enthuiasts view me as unworthy of the privleges they seek.

Oh, and piolets let them carry, and expand RKBA further it will make National CCW more palatable to the public.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 1:47:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jarhead You want a bill for everyone?  Does that mean you will vote against a national CCW bill if it doesn't include cops.  I think not.
View Quote

I fully expect every police officer to support this bill as written. It's in their best interest, and very understandably so. However, you have to do better than this if you want [b]me[/b] to support it. LEAA won't say that they will lobby for universal reciprocity once HR 218 is law. From that I have to take that while most police [i][b]support[/b][/i] liberalized CCW laws for all of us and universal reciprocity, they're certainly not going to go out of their way to see it happen.

As you may be aware, many police departments do not allow their officers to obtain private CCW licences b/c they want sole authority over that officer's weapon.  In fact, many require their police to surrender their carry licenses upon entry to the acadamy.  So, the National CCW does not help many of us, yet we give it our full support.  Why, we believe in RKBA.  I also do not wish a flame war but it just sounds too much like an "if not me than not them" attitude.
View Quote

I had no idea that police had to surrender their CHLs. That sucks. I would support a law that did away with that, and would write my state legislators to tell them so.

How are you supporting National CCW? Is there a bill or movement that you have written your legislators about, or is this just in theory? As far as "if not me then not them" goes, I would not support a law that made blue eyed white men over six feet tall a privileged class, so why should I support making anyone else a privileged class?

Is this a flame war? I think we're being pretty civil about it so far.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#35]
1) Some here say that some cops don't see there firearms more than a tool therefore don't take training seriously. These are the same cops who probably won't be carrying off duty anyway. The cops who most likely will be carrying will be the ones who train consistantly and just like us, take firearms seriously.

2) This talk that this makes cops above the average joe is ridiculous. Most anybody can take up LE career and start carrying. Its not like anybody is holding you back.
  Every career has perks this is just one for LE, don't be jelleous.

3) Also you all are missing the fact that Leos go through an extensive background, psych. eval, Poly, etc. taking up to six months. A ccw isn't anywhere near as thorough and if it was, you all would be b1tchin about all the BS you would have to go through.

Don't get me wrong, I support national ccw as much as you guys but this is a start. We are at war here in our home land. The more ccw's out there, Leo or nonleo the more safer we are.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 4:17:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Jarhead_22

Well, at least the LEAA suports the National CCW bill.  

We are having candid discussion here which accepts the reality that practical limitations exist with respect to our (LEO) ability to sponsor all the good causes out there. Police unions are paid out of our pockets to advance our own special interests (higher wages, job security etc.), we do not wish to spend our limited dollars advancing all the numerous causes to which we ascribe, causes too numerous to mention that the Police Unions lend support to, but causes meant to be championed by their own special interest groups not the leo organizations. Take victims rights groups for example - they do not turn on their police allies because the police are not sponsoring or lobbying victim legislation which, say gives benefits to those injured in crimes. They too could argue that such legislation “is in our interests too.” You suggest we have failed by not fighting your battle yet you appear to be against our cause??  I certainly do/did not ask or expect you to FIGHT our battle (by digging into your pocket etc.), merely to support our bill as we support your RKBA rights.

Me, personally, I am a member of the NRA am considering some others.  To that end it amazes me that you take a position which places no blame for the fact that our pro-gun organizations have sat on their hands in making no use of the LEO support. If you believe that those who do not fight your fight are your enemies, than so be it; but if your position truly reflected that of the average gun owner, you would find yourselves alone with diminishing political might. This has been my case from the onset, you would do better to expand your political allies by at least giving lip service to their causes instead of opposing them and fostering opposition.

Link Posted: 5/23/2002 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#37]
What SinistralRifleman said, basically-support nationwide CCW for everyone. Don't expect me to jump on someone else's bandwagon when they're not willing to support my consittutional right to KABA. Why widen the divide between the Govt. sancitified and us peasants?

BTW, for everyone who's whining that CCW doesn't teach you to be an NRA rated Excellent marksman-boo hoo. The Constitution protects your right to keep and bear(own AND carry). End of story. If we curtail rights in order to attempt to provide security, then we are playing right along with the Liberal Dems. on this issue.

Warning! Exercizing Constitutional rights may carry some amount of risk with it. Speaking your mind freely may be dangerous, too-someone, might get offended. Not allowing Govt' minions to do random searches at any time also may carry risk-we might miss some criminals. Nonetheless, our rights are not to be curtailed in the holy name of safety.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jarhead_22

Well, at least the LEAA suports the National CCW bill.  

We are having candid discussion here which accepts the reality that practical limitations exist with respect to our (LEO) ability to sponsor all the good causes out there. Police unions are paid out of our pockets to advance our own special interests (higher wages, job security etc.), we do not wish to spend our limited dollars advancing all the numerous causes to which we ascribe, causes too numerous to mention that the Police Unions lend support to, but causes meant to be championed by their own special interest groups not the leo organizations. Take victims rights groups for example - they do not turn on their police allies because the police are not sponsoring or lobbying victim legislation which, say gives benefits to those injured in crimes. They too could argue that such legislation “is in our interests too.” You suggest we have failed by not fighting your battle yet you appear to be against our cause??  I certainly do/did not ask or expect you to FIGHT our battle (by digging into your pocket etc.), merely to support our bill as we support your RKBA rights.

Me, personally, I am a member of the NRA am considering some others.  To that end it amazes me that you take a position which places no blame for the fact that our pro-gun organizations have sat on their hands in making no use of the LEO support. If you believe that those who do not fight your fight are your enemies, than so be it; but if your position truly reflected that of the average gun owner, you would find yourselves alone with diminishing political might. This has been my case from the onset, you would do better to expand your political allies by at least giving lip service to their causes instead of opposing them and fostering opposition.
View Quote

You won't address any of the [b]specific[/b] points I raise, but only generally address my posts as a whole, so I'll respond in kind.

LEAA supports National CCW? Maybe so, but right now they're only putting their money where their mouth is for cops. You and they apparently want my support for your specific interests without any kind of expressed or implied advocacy down the road by LEAA or the police unions for my interests. Is that what you meant by "lip service" and "fostering oppostion?"
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Jarhead_22

Hey, I thought I addressed each issue you raised, was I unclear.  

"We're not going out of our way to support Nat. CCW":

I attempted to make it abundantly plain that our unions are not likely to be spending our limited resources on collateral issues.  I said we are pro National CCW but our unions cannot afford to lobby or actively sponsor bills not affecting our specific interests.  I am not asking for YOUR financial support, I don't expect it, only that you treat our bills the way we treat yours -- not against but at least theoretically in favor.  We have provided other (passive?) support by our unions giving CCW our blessings, strong tools in the battle against the anti's when you can say that our enforcers of law are pro this bill.  No one here has yet acknowledge that, we are pro your position when you are anti ours, this seems a little odd to me.

How am I fostering Nat CCW:

Ok more specifics???, voting, joining pro-gun orgs., writing, emailing, and generally attempting to educate others.

Look I was hoping that I might point out some issues (that I have raised and argued before) that you might not have considered and I hoped that you or other readers might grow a little less hostile or weary of HR218.

Juggernaut: It appears that you have not read what I have previously posted:  1 LEOs are predominantly pro your national CCW and 2 a Nat civ CCW does not apply to many leo's who are prohibited from possessing a CCW: so our bill is only seeking the same thing as you and is viewed by us as a step in the right direction for all pro RKBA.

I think that those pro- Nat ccw who are anti HR218 (your position) do a disservice to our collective cause and make it more difficult for LEOs to be sympathetic to your interests.  Oh and by the way I have seen no real objections (no not you Jarhead - you did indicate an objection) to two classes when it’s the leos who are out in the cold.

Look, I just think that 99% of gun enthusiasts are great people whether we are military, leos or not and when I see these fractures feel an obligation to address them.  I'm trying to cool this down - not raise the temperature.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Robertesq1: Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a second.

Would you support a "National CCW" bill that didn't specifically include language granting those rights to police officers? I don't think you would given your example of police officers being required to surrender their CCW licenses. How is that any different from my outlook? All I'm looking for here is equal protection under the law, and you accuse me of selfishness and shortsightedness. So be it.

You say you support CCW and RKBA by belonging to the NRA? So do I, as well as GOA. I also write my state and federal legislators regularly on RKBA issues. The reason I wrote LEAA about HR 218 in the first place was to have my facts straight when I wrote Sam Johnson. The fact is that LEAA thinks it's a good idea for me to be able to carry nationwide, but since it's not to their advantage to do so, they're not going to expend any energy to see that it happens. I understand this, but why should I then be excited to see that their constituency becomes a privileged class with more rights than me? Because those rights may one day trickle down to me? It's never happened before, so why should I start believing in the Tooth Fairy and the Great Pumpking now?
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#41]
[b] Would you support a "National CCW" bill that didn't specifically include language granting those rights to police officers? I don't think you would given your example of police officers being required to surrender their CCW licenses. [/b]

Well yes that’s exactly what I have been saying all along, why is it no one is reading what I am saying????? We leos have and are supporting all civ carry bills and no version yet has granted us LEOs the same rights to carry in other states.  When we leos finally get a bill on the table that helps us as well, we're bad guys???? what’s that????

[b]You say you support CCW and RKBA by belonging to the NRA? So do I, as well as GOA. I also write my state and federal legislators regularly on RKBA issues. The reason I wrote LEAA about HR 218 in the first place was to have my facts straight when I wrote Sam Johnson. The fact is that LEAA thinks it's a good idea for me to be able to carry nationwide, but since it's not to their advantage to do so, they're not going to expend any energy to see that it happens. I understand this, but why should I then be excited to see that their constituency becomes a privileged class with more rights than me? Because those rights may one day trickle down to me? It's never happened before, so why should I start believing in the Tooth Fairy and the Great Pumpking now?[/b]

Wow. ok well I guess that’s that.  You specifically asked me and I answered, I was not diminishing YOUR RKBA efforts.  You clearly have not hearing what I am saying about leos having a long track record of supporting civilian ccw bills although you appeared to say it yourself it earlier.  I will not keep repeating that we leos are not wealthy enough to spend our limited union resources on other bills.  Why that is so upsetting to you when you are not even lending oral support to ours .....just doesn't make sense to me.  Two different classes??? well the only class I see is the civilians getting steadily expanded CCW privileges and most leos are not, but again that doesn't appear to upset any of the civilians????

Hey its like Vermont, they don’t require a licence to carry so no state gives them reciprocity.  They get hosed.

Oh I am not suggesting you are selfish and shortsighted individual, I'm sure we could down a few beers and fight for the check, I just disagree with your position on this issue and do not believe you are being objective.  Maybe there's something I'm missing here, anyone??
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 12:29:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I would support a national bill even if it didn't include sppecific rights for police officers.  What would I have to lose by supporting it.  Plus, I am not going to be sworn for the rest of my life, and I would hope that I can carry once I quit or retire.  

Quoted:
Robertesq1: Let's put the shoe on the other foot for a second.

Would you support a "National CCW" bill that didn't specifically include language granting those rights to police officers? I don't think you would given your example of police officers being required to surrender their CCW licenses. How is that any different from my outlook? All I'm looking for here is equal protection under the law, and you accuse me of selfishness and shortsightedness. So be it.

You say you support CCW and RKBA by belonging to the NRA? So do I, as well as GOA. I also write my state and federal legislators regularly on RKBA issues. The reason I wrote LEAA about HR 218 in the first place was to have my facts straight when I wrote Sam Johnson. The fact is that LEAA thinks it's a good idea for me to be able to carry nationwide, but since it's not to their advantage to do so, they're not going to expend any energy to see that it happens. I understand this, but why should I then be excited to see that their constituency becomes a privileged class with more rights than me? Because those rights may one day trickle down to me? It's never happened before, so why should I start believing in the Tooth Fairy and the Great Pumpking now?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Guy one is a CCW holder who has reciprocity in over 20 states, guy 2 is an leo who has no ccw and thus no reciprocity.  Should the CCW holder be able to defend himself and not the leo?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Guy one is a CCW holder who has reciprocity in over 20 states, guy 2 is an leo who has no ccw and thus no reciprocity.  Should the CCW holder be able to defend himself and not the leo?  
View Quote

Why doesn't guy 2 (the LEO) ask the police union and/or groups such as the LEAA to use their limited resources to challenge any department policy that forbids officers from obtaining a CCW permit?  I, for one, would support that effort since it doesn't create a different set of standards for citizens based upon their occupation.

And then, you too could enjoy limited reciprocity in the states that allow it...just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#47]
NFW. Cops are allowed to cut too many corners already. Let them go before the board like the rest of us civilians.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#48]
HaHa there an ingenious solution.  Sadly your suggestions appear to go at the problem at an administrative level in individual departments, where unions are fighting other issues or administrators are against the idea.  It might further suprise you that some law enforcement groups also oppose HR218.  The International Association of Police Chiefs (who represent leo executive staff) are against it b/c they do not want liability for LEOs acting out of their jurisdiction.  In any event you have never faced the issue that we support your position and furthermore, made it quite clear you do not appreciate our support for RKBA, do not see us as allies and would support our rights only if they were tethered to yours.

So you see we leos, don't generally have the support of the public, our executives or even that of many of our fellow gun enthuisiasts.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Garand_Shooter:

You make my point, but ignore the facts.  Yes in fact we do "get less than the public" (as you put it) in connection with out of state carry privleges as they exist now (So I guess by your own logic you must support our position).  And yes, you continue to miss the point, with respect to your question, about who has a greator right to protect themselves. (I suspect you are attempting to bait me into an arguement about the increased risks we LEOs take so you can again debase us for choosing our particular vocation).  

You clearly do not understand or choose to ignore what I have said.  1. I do not profess limiting the rights of others (civ ccw holders) to protect themselves or 2. believe their rights inferior to mine as you repeatedly imply; 3. I support RKBA and so do most other leos and we will continue to do so.  

My points, again:
1. This bill in fact an attempt to provide leos with a similar measure of reciprocity that is being increasingly accorded private ccw holders
2. It is specifically your type of attitude, and internecine infighting which diminishes our collective strength and defeats our joint interests as gun enthusiasts - cop or non-cop.  While we are a dedicated and polarized minority, gun enthusiasts are just that -- a minority. The only reason that we have been able to expand gun rights or reduce encroachment is that as a group, we vote, act and work together, when anti-gunners don't.
Together we form a union which is greater than the sum of our parts.  I think that you would be better served to accept the reality that most Americans view us both with fear and suspician and that you might further your aims within a framework and context which at least recognizes that these mores exist and than attempt to further your position pragmatically by suppporting your allies not attacking them.  

Save your rancor for the Anti-gunners.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top