Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 6:42:31 PM EDT
From [url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/2702017p-3408364c.html[/url]

[size=6][red][b]SURPRISE   SURPRISE   SURPRISE[/b][/red][/size=6]

[i]Gov. Gray Davis unveiled a plan Tuesday to fill in an estimated [b]$23.6 billion budget[/b] shortfall with deep cuts and [b]tax increases[/b], despite insisting for months that he had no plans to raise taxes.

Davis said Tuesday the state faced a $23.6 billion shortfall, almost double the predictions in January and amounting to one-third of the state general fund..........

He is calling for a [b]temporary[/b] increase to state vehicle license [b]fees[/b] and a cigarette [b]tax increase[/b]. His plan also includes $7.6 billion in budget cuts, putting off programs until better fiscal times and creative shifting of education dollars to fulfill the state's minimum funding guarantee for schools[/i]

Sure hope they at least wear a condom when they try to pass this budget.[:(!]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully, the demo-idiots in this state will make him pay for his stupidiy in the coming election.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Temporary? Whatever. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Woo hoo!
It couldn't happen to a nicer state!

I propose that the kaliban legislature draft a law that every election a mandatory $500 voting tax be collected from anyone who wants to cast a ballot, exempting those receiving some type of welfare assistance.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Imbro - an interesting point bringing up "Poll Tax."  An associate and I have come up with a substantially similar solution, with different mechanics...

When entering the polling place, the voter must pay a "tax deposit" of, say, $100.  After making the deposit, the voter is given a question designed to test his intellect - be it in maths (to Algebra/Trig,) History, Philosophy, General Science, or whatever.  Something a High School graduate would be able to answer - but that his dog could not.  

Answer the question correctly, you get yout deposit back and you get to vote.  Fail, and the machine keeps your deposit, and flashing red lights go off.  Protest on form I-D-Ten-T.

Of course, the question and the ballot are both in American English ONLY!

This could serve two purposes -

1) Generating a sliding windfall for the government around taxtime.  Put the "ballot take" into a special fund for use on special projects, or an emergency fund for a "rainy day."

2) Make some progress toward ensuring a certain level of mental competence for our electorate, as well as a useful language skill (last time I checked, all the major rags are in English.)  Of course, the voter would be allowed to pick his subject from a pool made available to the machine.  And, only the machine and the programmer pool would have access to the answer pool!  Presentation of an occupational certification of competence in a mathematical or scietific subject form a practical viewpoint (city engineer, surveyor, or somesuch) would allow the voter to waive the requirement for the Question.

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell Hollywood!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This place sucks.
View Quote

Go down to any Southern California beach during Spring Break and ease your pain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm wondering if they should make it where if you don't pay taxes you can't vote (or something around those lines).

I love the part where he says they're temporary.  I especially love the part where he's taking money from the cig lawsuit.

If people still buy cigs in this state I hope you find another place to get them be it through mail order/internet or maybe from the Indians.  The left may consider that the black market, whereas I consider it the free market.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully, the demo-idiots in this state will make him pay for his stupidiy in the coming election.
View Quote

They will - by replacing him w/ another (bigger?) idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top