Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 2:33:18 PM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=3&u=/nm/20020514/od_nm/karate_dc_1[/url]

Burglar Beaten by Karate Expert
Tue May 14, 9:50 AM ET

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - A burglar who tried to strangle a South African woman ended up in hospital with a fractured skull when the 45-year-old karate expert fought back, a local newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The Star said Marietjie Fourie, who will compete in the Shotokan Karate World Championships in 2003, let fly a flurry of blows when her attacker grabbed her at her home in the port city of Durban.

The man struck back, but Fourie grabbed wooden fighting sticks joined by a chain and lit into him, putting him in hospital with a smashed skull and facial bones.

Fourie was quoted by the newspaper as saying it was the third time she had physically repelled intruders or attackers.

"Every time I have caught someone trying to break into my house or attack me, I have beaten them off, incapacitating them or forcing them to flee," she said.

South Africa has one of the world's highest rates of violent crime and violence against women is widespread.

---------

he wont be going back to THAT house ever again!

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#1]
"wooden fighting sticks joined with a chain"

Uhhhh...Nunchucku AKA Nunchucks.  I guess they wanted to use the technical term.

You see guys, we don't need guns.  We all just need to learn Karate and we'll all be ok...wait a minute though, Karate could be dangerous, I mean once we posess those skills, we might want to go out and beat someone up, and look at that poor criminal with his skull bashed in.  That's it, Karate is just too dangerous.  Ban Karate now! Ban Karate Now!  It's for the children.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Bann Her !!!!

for the children.!!!!

PS.   how dare she fight back ... couldnt she be a good little victum?, she a danger to herself and the community...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Every time I have caught someone trying to break into my house or attack me, I have beaten them off
View Quote

That doesn't sound so bad.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At least he's alive.  Had it been our house, my wife would have nagged him to death.  [:D]
View Quote

LOL, im glad im not married yet. i get to hear all the hells frmo you poor fools who were crazy enought to say "I Do". [:P]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Uhhhh...Nunchucku AKA Nunchucks.  I guess they wanted to use the technical term.

You see guys, we don't need guns.  We all just need to learn Karate and we'll all be ok...wait a minute though, Karate could be dangerous, I mean once we posess those skills, we might want to go out and beat someone up, and look at that poor criminal with his skull bashed in.  That's it, Karate is just too dangerous.  Ban Karate now! Ban Karate Now!  It's for the children.

Mike
View Quote

The Kaliban, years ago as a result of a rash of drive-by nunchuckings and shurikenings, saw fit to make the possession of those martial arts weapons a felony. Oh ya, I almost forgot to mention that military and law enforcement are exempt from the ban as usual. HAHAHA!

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You judge:

My wife hunts/fishes--has killed 5 dears.

She shoots weekly at our pistol club.

Edit:  I just re-read this and must add--I LOVE MY WIFE!!!
View Quote

You just might be her next "Trophy," husband!![:D]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Every time I have caught someone trying to break into my house or attack me, I have beaten them off
View Quote

That doesn't sound so bad.
View Quote

Haha that's what I'm talkin about!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

"I need Gopher Chucks!"
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
he wont be going back to THAT house ever again!
View Quote

No, but someone else will. It's the new rainbow South Africa...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, that's funny.  I think more than just Kali has banned Nunchucks.  LOL..won't have to worry about that happening here.  I once had a female officer come to my place in San Diego after about TEN HOURS to take a stolen vehicle report, she had some funny apparatus on her hip that turned out to be nunchucks when I asked.  She also gave me this look of "But YOU can't have any"...lol.  Wanted to say..."Oh, you mean you can't hit $hit with your service weapon eh?"  This was after I had seen a couple of different news stories on multiple cops emptying their Berettas and hitting bystanders and not the perp...sorry kind of off issue.  OOPS
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:48:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Come on now Beekeeper1 I have met your wife.She is a very nice lady.She would never nag you... would she ?  :)

QBANG
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
She bragged just this morning that she finally ran over an opossum with her new car last night.  (You probably have to have spent time in the country to understand that. [;)])
View Quote

im far enought out i see possums on the road , MASHED and alive as they try to get across.

also i can hunt deer from my balcony.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
wooden fighting sticks joined by a chain
View Quote

I believe they have come to name this invention already. Nunchakus perhaps.

WTF is wrong with these reporters not researching about weapons. Yet they can tell you if the subject of the story had a big ass zit on their face while in kindergarten, or if the Presidents crapped his cream corn from dinner intact this morning.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember an episode of Cops in which a man was jumped by two robbers. By the time the cops got there one robber was [b]dead[/b] and the other one was in serious hurt. Apparently the guy they picked on was a martial arts expert. The attackee was not emotionally prepared for causing such havoc and was crying as he sat on the curb. The cops (and I) had the same reaction, those guys picked on the [i]wrong[/i] person.

[i]The above was from the best of my recollection, which even on a good day is suspect...[/i]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:42:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Your day will come.  Trust me.  I will say, "I told you so!"  It's not all bad.  Actually, it's great, I just thought that sounded funny.  

You judge:

My wife hunts/fishes--has killed 5 deer.

She bragged just this morning that she finally ran over an opossum with her new car last night.  (You probably have to have spent time in the country to understand that. [;)])

She's a gardener/canner.

She sews for a living, and is well paid w/benefits.

She's a truly excellent cook.

She shoots weekly at our pistol club.

She's not bad looking--for an old broad.

She keeps my mother off my back, as mom likes her much better.  

She's h**ny as a goat.  Ahem!  

She nags a little because I am a complete PITA to live with.  [:D]

Edit:  I just re-read this and must add--I LOVE MY WIFE!!!
View Quote

I did not know my wife had a twin sister. You are married to her! Mine is a nurse though, she has been drawn 3 times out of 4 in AZ for an Elk tag, but I am too lousy a guide to find her one to shoot. The older I get, the hornier she gets. Life is not fair, I should have dated older women when I was 20!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember an episode of Cops in which a man was jumped by two robbers. By the time the cops got there one robber was [b]dead[/b] and the other one was in serious hurt. Apparently the guy they picked on was a martial arts expert. The attackee was not emotionally prepared for causing such havoc and was crying as he sat on the curb. The cops (and I) had the same reaction, those guys picked on the [i]wrong[/i] person.

[i]The above was from the best of my recollection, which even on a good day is suspect...[/i]
View Quote

I saw that episode also.  The guy just kept talking and talking, crying and crying.  He made the mistake of saying something to the effect of "I just kept kicking him in the head."  While it was obvious that he was the victim in this particular situation, he used an unjustified amount of force.  [i]A[/i] kick to the head is one thing.  Multiple kicks to the head until your white sneakers are covered in blood is something completely different.

But I had the same reaction as you until I thought about it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote

UhOh... Nunchucks are a big no-no in Kalifornia (assualt weapon, didn't yopu hear?)... guess i'll have to use a gun, instead...oh wait...can't do that eaither (we're a concealed-carry state in name only)... what about harsh language? Is that still legal? (DonR's reply: absolutely not... I refer you to the forum conduct code)
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Sounds like she was kickin ass and taking names!

pdxshooter, did the cops episode say what happened to the guy that beat down his assailants?  Did they go after him for excessive force?  I hope not... it wasn't like he provoked the attack.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I remember that one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw that episode also.  The guy just kept talking and talking, crying and crying.  He made the mistake of saying something to the effect of "I just kept kicking him in the head."  While it was obvious that he was the victim in this particular situation, he used an unjustified amount of force.  [i]A[/i] kick to the head is one thing.  Multiple kicks to the head until your white sneakers are covered in blood is something completely different.

But I had the same reaction as you until I thought about it.
View Quote

What?!? My reaction (even after I thought about it) was one less piece of shit on the street. [b]Good riddance.[/b] And I'll just bet the cops said the same thing. And if they testified in court, despite the tape, I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a Ronnie  Reagan and didn't [i]remember[/i] any excessive force comments. Unjustified? Two on one? He kept kicking until he was safe.

pdxshooter, did the cops episode say what happened to the guy that beat down his assailants? Did they go after him for excessive force? I hope not... it wasn't like he provoked the attack.
View Quote

[b]Cops[/b] don't do post-game analysis. You have to watch [b]Law & Order[/b] for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top