Do you speak Spanish?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:32:56 AM EDT
[#2]
relax man,

Ever hear the old saying "In this country, anything is possible?"

"If you want something bad enough, you will get it"

"Don't give up"

"Winners never quit, quitters never win"

You can do it, keep your head clear and positive!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#3]
That sucks man.  But, at least you're moving soon (if you haven't already)!!  I have a degree in Business Information Systems, and I hate what I'm doing.  You're lucky you caught yourself in time.  I'm still trying to figure a way out and still make mortgage payments.  Nobody in construction would hire me, but that probably has to do with the fact that I have the physique of a starved heroin addict.  Good luck, I really hope you find something.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Like its said above, learn spanish.  That should help.  Or maybe take up a new habit, like smoking pot.  I know of a lot of pot head carpenters!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you speak Spanish?
View Quote

Si! Puedo hablar en espanol muy bien!  Y tu tambien?

Sabes de una compania en Minnesota que necessita un empleado ahora?
View Quote

Move down here to northeast Nebraska and that Espanol will be a major asset to finding a job, espcially in construction.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Arizona has so many houses going up, they would make you a foreman in 6 weeks if you can speak Spanish...
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Like its said above, learn spanish.  That should help.  Or maybe take up a new habit, like smoking pot.  I know of a lot of pot head carpenters!!
View Quote

Or, borrow money from me and don't pay it back...[pissed]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
As a cabinet and millwork contractor, I would like to thank you for pursuing a background in construction along with your desire to become an architect.

I've worked with some very good architects who happened to have solid experience in the construction trades.  These folks really understand the depth of a project beyond the blueprints.

On the other hand, I've also worked with some really bone-headed architects that don't have a clue what goes on in the "real" world.  Square corners and perfectly plumb walls exist only on blueprints, not on any jobsite I've been to.

Keep trying, you'll find something.  In my area, most of the contractors I know would love to hire somebody who simply shows up for work. [rolleyes]

Good luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tried the Olive-oil tomato things!  They were pretty good, but my female friends LOVED them whereas I merely liked them.
View Quote

That's all that counts...who the hell cares what you like?!? [:D]

Quoted:
You too?[:D]
View Quote

That is only the tip of the iceberg my friend.  Well I guess it's not that bad, but it could be a lot better.  Oh, who am I kidding, it is that bad....but at least you and I have good taste in muppets and movies!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
The most screwed up people I have ever met have been in construction.

I walked in on one conversation one day, and one of the other workers asked me to tell about my time in prison.  ?????  Told him I was in college and this was a summer job.

We could talk about the contractor who moved people from his big project onto smaller side jobs of his while they were on the big project payroll.

Or the one who bragged he had 13,000 in taxable income till September driving down the road in his 40,000 dollar duallie truck, while he was pointing out property he owned left and right.  I hope that bastard rots in Hell!, for other reasons.

Or the SOB who promised 12-15 bucks an hour for someone with my experience.  "We'll settle on a precise wage after two weeks, after we see what you are worth."  I managed to corner him after that first paycheck, a month after I started.  "Well, I don't know where you heard that.  I pay ANYONE WITH LESS THAN 5 YEARS FRAMING EXPERIENCE 7 DOLLARS AN HOUR."  I quit with malice as soon as I could.  He won't forget me.  

I will tell some Roger and Zip stories in a more appropriate thread.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Arizona has so many houses going up, they would make you a foreman in 6 weeks if you can speak Spanish...
View Quote

Of course the pay here sucks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
oh yeahhhhh....true, true true......
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest you leave out all the crap from your resume that does not apply directly to the job you are applying for.

You tell me why would the interviewer be moved to hire someone who had a more intellectual resume than themselves.

Most formen in charge of hiring are not interested in hiring and training thier future bosses. If you are applying for a laboror's position make yourself sound like a laboror.

Don't come off as a future boss of the guy doing the hiring.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Way to go, TommyBrown hit the X !
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Yup, sounds like you're coming off as overqualified and, no offense, maybe even a bit arrogant.

The job market is pretty tight right now. Employers can use a bit more discretion in selecting employees tan they were able to just a few years ago. Something about your attitude, demeanor, or appearance is putting your interviewers off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I know what you mean , went from Civil Servant Computer/Electronic Tech Management to part-time truck driver / laborer , my health has improved drastically (I used to have the physique of the Michelin man crossed with the Pillsbury Doughboy ) Now I've lost 80 pounds and have a low slung gorilla look , I consider it an improvement .
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I USED to work construction in Phoenix. (Needed a break from being a mechanic, or so I thought..)
 For every one framer, roofer, plumber, etc I met that gave a damn about his trade, there were at least 20 that were worthless drug addled scum.

I used to deal with framers that did not know what "square" was, plumbers that thought the stub locations were suggestions, and drywallers that would rather slap a panel over screwed up framing than getting the bowed structure fixed..
I only met ONE site supervisor who gave a damn, the rest posessing varying degrees of indiffrence, or incompetence.

I still see shoddy framing, plumbing and stucco work around here, and it convinces me that if I ever buy a home, it will be at least 60 years old,plumbed with copper and made of brick.I'll deal with the repairs myself, thanks.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would suggest you leave out all the crap from your resume that does not apply directly to the job you are applying for.

Most formen in charge of hiring are not interested in hiring and training thier future bosses. If you are applying for a laboror's position make yourself sound like a laboror.

View Quote

Yeah, and wear the Flannel shirt to the interview, NOT the Sport Coat! Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Damn!  I thought there were some really F#CKED Up people in Computer Science fields, but Construction Supervisors take the cake in being a$$munchers!
View Quote

I've been working construction for the past few months. While the superintendent had a really good temperment, everyone else on the job made each day pretty unbearable.

I came to wonder what it is about construction workers.  Is it the work that turns them into such raging assholes, the work environment?  Or is it just that the only work such assholes can be tolerated is in the construction field?

It's like the chicken and the egg question I guess.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#23]
If ya wanna blend in on a construction site there are a few guidelines to follow.

Don't act like ya know it all and use dem big college educated words.  If someone asks about your past tell them you dropped/flunked out of college.

Don't dress like your going to work at the office.  Wear what everyone else does to blend in, work boots, blue jeans, Tshirt etc.

Don't be unprepared to take LOADS of B.S. especially if you are NEW.  Dishing out the s%^* back will generally gain you some respect.

Don't be a WHINER!

Don't be timid.  If there's blood in the water the B.S. sharks will find you.  Be out going and practical, even if you don't wanna be.

good luck.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
they seem to be growing on me.  It's an acquired taste.  Kind of like Tofu in your chinese food, or that wonderful **AHEM** delight that makes women **AHEM** taste so good (Especially after they eat something spicy), but this tastes much better.

I told my mother about this, She said it sounds good, and she'll try it.
View Quote

Wait....you're not saying that you talk about eating pussy with your mom, are you?! [puke]
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]

You tell me why would the interviewer be moved to hire someone who had a more intellectual resume than themselves.

View Quote

This is one is totally counter-intuitive to people who think that their brains are all that matters. Sometimes you have to play like you have an IQ in the 100's-110's.  Of course your brain is all that matters along with its knowledge. But Smart Guys are hated because if the big bosses start gettting around you then your start jumping up the Chain of Command.
Especially if you have taken cost management stuff.  Play the Game, that is the hardest lesson that I have ever had to learn.  You don't have to be Albert Einstein every second of your life.  You don't always have to be right. Then you become really smart because you can set back and know the right answer but for the sake of balance you allow someoone else to answer the question.

Brilliance is everything to me.  

Look at the guy who is doing the interviewings shoe size. If his feet are small back the fuck off. If his feet are large then show a little balls.  But mostly just play the game!!

If the guy over you is a Weasel then only talk to him in front of an even bigger boss, that way he is bound by someone who has him by the balls. There is a lot of shit you learn to do.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#27]
[url]http://www.mnpipetrades.com/[/url]

Lots of good advise has been given in this thread. Listen to what Ben says; his "weasel" advice is sage.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#28]
iNuhBaDNayburhood, see the healthy snacks thread for an important update!
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yup, sounds like you're coming off as overqualified and, no offense, maybe even a bit arrogant.

........Something about your attitude, demeanor, or appearance is putting your interviewers off.
View Quote

I have to agree with Boomer. Show up ready to work. Experience? "Dont really have any but I work hard." usually will get you a job. Don't worry about pay for a couple  of weeks or more. If you are worth more and you ask for it, you will usually get it IF the position will pay more. Sometimes labors get X # of dollars and that's it, Labor foreman get a little more.

Bottom line is that you can get $ = to what you produce. Qualifications don't mean a damn thing. You can have an MBA from Harvard but if you take longer to dig a ditch than the other guy, you are worth less than him.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#30]
I am a foreman for my electrical company doing new construction. If I could just get a whole crew to show up everyday I would be happy. Hell I wouldn't care what they used to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top