Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2002 3:43:04 AM EDT
The power went on and off about three times last night in a row during the thunderstorms here in NC.  After the first flicker I turned the AC unit off & forgot about it.  About 8:00 pm the house was getting hot, and I went to turn on the AC....nothing.  I checked the fuses, (the ac is on a 40 amp breaker and two 40 amp fuses 240v AC) and one fuse was blown.  When I turned on the breaker the fuse immediately blew.  This happened one more time.  It's like the ac unit is single phasing.  One fuse leg blows everytime power is applied.  What can I expect the repairman to say so I don't get burned?  Starting Capacitor?  Compressor motor?  Will homeowners cover this?  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Glockdiver,

This happened to me last fall.  Here are some suggestions:

- Inspect and test all electronic devices in your home, appliances, TV's, DVD's, VCR's, telephones (we lost three) and everything else you can think of (don't forget every outlet).

- Call an AC guy and tell him what happened.  It will help immensly if you can get the AC guy to right on the work order that the damage appeared to be caused by lightening.

- Get a claim with your insurance agent with a list of all the devices damaged.

The insurance company should cover all damaged items less your deductable.  Our insurance covered a new Rheem AC/gas pack that my b-i-l installed.

On the other hand, it might be that you just lost a breaker which is a $10 item or so.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
- Inspect and test all electronic devices in your home, appliances, TV's, DVD's, VCR's, telephones (we lost three) and everything else you can think of (don't forget every outlet).
View Quote

Boy I would've never thought about something like that. For the people living the parts of the U.S. where there is a lot lightening activity a surge protector would be a wise investment, even if the insurance pays for damaged/destroyed electrical equipment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Warlord,

Funny you should mention the surge protector:  Several years ago, I had one installed at the power meter by the power company.  It didn't help.  I also had it replaced a week after the bolt hit.

What galls me is that I am the only one in the neighborhood that has one that I know of, but I was the one that took the hit.

Oh well.

Good luck.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Warlord,

Funny you should mention the surge protector:  Several years ago, I had one installed at the power meter by the power company.  It didn't help.  I also had it replaced a week after the bolt hit.

What galls me is that I am the only one in the neighborhood that has one that I know of, but I was the one that took the hit.

Oh well.

Good luck.

Merlin
View Quote

Wow, I call that the "Charlie Brown" Effect. After the character in the comic strip Peanuts, where a little black rain cloud follows ONLY Charlie Brown around.  I guess the surge protector didn't react fast enough to save your equipment. Actually, what I meant was one of those power strips that you buy at Wal-Mart, Home Depot for about $20. But even with a surge protector it is no guarantee that it will protect your electrical equipment. Just that it might help protect them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#5]
We don't have lightening problem around So. Calif, but what about a lightening rod? Would that have helped?
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Losing your AC is a SHTF scenario here in Alabama.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#7]
watching the news about two nights ago.. Had a segment with a Underwriters LAB.(UL)  guy..
subject: surge protecters
conclusion: in a storm unplug your stuff and take to $20 bucks you where going to buy the surge thingy with and just get more ammo... basicly they dont work..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top