Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2001 7:25:15 AM EDT
Local library selection devoid of anything interesting to you?  Did you know that you can request almost any book from your local library and they'll do a national search to see if it's in the library system?  If they find it, they'll request it and it'll be delivered to your local library for you to check out.  Sometimes they'll buy the book you want for their collection.  I've used this to my advantage on many occasions.  Unintended Consequences, knife making books, gun references, leather working books, tracking and trapping books, police training books, reloading and cartridge books, just to name a few.  To make it simple just go on Amazon.com and look up what you want.  Write down the ISBN or other reference number, the author, date and publisher.  You usually have to fill out a card with the appropriate info and they'll call you when it's in.  I've even gotten a copy of Ian Skennerton's Enfield book from the Library of Congress.  They wouldn't let me check it out but they kept it for in-library use (and copying) for at least 2 weeks.  Most of the library ladies call me the guns and ammo guy.  I think they may shiver when they think of the books I've gotten in.  It may even save you a few bucks and if you really like it you can order it online.  I'm cheap because I have to save my money for my A series rifles - AR/AK.
jd1  
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:37:59 AM EDT
[#1]
What's up with the clock again???
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey, here's an idea

Freeze water and get ice!!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The best part is the look on the librarians face when I put Death From Afar,vols.1&2, and Ted Nugents God,Guns and Rock and Roll in front of her.Priceless.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
jd1, you've got a great idea!  I've been doing this for some time with great success!  I've been able to get old, valuable, out of print, signed editions,..... you name it!

If your local library has a good inter-library loan agreement, you are not limited to libraries in the U.S.!  Sometimes you must declare a willingness to pay delivery charges.  So the more you offer, the greater the chance you will get the book you want.  I have NEVER had to pay for delivery!

Our library has the inter-library loan on-line!  I was able to locate sources for your book by Ian D. Skennerton on the Enfield, in a matter of seconds.  ISBN: 0949749257  You can also request a copy from the National Library of Australia! ;-)  BUT, your chances are better through the Library of Congress.

I don't request books from the ATF Library and haven't had any luck with the CIA in Langley, VA.  BUT, I have had luck with requests I've sent to EVERY military library!  The U.S. Army Military Institute has been exceedingly helpful!

If you need any help locating a book, feel free to e-mail me!

And as Hoople stated, the looks on the librarians' faces when you get your gun books is priceless!  Give the girls a fruit basket or something every once in a while to show you appreciate their efforts.  A librarian on your side is something good to have, if you intend on doing any sort of serious research!

DaMan  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top