Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2002 10:29:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#1]
and by cool, you mean TOTALLY SWEET, right?  

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Crusader: Causing people to crap their pants the world over.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Uh, hello?! The people who build the thing aren't going to put out promotional materials about how much the cost overruns will be or where it is deficient!  If you want to know what a boondoggle this Crusader thing is, you have to go look at what the critics of it are saying.

Why does the US need another SPG?  It is for fighting wars that aren't ever going to play out unless we really are the evil empire bent on world domination.

The money would be better spent giving military people a raise or even better than that, giving everyone a tax cut.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want to know what a boondoggle this Crusader thing is, you have to go look at what the critics of it are saying.
View Quote

Yep, if you wanna find out the truth about something, just ask the people who are 100% against it in the first place. Sarah Brady will tell you [b]exactly[/b] what the 2nd amendment means.

Why does the US need another SPG?  It is for fighting wars that aren't ever going to play out unless we really are the evil empire bent on world domination.
View Quote

Because the M109 series is obsolete and outranged by many of our potential enemies' artillery. And if you think we'll never fight a war where we'll need lots of artillery with the capabilities of Crusader, well, I think you're living in a dreamworld. You can't depend on MLRS to do things that guns are best for (such as DS), and tactical air isn't always a minute or 2 away like artillery is.

The money would be better spent giving military people a raise or even better than that, giving everyone a tax cut.
View Quote

I just got out a little over 3 years ago, and I can honestly say I rarely heard anyone seriously bitching that they needed a raise. I think most soldiers who've been in their unit long enough to have a couple field exercises under their belts value having equipment that's in good shape and that they know won't break down on a road march more than they value a few extra dollars in their pockets.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
NH2112
Couldn't have said it better myself.  

Too bad all those who declare the need for tube artillery aren't the ones under the fire and out of range of retaliation when the butcher bill needs to be paid.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Too bad all those who declare the need for tube artillery aren't the ones under the fire and out of range of retaliation when the butcher bill needs to be paid.
View Quote

DECLARE or DECRY???

????  I am not in any threat and I want you guys to have all the Artillery that you can put your hands on. Are you sure your scentence reads as intended??

I am fully aware of who pays the butcher bills.  And I am thankful.

Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

DECLARE or DECRY???

????  I am not in any threat and I want you guys to have all the Artillery that you can put your hands on. Are you sure your scentence reads as intended??

I am fully aware of who pays the butcher bills.  And I am thankful.

View Quote

I'm sure he just missed a word.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
your right, my mistake should have read "declare the lack of need"
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem at all.  I usually would have just skipped it, but arguments for a weapons system from an Arty man , well I know our discussions won't matter a hill of beans but It is still important to me.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#11]
    You know, anytime the U.S. tries to predict its future wars and threats it usually gets it wrong. All thru my short time in the military all you hear is "the cities will be where the fight is" and so forth . Expecting nothing but a MOUT scenario. Well holy shit, there's not too many cities in Afghanistan are there? Kinda like there not being any more wars after WWl, or the Air Force declaring in the 50s that all air to air would be limited to missiles in the future, and that new fighters didn't need guns.

On the battlefield, HE (artillery) is what kills the enemy. Nothing else comes close. And if it doesn't kill him, it keeps him disorganized as hell,unable to fight effectively. And if war happens, this infantryman would like the best arty available covering my ass,not some underranged pre Vietnam system.

It's always nice when we get a pay raise, but I would rather not have it at the expense of equipment. Besides ,Joe's just gonna spend all the extra money on beer anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top