Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2002 5:18:55 AM EDT
LASIK!!! [:D]

I just had LASIK Friday morning!! I can’t believe it, I CAN SEE!!!!!!

After researching the “$299 an eye guys” I almost decided not to get the procedure done by anyone! However I found a real ophthalmologist(?) (eye surgeon) who I trusted to do the LASIK.

If you ever decide to have it done DON'T WATCH THE CCTV OF THE PERSON HAVING IT DONE BEFORE YOU!!! I’m not a queasy person, but if I hadn’t already paid I might have got up and walked out.

The procedure only lasted approx. 60 seconds total but the prep/post time made the total time almost 30 minutes. I didn’t feel A THING on the right eye and only minor “pressure” on the left eye. I had it done around 10am and was driving and seeing almost 100% by 4pm. That afternoon. I went to the doctor the following morning for a follow-up. My acuity will take up to 8 weeks to stabilize but as of now I’m seeing between 20/10 & 20/15!!! Unbelievable!!

Cost was $1,799 for both eyes and includes any “touchups” needed for three or six months but the Doc seriously doubts he’ll be seeing me except for normal checkups.

AWSOME!!!

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Does this mean you can use open sights again??[:D]
CONGRATS!!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:37:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Open sights?!?!

My vision is so good now, (In my best mexican accent) I don't need no stinkin sights!!

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool!  $3,598/hour... I want THAT job!
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#4]
What was your original vision? Nearsighted or farsighted? Any astigmatism?

I'm considering having this done next year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the club!  I had mine done just over 15 months ago and everything is GREAT.  I was practically blind before, and every day I can't believe I don't need glasses or contacts.  I wish they had this when I was younger (I'm 36).
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Original Vision:
Near Sighted~Could not see far away.
Left Eye:  20/100
Right Eye: 20/150
VERY Slight Astigmatism.  So slight that it    was not a factor in my eyeglass perscription.

[b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][i]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#7]
oh darn, I have serious near sight and serious astigmatism. Does Lasik work for people like me also?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
oh darn, I have serious near sight and serious astigmatism. Does Lasik work for people like me also?
View Quote

Do some research and find a respected, successful, experienced LASIK doc in your area. The consultation is free, usually. He'll be able to answer your questions about how good a candidate you are after a few easy tests.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:53:15 AM EDT
[#9]
[img=left]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/lasik.jpg[/img=left]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats.  Looks like I'll have to go back for a touch up on my eyes.  But it's cool not having to wear glasses.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#11]
gardenWeasel,
That's cruel![:(!] But cool![8D]

coyote3
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL! [:D]

mtnpatriot: Congrats!

I've been thinking about it, I'm tired of wearing glasses. I can't wear contacts due to stigmatism.
I just am worried about the "if it goes wrong" scenario...I'm afraid of coming out worse than I already am......
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I have followed corrective eye surgery for about 20 years, all the way back to radial keratotamy. The technology has definately made advances with PK, PRK and now the laser.

The only thing that keeps me hesitant in doing it is the fact that it hasn't been around long enough to study the long-term side effects of any scarring, etc... as people age and become elderly. I would hate that I had many years of clear vision, only to learn that I was going blind because of scarring late in life.

I have strongly considered getting it done many times though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

[}:D]

Link Posted: 5/12/2002 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Congrats!  Had mine done last Sept. and it was the greatest thrill to be able to not depend upon those annoying contacts.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm about 20/400 with astigmatism.  The doc says I'm a perfect candidate for the procedure, but I'm afraid of something going wrong, or getting permanent "starlight's" in my peripheral vision<--------have you experienced that yet?
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]
congratulation. [beer]

Does this mean you will be a better shot? [:D]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
> Left Eye: 20/100
> Right Eye: 20/150

And they did surgery?  My wife's vision is about 20/120 in both eyes, and her job would pay for 80% of the procedure so we went to a consultation.  The doctor recommended against it, because her vision wasn't that bad.  I couldn't imagine spending $1,800 for a modest improvement.  Of course when the doctor found-out that my vision was about 20/2500, he starting a hard-sell.  I'm too used to using my thick polycarbonate lenses as safety glasses to not wear them.  I'd probably hurt myself from forgetting to put on safety glasses.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top