Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 8:32:59 PM EDT
now showing on showtime, check your listings for replay. shows the entire movie with left out" director francis ford coppola cut's" a must see. here is the next showings are 5/16/2002 8:00pm, showtime east 5/31/2002 12:00am
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have it on DVD and personally I think Coppola was right on when he left it on the cutting room floor.  I thought the extra stuff detracted from the story and in fact changed the statement the original film was trying to make.  I especially didn't like the Willard screwing the french opium slut part.  What point did that make?  This said, I think that if you want to see a decent movie about the Vietnam war rent "We Were Soldiers" when it gets released.  I for one am sick of movies about Vietnam made by red diaper doper babies who didn't go and who probably protested it.  Having spoken to several vets who were there, I take their word for it that Stone and Copolla didn't know what they were talking about.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Jack, Michael Savage listener too? I agree, but I did like the political discussion by the Frenchies at dinner, and can't forget the "bunny" sex scene, too funny. Watched it on my laptop with good headphones on, WOW, great sounds. Almost as headsplitting as the DDay landing in SPR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Saw it! Loved it.  I loved the first one and this one even more.  When all the kids were looking in on Willard, while captured in Kurtz's Cambodian camp and you saw Kurtz looking in too....creepy!  When the bunny asked Mr. Clean who he was and he said "I'm next mam", I was rolling in the floor.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I just watched it last night. I personally LIKE all the extras. It added more information that I always thought was missing.

The French Plantation was hard to follow (damn french accents), but it brought home the moral conflicts that goes one in one's mind when being put in that situation.

I don't think the women was a "french opium slut". She was another victim, that was feeling lonely, and that Willard reminded her of her lost husband. She was trying to bring back pleasant memories.

I also enjoyed the "stealing of the surfboard". It provided a nice humors sidenote. I dont' understand why he took it out in the first place. It was so short. I do have to rewind and play the dialog again when Willard was walking with Lance to the boat. It was difficult to hear.

I really liked that they left out the blowing up the mountianard compound at the end for the credits. I was a confusing for me the first time. I thought that Willard DID call in the air strike. But Showtime did the interviews at the end, and Copolla explained that they had to blow up the set for safety. And they put it in FOR the credits (as the orginal handed out written programs instead).

Running time of ~3.5 hours was LONG!!! But well worth it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2002 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Jack, Michael Savage listener too?
View Quote

Yessir! Every chance I get. In my opinion he beats the crap out of Rush, Hannity, Boortz, and especially O'Reilly!  

I guess I will give REDUX another watch, perhaps it was I who missed the point.  Its just that when I was a kid, I was into the original.  It made me go out and read Conrad's Heart of Darkness, upon which the movie was based.  I guess it (the book more than the movie) was critical to my accepting that "there is a dark side, and good does not always triumph over evil..." Like I said, at the time I was young.  Anyway, maybe I am reading more into A.N. than I should be.  I just thought some of the extras took away from the 'serious subject' the movie centered on i.e. the struggle of good v. evil in the midst of insanity, can "good" be good when it seems indistinguishable from the "evil" it opposes, etc... I could go on but then I'm just a little man....  I did like the dinner discussion at the French plantation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top