Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2002 12:17:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Where does it say six years?  I read nine.

What if all his shoots were righteous?

Then they should promote him, make him their firearms instructor, buy him an LEGP, and a case of his favorite scotch!!!

Who knows?
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:51:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
But a new investigation was ordered during a controversy about his record. The report from that still-secret investigation concluded that the fatal shootings were improper, but police did not seek criminal charges against him and then-Wayne County Prosecutor John O'Hair didn't bring charges.
View Quote

Let's read that part a-g-a-i-n[IMG]http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/corky/smilies23.gif[/IMG]

but police did not seek criminal charges against him and then-Wayne County Prosecutor John O'Hair didn't bring charges.
View Quote

[IMG]http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/ed/SniperHeadShot2.gif[/IMG]

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they should transfer this guy to Prince Georges County, Md?
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=115719[/url]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Police say Brown has been involved in more shootings than any of the more than 4,000 Detroit police officers. [red]He was cleared in the initial investigations and received two top police awards.[/red] But a new investigation was ordered during a controversy about his record. The report from that [red]still-secret investigation concluded that the fatal shootings were improper,[/red] but police did not seek criminal charges against him and then-Wayne County Prosecutor John O'Hair didn't bring charges.

That was from the article, I made the red highlight. I'm not sure about this situation (FYI). It seems that if you are a cop for a relatively short time, and you are involved in more shooting than any other cop on the force there may be a problem.

Although locally I knew a cop that was in 2 on duty shootings, 1 because other officers failed to use deadly force when it would have been apropriate, and in failing to do so put this cop in an incredibly bad tactical situation. The other time was also clearly justified. He was just finding BG's very frequently, like I'm sure many of you want the police to do.

9 shootings in 9 years 3 dead and 1 wounded. I'm maybe not clear on this but was he actually the officer doing the shooting in all those incidents? Or was he present at some where other officers were involved in a shooting?

I also wonder how he was cleared in the initial investigations of those shootings, then the shooting were re-invetigated, in secret(?!) and the shootings were found to be "improper". What exactly is "improper"?? It doesn't say illegal.

How would you like to be investigated, and cleared, then find out a "secret" investigation has a different conclusion?

EDIT:

And the report is still secret?? How does that work?? We got proof that he did it right here, and we won't show it to you. Hmmmmmm why would that be?

I think the 6 vs 9 years thing, perhaps he was a police officer for 3 years prior to the first shooting??
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Living in Detroit, working with DPD on an almost daily basis and knowing some of the primarys in this case, I can say this...Councilwoman Brenda Scott is right, this guy is a cancer that needs to be radiated!
One of the young men that he shot was mentally impaired, another his partner helped cover up/ screwed up the investigation into the shooting. Believe me NO ONE has ever accused the DPD of having very good cops. Lessee...Narcotics officers stealing money and drugs from dopeboys...uniformed officers ROBBING pedestrians at gun point...officers commiting B&E's. Unfortunately the list goes on and on.
How many cities do you know of that lower their standards for police officer applicants because the applicants can't make the test scores or have too many FELONIES??
I'm not sure who scares me more the "gangbangers" in my neighborhood or the "police" paid to protect me.[BD]

At least the gangbangers are afraid of my guns.[X]rocko.

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Let's try to stick to this guy. Was the guy "profiled" on a TV news magazine for one of the shootings, perhaps a man dowtown, with a knife?

Am I the only one that is troubled by secret investigations? That aren't released but the police saying the facts are in there, but you can't look.

If he is so bad why didn't the police request charges? Why didn't the DA's office? Why wasn't a grand jury seated to investigate the incident(s)?? If his partner "covered up" and it came be proved why wasn't he prosecuted for Obstrcting Justice, making a false report etc??

As far as what Rocko says about DPD, where are the citizens of Detroit?? Have they demanded higher standards for the DPD? How well does DPD pay? If Detriot pays it's cops bare minimum, and the standars for hiring are bare minimum, they get bare minimum cops.

Stolen for the DPD web-site

THE DETROIT POLICE DEPARTMENT ACCEPTS INFORMATION CARDS DAILY MONDAY-FRIDAY, BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8:30 A.M. TO 6:00 P.M. AT THE RECRUITING UNIT, 14655 Dexter Avenue,  Phone Number: 313.596.2660.

Salary/Benefits

Competitive [red] We all know what it means when they don't put an actual number, don't we [/red]

Medical, dental and optical plans

College tuition reimbursement

Twenty (20) days vacation per year  Eight (8) paid holidays each year Twelve (12) sick days per year

Pension plan Deferred compensation plan

Department issued uniforms and equipment

Additional Pay Longevity pay Off-duty court appearances Shift differential pay(afternoon/midnight shifts)

Uniform cleaning allowance

Basic Requirements

At least 18 Years Old.

United States Citizen.

Applicant's vision must be 20/20, or corrected to 20/20, in each eye.  Depth and color perception must be normal.

High School Graduate or G.E.D.

Applicant must possess a valid driver's license (at time of application).

No Felony Conviction.

Misdemeanor arrest are subject to review on an individual basis.

Applicant must be capable of performing the essential functions of a police officer with or without accommodation as determined by the hiring criteria.

Women & Minorities are Encouraged to Apply!

Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:28:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
If i remember correctly he has a hard time keeping his finger of the trigger, there were atleast two negligent discharges included in the 9 situations.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locway/shoot17_20000517.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locway/shootb17_20000517.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locway/sbio17_20000517.htm[/url]

Tuuka, you were dead on. 1 ND is real bad, 2 ND's is...........

[url]http://www.freep.com/news/locway/shoot16_20000516.htm[/url]

It says that 207 officers died working for the DPD as of 1999, for reference 203 officers have died in all of WI since 1844.

For,(Imbroglio), those of you that say officer safety is overemphasized, if you keep from putting yourslef in a dangerous situation it is less likely not only that you'll get shot at but that you will have to shoot at anyone. That means less cops shot, fewer suspects shot, and fewer lawsuits. But Imbroglio has a better idea.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top