Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2002 1:36:21 PM EDT
i am looking for a new color printer.
i have seen one in best buy for $100.00 that look ok. i think it was a cannon c60, 2880.
it this what i want?   horror stories?
is there a better one out there?  Do I need three separate pots of color ink?

i want a nice printer how much do i have to spend?  100.00-200.00?
i'm a gun guy not a computer guy .
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
ive been real happy with my $50 lexmark z12. makes nice docs and pictures. it's slow, but considering inkjets seem to wear out every couple of years and i dont use them much, i cant justify paying hundreds of bucks. leaves more cash for guns 'n' ammo
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 1:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing to check before you get dragged in by the cheap printer prices - price out the ink cartridges!

There was a recent article in our paper about people complaining that their $50 printer used $35 ink cartridges.  They get you one way or another!  Something else the article mentioned was that some vendors were actually putting chips into their ink cartridges so that you were prevented from refilling them yourself (using one of those cheap ink-and-a-syringe kits) - effectively forcing you to buy their overpriced new ink.

Depending on the type of printing you're planning on doing, you might also want to check out the ink configuration - I've seen all these:

- One cartridge for all colors
- One cartridge for black, another for all other colors
- One cartridge for each individual color

Obviously, the final choice would be preferable, as you don't have to replace any cartridges that are not empty.  With the first option, if you print a lot of non-color (i.e. black) stuff, you end up having to scrap the whole thing even though there's plenty of color ink available.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally like HP printers. Unless you need picture quality pics and/or high speed, you can get a decent printer for under $200 and probably for under $100. See posts on cartridges, tho. HP's use one for black, and one for color. They typically run $30-$40 bucks each. I usually have to replace one or the other after about 500 pages.

good luck,

legrue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top